O'shaughnessy style hooks, Does anyone else use these

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by field989, May 29, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i usually use a o'shaughnessy style hooks got some in 3/0, and 5/0 imo very strong hooks

just would like to hear some opinnions on them and if i should try some different style hooks and different sizes,

also i fish live bluegill anywhere from 5" on up for flathead cats

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to fish 10/0 o'shaughnessy hooks for flatheads, they worked good..I now use circle hooks and kahles.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    whats the deal with kahles style hooks??? i have never seen 1 before,

why did u switch hook styles,

i was thinking of buying some 7/0 circle hooks, anything i should know about them

THANKS jeff

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Jeff, Pick You A Pack Of Eagle Claw Kahle Hooks If You Like The O'shaughnessy, The Kahle Hooks Work Great For Hooks That Yo Want To "Set The Hook With." On The Other Hand Circle Hooks Work Great & In My Opinion Have A Better Hook Up Rate But You Have To Remember Not To Try "To Set The Hook." The Fish Will Hook It's Self, You Have To Practice Patience. I Hope This Helps.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    the only problem for me is that i dont know of anywhere around here that sells that style of hooks, ive seen 7/0 circle hooks at wally world and i got some 6/0 gamak...(cant spell)

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok i found a website that sells them what size would u reccomend and what color, they range from 1.60 on up to 5.00 for a 6 pack

7. I've used the O'Shaugnessy hook in the past but now use circles almost exclusively. Believe it or not but I've seen some pretty big O'Shaughnessy hooks straighted or broke off. I think the Kahle's is a much better design for those who can't understand the simplicity of the circle hook. :0a33: One thing that I have tried to get away from is any hook, j or circle, that has a long shank. I think the long shank just adds leverage for the fish to pull against. I know shorter shanked hooks are harder to bait up and even harder to remove from a fish since there is less of a shank to grab hold of but I see fewer bent or straightened hooks on short shanks.
    BTW I see that eagle claw has a new short shanked O'Shaughnessy (#LE9021).

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    thanks ill have to look for them, i have read that the circle hooks take away some of the fight of the fish, is this true?

9. No. Unless you consider that a foul hooked fish has a little more leverage to give a harder fight. Foul hooking a fish is more likely to occur with a j hook by it's very design. Almost impossible with a circle.

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i think ill pick up a pack of circle hooks, might as well give em a try, so if i hear my line goin out i need to wait and then stop the line or when i notice it goin out stop the line and wait a second and then start fighting the fish....
    if not, what do i need to do?

thanks

11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    O shaughnessy hooks are an old time classic catfish hook.big tough and cheap

12. I don't even use a clicker. Just engage the reel and let the rod do the work. You really need a good solid rod holder that won't let the fish pull the rod in the water and it helps if the rod has a soft tip that lets the fish move a little with the bait. It is pressure that causes the circle hook to move into position and rotate into place.
    I also have luck holding the rod if I don't trust the holder or it has to stiff of a tip. When the fish first takes the bait I lower the rod and allow the fish to take up the slack then start reeling in slow until I feel the fish then slowly lift the rod tip. This should allow the hook to slide into place. I really don't start tugging and reeling until I can feel the fish is solidly attached.
    The only time I might use a clicker is if the fish are being really shy about taking the bait. Then I just let them run a short distance before engaging the reel.

13. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    but i dont have a rod holder lol