Osage River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MRR, Nov 9, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I've been working up in the Jeff City area this week and spotted a very nice looikng river (far as rivers go) off of highway 50 East of Jeff City. Looks like it has a pretty nice boat ramp and everything. What I really want to know is what is the most abundant fish to be caughtin that stretch of water Flats ,Channels or Blues.Can't really picture to many Blues (water looks to calm).Thinking about maybe making a trip up that way sometime(if I ever get my boat running again):sad2: so any info you guys from that area can give me is much appericated.Like your Honeyholes ,etc:roll_eyes: yeah right.You could tell me and I still wouldn't know. Thanks in advance.

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Believe it or not John, the Osage is known for some pretty hefty blues. I dont know if they are that far down. But I would assume they are. Probably have to wait till they are running water at Bagnell.

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    John,
    I live right there on the Osage just down river from the ramp at hwy 50 (Mari-Osa access).
    You are only about 6 miles upriver from the Missouri. Closer to the Missouri on the lower Osage is where Virgil Agee is known to have caught several blues approaching the 100# mark.

I have just started this catfishing thing, but have caught a lot of nice channel and a few flatheads just fishing from my dock on summer nights.

The river is about as low as it's been all this year. With a prop boat you could make it to the railroad bridge down steam, but then it gets a little hairy at this water level without a jet.

You can buy bait and tackle right there at the camp ground before the access.

A lot of people fish from the bank below the ramp under the bridge all night during the summer months.

Good luck.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    John...here is an article I came across while doing a google search. Pretty neat reading, I'd really like to go out with that 'ol Virgil!! Give it a read, you'll enjoy it! Oh, yeah...Virgil talks about the BIG BLUES!!!!

http://www.uscats.org/blue_catfish-001.htm

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    John,
    I have fished the lower Osage many times the last year, and last week was the last time cought 15 goldeye on rooster tails , had lots of freh cut bait but no cats cought. 71/2 lb. blue was the biggest I cought there. Lots of gar and sturgen last winter. Is a beautiful place. We usually put in at Bonnets Mill Mo. Consv. Ramp. If there are not running water at Bagnel Dam , Just below the rail road bridge is about as far upstream as you can go with a prop rig.And if you put in close to hwy 50 ther is an old lock and dam foundation up stream. Becareful going up stream to far over night , if they close the gates at the dam the water will drop real fast , You may wake up with out enough water to get home on. Paul

6. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are a few river accesses around JC. The Moreau River is right on HWY 50 next the highway patrol headquarters. With the water low I would only jet boat that river, lot of submerged timber and the mouth leading the the missouri is about 1/8 mile of 1 ft mud bottom, almost impossible to navigate. Everyone else has given you good info about the Osage, nice river but when it's low you need to be prepared to wade some of the sand bars as some places 3 ft of water is the most you will find for small stretches. I was at the confluence yesterday with the Missouri and it definately was only a trickle. Good luck and be safe.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Richard... You're going to have to come to one of our get togethers, so we can show you how to use a 14.00 castnet and never BUY bait again..hehehe

8. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Paul, where did you catch the goldeneye at? I tried a sabiki some yesterday when I got bored and didn't have much luck.