Osage Skipjack w/ a picture

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We went fishing again and managed to catch one more skipjack. I took a picture of one this time to prove that I ain't crazy. Yes this is the same type of fish that my buddy caught that was probably 20" long the other day. :wink:

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If you had a 4 pounder the other day you should have kept it. Would have been a record!:eek:oooh:

3. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I'm thinking the third picture is a bass, not a skipjack. Anyone agree?:eek:oooh:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Are they now bait? or maybe on the smoker...... yep them would be put on the smoker I do believe. Dang nice looking, bet they were a blast!

5. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where are catching these things at. I see you are in Owensville. I am outside of St. Clair. Just wondering.

6. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Looks like a skipjack to me.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Lots of bait !!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh::smile2:

Looks like skipjack to me, thanks for the pics Seth... Looks like he got it on a small crankbait... what was the structure and currant like where he caught it???

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Whoever thinks the third picture might be a bass is incorrect. All three pictures are of the same fish. It was caught near the MariOsa access. It was caught near the mouth of where the Maries flows in to the Osage. There really wasn't any structure around, but I did see it porpoise right before we threw over and caught it.

We only caught the lone skipjack this trip. They aren't plentiful, but there are a few there. I just didn't want people to think I was blowing smoke. That drives me crazy that we had a new state record with that huge one my buddy caught the other day. All well, maybe he'll bite for us again and we'll be ready to keep him next time.

Oh and the skipjack was released. Don't plan on catfishing for a while yet, so I didn't bother keeping him since it was just one.

10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    dang nice skip jack there bud

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a heck of a skip jack. Wow

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    To deep of a fork in the tail to be a bass.

13. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Man that's one monster skipjack I would have froze it for bait that would last a whole day of fishing.

14. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Nice fish bro! It is always fun to catch differant fish than the ones you are targeting.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats most definitely three photos of a skipjack herring. I'm not real surprised to see the species making its way up our river systems considering we were under flood conditions for several months. I hope the trend continues as the kittens will most definitely follow the food. :big_smile:

As for size, thats about an average size skippy depending on where you get them at. Its most common around here to get the skips in the 6-10 inch range, however down in Pickwick and Wilson Lakes in Alabama those things are monstrous. 3 years ago at the Cabelas King Kat Classic in Sheffield, I had to chop all of my sabikis off as I was unable to reel in 4 2 and half pound fish at the same time :eek:oooh: Man those things were huge!!!!! I'd say Seths fish is about the average size you can get at Ky Dam and Cumberland City with some running considerable larger.

Thanks for sharing the story Seth. Thats pretty neat you have some running out your way.