Osage State Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MR SANDMAN 800, Apr 12, 2009.

1. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went out to OSL yesterday and used shrimp for bait. The fishing was very slow, only had one bite in about 2 1/2 hours. It ended up being a wiper. Atleast the ultralight rod was keeping me busy. No bites, but the casting and reeling made time pass a little bit quicker. :wink:

Ended up driving around the whole lake. It was pretty cool being able to see down to the water in most areas because all the tall grass had been burnt recently. The lake is quite a bit bigger than I thought it was.

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Atleast you got out there Jaime. Thats all that matters.
    Thanks for the pics.

3. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    But I haven't caught much of any fish there the last couple years :sad2:, I gave up trying to figure out how to fish it and go there on occasion just relax and fish because of its convenience ( I believe it has smart fish in it )

Through the last 10-15 yrs I've seen at least 7 bank access spots closed off that I used to fish at on the east side. and my most favorite place at Osage is full of bass grass now..:smile2:

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    At least you caught something.I was down there yesterday morning for about two hrs and didn't even get a bite.

Did you happen to see the pair of loons that are down there.I got a few picture's of them.Bretty cool bird,that you dont see around here much.

5. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Has anyone checking on the stocking schedule with the consercation dept. yet for the year?

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yep...Follow Dan around when he's down there.I hear he release's some pretty big catfish around his boat.:smile2::wink:

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The fish are there, and in a week or so they will be waking up big time. Now I just need to get that water impeller replaced on the Merc and hit the water. There is no secert to the lake just read it like a river is all I do and then break it down in to sections.

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've only fished Osage Lake once and its been a good 12 years ago. Went fishing with a friend who decided to go to sleep in the car. I caught several good size largemouths 3-4lbs and about a 6 or 7lb channel cat. I woke him up 3 or 4 times to show him a fish. When he finally woke up in the morning he said "Wheres the stinger with them fish?". I said stringer? I let them all go! His jaw about hit the ground like I slapped him! Pretty darn funny! LOL I said you should have woke up and caught some fish if you wanted any.

I plan to hit the lake again sometime. Always hear good things about fishing it for channels.

9. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ask Catfish Shawn, It's a GREAT lake that's all I'm sayin:smile2::cool2:

10. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I saw a couple birds that may have been them, but they were way out in the middle of the lake, couldn't see them very well. I did see some vultures though. A couple were in a tree about 20 yards from me as I was leaving. It would've made a cool photo. Tried to get a pic, but the camera wouldn't zoom in enough for a clear pic. Then I tried to get a little closer...but must've invaded their bubble and they took off. :roll_eyes:

May head back up there this weekend if anyone is interested in fishing...

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Whenever the buzzards show up, I tend to move on. Makes me nervous.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I'm a little confused where my little buddy Patrick (BIG BAD osage "son") went to.

I really wanted to reply to him a few times:smile2:

But Keith that is the best movie ever made in my book.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    One of my favorites also Tom. We probably wont see him around till tourney time next year. :smile2:

14. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Don't we have a tree err channel cat to hug? Dang hippies! LMAO:smile2:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Save the big channels !!! :big_smile:

16. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Thankfully the channels big and small are plentiful and widely distributed.
    What's wrong with hippies now?

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Michael,
    according to some people it makes you a tree hugging hippie if you release big channel cats. LOL :big_smile:

18. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    i must be one then, peace brother :big_smile:

19. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I must be a hippie to. Keep the small ones let the big ones go so someone else has a chance at the adrenaline rush.:big_smile: