Osage State Lake today

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Dsage, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Went to Osage for a couple of hours today. Did not exect much going in since my normal place to get shad is really under water. Man they got some rain in that area. I ran down to the Dragoon for a minute to see what it was like and it was crazy. The dock was moved up about 60 ft. really was not moving much either. No shad there either. So I decided to still try the state lake and use stink bait and the Walmart shad. ( I know it sucks but a freind gave it to me) Well I hit my normal hole and I was only getting little hits nothing really wanted to get hooked. After an hour on the water a boat came by and I guess it moved the water just right casue that made the big one come out and play. First one was a nice 4lb 10oz thick guy. The next went 2lbs, the third went 4lb 2oz and that is when my other pole took off. So I dropped the other fish and set the hook. Next thing I know is my Catfish Safari pole is bent ver double. THis is the nice one I have been waiting on. I got him to surface 3 time and then he took me in to branch that was in the water. I start to move over to him and he starts to run on me . Then it happened the dip bait knot came undone. The line did not break it came un tied. after that I caught 3 more 2lb and 3lb and then I had the big ones again the next one was a 15lb 5oz dude and then I had a 1lb 5oz nugget. The last one was 10lb 9oz. Not to bad for stink bait. Noting hit the shad it just sat there.

PS the 15lb one look smaller than the one I lost. But who knows with out actually getting him to the scale.. Maybe next time. I will tell you that all the fish fought like crazy. What a lake and what a day. I cant wait to see what the weight to win the tourney tonight will be.

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice fish, I was thinking about heading out there today, and maybe getting in the tourney tonight. I don't think I could make it all night though.

Thanks for the report, I'll be out that way tomorrow. How deep were they?

3. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    good job man i hope i get out to fishin tommorow on the river

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    They were all in 2 to 3 foot of water. It really kinda took me back for a minute catching them on stink bait.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Dan , which part of the lake were you fishing at ?

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    What a day of fishing you had Dan.

With the water temps reaching the high 70's its time for the old dip baits to start working.

7. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    the osage tournament winning big fish was 20 pounds 6 ounces

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you must of fished that area out Dan. i hit the dragoon boat ramp about 10-1030. fished for a few hours but no action. that area is flooded purdy good.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Keith I was on the east end of the lake up in one of the arms.

JJ you said it right about the boat ramp. I have not seen it that high in a long time. I watched 2 guys in a 10ft jon launch from there yesterday.

It was about time that I hooked in to some fish. I did have the camera but it really does not work to good with 2 sets of dead bateries. I did get 2 pics of the Dragoon before it died for good.

10. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    THE CAT IN MY PHOTO WAS THE SECOUND PLACE BIG FISH IN THE OSAGE TOURNAMENT. IT WAS 19 EVEN. WE TOOK FIRST IN THE THREE MAN WITH 5 FISH AT 50 POUNDS.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Nice cat there. What did you catch that one on?

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats a real nice channel cat Jeremy. Congratulations. :big_smile:

13. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That was at Osage state lake during the all night tournament last sat & sun.

14. JCONWAY

JCONWAY New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think the baithut is going to have another tournament this fall!:big_smile:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hit Osage last night with my buddy Paul and his dad on their boat. Caught over 50 channels alltogether. 13.2 lbs. biggest , all the rest were 1 1/2 - 3 lbs. We fished each creek arm on the east side, and nothing, went to the dam, nothing. Finally about 2am we went to the west side creek arm by the last feeder in that shallow , mossy, crap, and I caught the big one on chicken livers. We threw live gills, cut gills, and cut shad at them , and all they wanted was chicken livers. From 7am-10am we sat in front of the feeder by the boat ramp, the feeder went off, and we were tearing up the eaters on chicken livers with no weight. Just letting it free fall. Get this, Pauls dad caught a 15 inch shad on chicken livers by the feeder. I could not believe it. If not for the 13 lber. , it would have felt like a wasted night, that I could have been fishing elsewhere. My other few trips out to Osage this season have not been very productive. Ive caught all my big channels this season at Olathe Lake with cut bait. From now on , when I go to Osage, chicken livers will be with me. :big_smile:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/132lb.jpg

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    nice picture keep it up and remember fishing is alot better than working any day

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Nice one Keith. Are you gonna bring me some fillets?:wink::smile2:

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice Channel Keith.

I dont agree that it take's a 13 pounder to make a night.

Catching over 50 cats in one trip up to 3lbs would keep me coming back.

Of course I dont just go after BIG ones every time I go if i catch a mess like you did i fill pretty dang good about that.
    There are a lot of fisherman out there that dont catch that many no matter what size all yr long.

Again congrats Keith on the 13 pounder.

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats on the Nice Channel There Keith:big_smile:. Hopefully The Fish Will Turn On Again Soon As I Gave Up Livers Long Ago.

20. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Did you cpr the 13 pounder?