osage river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by duck_killr, Feb 18, 2009.

1. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    i would like to try my hand at the osage river for big blues, does any one have any suggestions, i am not asking for coordinates, just some gereral info like what parts of the river are better, what towns to launch from, your favorite river levels to fish, things like that. also any warnings about dangerous situations on that particular river would be nice thanks

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    John I have fished the osage only a couple of times with very little success. However the guys I know that fish it do very well. I do know you have to watch how much water Lake of the Ozarks is releasing. I went two weeks ago and traveled 24 miles on water and was never deeper than 2 1/2 feet! We put in at the hwy 50/63 boat ramp or Mari-Osa put in. The only deep holes were up river about 200 yards from the boat ramp. Thats were we caught some channel cats!

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I plan to try my luck this Spring.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I would be up for a trip. Haven't fished it for years.

5. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey we can make plans at the lead pour on the 7th.

6. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Jon don't forget that we still need to plan that river fishing trip on the missouri this year!

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've fished the Osage near Taberville a few times. Never really caught anything big but did catch some nice channels there. One thing for sure, that area is SNAKE INFESTED so come prepared. Looks like good flathead waters. Chris

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats what happened to me also, we tied up near the bank and 2 got in the boat, saw several more swimming near the boat. The catfish got a few free snake meals courtesy of my 410 snake charmer :wink: Chris

9. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    if you want to fish for big blue cats the time is now and anytime they are running water . I have fished that river for many years but mostly for walleye. My biggest blue cat was caught on a walleye crank bait 48 inches long 30 and a half inches long and was released. Just up from the boat ramp at Mari- Osa boat ramp there will be a trash pile on the bank I have caught sevearl blues over 30lbs. Another spot if you launch at Bonnets Mills, MO boat ramp, go down stream to the mouth of the Osage and the MO river, look there. I've hooked 2 blue cats bigger than the 48 incher I caught , but they kicked my butt:big_smile: I hoped this will help you fish that end of the Osage River.

PS look for skipjacks at the end of the dike best place I know to find them.

10. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    When I fish the Osage river at Jefferson City I use the NOAA website to check and see if they are running water first. Go to website click on water then put curser on the St. Louis dot then go to the St. Thomas
    dot if the gauge is higher than 2.9 ft usually that means they are running water at Bagnell dam . Click on Jefferson City dot if the river stage is higher than 8ft no problem running the river from Mari-OSA to the lock (upstream) or down to the mouth of the MO river I hope this helps.

11. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    You guys when in and around the mouth of Sac and up the Sac, If you see snakes swimming, in river and their whole body's on top of water, their probably cottonmouth, their pretty thick, their, found one a week ago sunning half way up a bluff, same day I seen you Jon. A young one, mom wasn't far, dog days they get brave., mating season I think. their a few up and down river, mainly up. They do come to you some times when fishing and talking, viberation, against law to kill. Some die, of natural causes, because a stick fell on them.
    Jim

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I spit my pop out..... :smile2: Dam sticks.

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Catching some crappies, plan to try for some walleys below the dam. Should be starting any time. Lots of snakes in the rip rap though. Need a heavy action rod. :wink:

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Come on up some time Jon. They have been running some water. I have seen quit a few guys catching cats from the bank too.

16. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey Joe have you ever fished the Missouri around Glasglow?

17. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Kevin that is next on my list!! I have a few friends that do so I am looking forward to it this year and also going to waverly to pre-fish for the Katking tourny.

18. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Man I wish I could make it! I work saturdays and I'm only off on sunday's and wednesdays, I could really use some weights. The buddy that fished with me at the Safari Shootout is planning on partnering up with me for the Katking.

19. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its all fun and games till a snake falls in the boat.