osage rookie

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, May 4, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Going to Osage tomorrow perch jerkin .... heard the crappie are biting there will probably try some kitties as well. I have fished Carbondale up the road but never been to osage sfl. what's the best bait there? I have shad heads,turkey liver, worms and dip bait. How deep have you been fishing. Are there any hot spots I should know about? What about motor restrictions? I'll be in my Jon Boat I'm sure I'll have at least 5-10 gallons of soybeans to chum with. Did catch 10 crappie at Melvern on sunday one 16.5" and 2.7 lbs only had 2 keepers still pretty deep. Didn't catch any at Pomona but went to the spillway and caught a 3lb walleye batteries died on digital camera so no shots.

2. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My buddy and I went to Osage today and were catching a lot of perch on night crawlers. We also pulled in a 17 lbs channel and a 19 lbs channel. We were catching the perch along the edge and around the brush.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice crappie Eric.

I fished the delaware on Sat and caught 34 crappie in 1.5' of water with a jig and cork all were males.They avg about 11" with the biggest at 13".

Then fished the flats at Old town at Perry yesterday and caught 6 cats, biggest was 4.5lbs.
    All on shrimp soaked in dead red.
    Fish were in 1.5 to 3' of water.

Had a nice fry last night of fish and mushrooms.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    went to Hillsdale Monday caught a limit of 10" plus crappies right on the bank took about 4 hours less than 5' out from the rip-rap.

5. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    thanks for the report eric. no crappie out of clinton yet for me. i may have to drive out to hillsdale for some crappie action. i've always had better luck there fishing for crappie than anywhere else.

6. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    hey Jake I used to fish Clinton a lot last couple years have'nt done any good there not a very good rating for crappie this year as opposed to Hillsdale and Melvern which have excellent ratings. Of course it seems that I specialize in 9 3/4" crappie some days it might take 100 to get my 20 that are 10". Of course the last couple years we kicked butt at Pomona which has only a mediocre rating. no length limit and a limit of 50 though. I have a personal 9" limit on crappie. Once I get a good stock in the freezer then I become much more selective. Before last weekend there wasn't anything in there. We eat crappie bluegill or walleye at least once a week all year long. You can catch 'em at Clinton...probably not in the Marina cove by the bucketfull like we used to.For 2 weeks out of the year I become a crappie fisherman. As soon as the feeders are on at Pleasonton then that status will change. I'd like to go out on the Kaw out of the ramp on the wakarusa in Eudora. Will be going crappie fishing sunday and monday gimme a pm if you're interested in going. Should have room on the boat.

7. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Thanks, I sent you a pm. I wasnt aware that there were that many crappie in the Kaw.

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Here's some pic from Sun.
    My fishing buddies doing a fine net job and some eating size cats getting ready for the table.

Attached Files:

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, fine mess of Cats. Hope we can provide this good for you at Milford next month. Caught a couple more Blues tonight, eaters, 3+. Gotta keep reminding myself to leave "ONE" for the YEPPA:smile2:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey Jim , you think we might be able to hook up some of those smoked catfish during the Gathering in June?

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing the pics with us and keeping us updated on how your fishing trip went for you im glad to hear that you caught you some fish them fish in the pic looks like good eating size fish, glad to hear you done good and good luck from here on out on the rest of your fishing trips hope you catch you some good ones.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Keith, first you "hook'em up", than you can smoke'em!:smile2::smile2:

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I missed out on Jims smoked catfish at osage but I heard it's bretty dang good.

Jim i plan to bring my smoker and wood to Milford. If you lead the way we can fire it up and smoke some cats for everyone to snack on during the weekend.

(Maybe we can be rewarded with a couple of beers while we are cooking):wink:

14. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Looks like you guys are staying really busy this time of year.

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kevin hope you can make it to Milford in June to help us all catch some cats in Jim's backyard..:wink:

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, beers should not be a reward, but a requirement!!!!!:wink::smile2:
    Kevin, that'd be great if you can make it, I do believe this is gonna be GREAT!

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I like your way of thinking Jim!!

Busch for me:wink:

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, I soak mine in brine overnight, that way they're saturated. But we can smoke some on the spot, that'd still be good. I've got a good supply of smoking chips, I believe there's apple and apricot in it. Got it from Jerald when he trimmed his fruit trees.

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    We will be coming out on Thursday evening maybe if i can catch some cats you can show me how to get them ready and I can get them soaking for Friday on Sat snacks.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom, that sounds good, give me a call when you get here, just not before 10:30am:big_smile:I go to bed late and get up late:roll_eyes: Don't remember if I gave you my cell or not. Gave it out a lot this week:smile2: