Osage River Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Terry Day, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Haven't been on here for a while due to circumstances beyond my control. Am ready to get back to it. I have a question for those of you familiar with the Osage from the dam LOZ to where it dumps into the Missouri. My sons father-in-law wants to take a fishing trip down the Osage this spring. I have searched the net and haven't really been able to find out anything. Guess I'm looking in the wrong places. I figured someone on here would know. It looks to me like it is at least 60 miles and will probably take at least two days. I know for sure that I can't carry that much gas. Need to know where to go to find out all of the public use areas along the Osage as well as any places close enough to the river to restock. Does MDC have anything on the Osage? I went to their site and couldn't find anything. I have a friend on the water patrol, Fred Guthier, up at St. Joe. I'll ask him as well but don't want to wait to the last minute to start planning this trip. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for you assistance.

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome back Terry,
    Here’s my list of Conservation boat ramps along the Osage River. You can check for maps and directions in the Central region of the atlas for the Missouri Dept. of Conservation web page … http://www.mdc.mo.gov/

Bagnell Dam Access - at the base
    Tuscumbia Access - 66.1 river miles above the mouth of the Osage River.
    Kings Bluff Access - 60.5 river miles above the mouth of the Osage River.
    Osage-Tavern Access - 50 river miles above the mouth of the Osage River.
    St. Thomas Ferry Access - 34 river miles above the mouth of the Osage River.
    Pikes Camp Access - 20.4 river miles above the mouth of the Osage River.
    Bonnots Mill Access - 2.2 river miles above the mouth of the Osage River.

Hope this helps

3. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the information. Its more than I had to go on before your post. Have you ever made this trip? If so, how long did it take? Thanks Again!

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Watch out for low water dams upstream of Hwy 50.

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Never had made such a trip, it sounds like a lot of fun. I've only put in at the Tuscumbia Access and fished up and down from there. Always try to have places available in my arsenal just in case. Nice area, hopefully others like Doug can help with their experiences.

6. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Dougc,

Are the low water dams passible? I have a 20 foot center consol Polar Craft boat with a 90 engine. It is a modified v flat bottom that probably draws 4 to 6 inches of water. Are you talking about these low water obstructions being between the Marie Osa access and the river or above that?

Thanks Doug

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Terry I haven't personally seen the dam(s), I've only fished up closer to LOZ and down by the mouth of the river. Get on Google Earth and type in Jefferson City, MO. Find the mouth of the Osage, and follow it down past Hwy 50. From the looks of it, I don't think you should try it! Pretty sizable obstruction!

8. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I put my boat in south of Jeff City a cupple of years ago and you can only get up the river a mile or so there is a dam up river that you can't get through about 7 ' streight up and down. There may be a ramp above it that you can take your boat out and re enter it at the Hwy 50 access also about a mile down the river at a bridge there was a log jam you couldn't get through. This may have all changed in the last cupple years. Hope someone on here knows more about this then I do . Just thought I would put my two cents worth in so you don't start down the river and run into something you didn't know about or plan fore.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I just happened to look, and looks like the dam has a lock on it.
    Will

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The lock isn't usable anymore. The only way to get through is if the water's high enough. Still would be more like running your boat down a whitewater river! Might be fun, but not in my boat.

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    This sounds like a great trip. Have fun and be sure to post pics!

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks to all who responded. I got some good information. I may put in at the US-50 Access and go up river and see whats up before I plan the trip. I put in at the river access at US-50 last year (I think its called the Marie Osa) and went down stream to the Missouri. Several boats made the trip. The log jam at the railroad bridge was busted up and you could get through. I did hit something with the lower unit on the trip. I assummed that it was a large rock. No damage to the stainless steel prop but knocked the hack out of the paint on the lower unit. Any other information would be appreciated. Thanks

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That's where I put in the first time I took my boat on the Osage. Water was so low, I was afraid of running too far and getting stuck! The last time I went, we put in about 10-12 miles below Bagnell(don't remember the access), and the water was raging out of LOZ. Launched the boat in the afternoon, fished the rest of the day and then found a little feeder creek that we could anchor up in for the night. Stayed up pretty late catching some nice channels, then tried to get a little shuteye. When we woke up in the morning, you could see the water mark on the bank about 6 feet above us! Had a heck of time getting back to the boat ramp, and while waiting for my buddy to back my trailer in, trashed my prop on the rocky bottom.

So-you might want to take into consideration how much water they're releasing from the dam-the river can rise and fall a substantial amount just in one day!

14. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I'm new here but know the Osage pretty well(not saying it still doesn't surprise me from time to time).
    Infact I live on the Osage just below the Mari-Osa access off Hwy 50. I have been runing the Osage for 30+ years from its confluence with the missouri to about 30 mile up river.
    If the water is like it was last year, there is no way you could make the trip. If the water is up it is a pretty safe trip except for the "Lock and Dam" which is what is just up from the hwy 50 bridge and it is the closest thing to white water we have around here.
    The Osage can be a very "skinny" in some places and the channel is not always were you think it will be and several wing dykes are often hidden just below the surface.
    The next access just above the Mari-Osa access and the Lock-and-Dam is called Pikes Camp.
    If you ever need to make that run from Mari-Osa down I'd be glad to show any one the channel.
    I'm just now starting to explore the Missouri River, I finally got a boat I feel comfortable using there. So I joined here to learn about cat fishing on the "big" river.
    I catch a lot of small cats, channel and flat heads from my dock on summer nights, but I want to hunt the bigger ones too.
    Seems like a great group of people here with a a lot of knowledge to share.
    Thanks

15. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    any catfisherman in missouri or kansas wants some help on findin some killer flathead and blue anyone just let me know can tell u fellow members whats up
    kccatman76

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great information welcome Richard!

17. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab New Member

State:
    Owensville, MO.
    Welcome to BOC Richard! I have fished the Osage several times from Bonnots Mill up to Mari Osa Delta and yes you are quite right if the rivers low it can be quite tricky to navigate. I have made it thru the lock and dam just above the Hwy 50 access when the river was up. But that was in my younger days and I wouldn't try it again.:embarassed:

There is a place on the Osage just above the access at Taos that I really liked to fish. It's been a few years since I've been there. We called it the gravel pit. It's about 2 miles upstream from the access and they dredge gravel from the river in this area. Last time I was there the water was running 45 feet deep in spots. My buddy landed a nice 42 pound Blue there.

18. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the Welcome!!!
    Curtis, that deep hole your talking about is at the gravel plant just above the Pikes Camp access. Been through there many times.

mspratt, got your p.m. but I can't reply back (not enough post yet), yes I do still have my NR jet boat and love it. (not sure how you knew I had it)

Thanks agian guys I'll be surfing through a lot of old post for info and probably be asking some dumb questions in the near future.

19. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    The river gods tell all,,,,,,If u know what sign's to look for.:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Richard. Thats quite a boat Mark.