Osage river below bagnell dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BajaCoop, Jul 11, 2009.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Anyone fish below the dam on a regular basis. Thinking of going up there next weekend and was wondering if anyone had caught anything since they started discharging less water?

2. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was up there weekend before last, and didnt have much luck right below the dam. come to think of it, the last 2 times ive been down there i havent had luck right below the dam. saw some people catching around the dam, but they were all 5 pounds and under. i have had better luck down by the bridge pile-ons that are a mile (maybe) downstream from the dam. where they have all that fresh rock on the shore.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    do you anchor or drift?

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    if you mean in front of the dam, we tried both. drifting seemed to be the easiest. it seemed that the anchor would hold for a bit, and then slip loose.
    if you mean at the spot further down the river we beached the front of the boat and achored the back. then we just fished off the back of the boat and even set a couple rigs up on shore. got a flat, some blues, and channels.
    however, we did achor in the little cove next to the dam, just out of the hard current. we put some lines in there, and we had one bite that just picked up the bait and took off like a shot. rod was doubled over, and the reel was peeling so fast it was smoking, then the line just snapped. also boated a 5 pound channel there.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Im surprised more BOC members dont fish down there. Youd think when they are dumpin alot of water, alot of those big Blues would come up out of the Miss. and feed up in there. Everyone fishes below Truman, but I bet there is some real pigs below Bagnell. :cool2:

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i fished bagnell when i was stationed at leonard wood in the late 80's early 90's. did good on the generator side with shad guts drifted through the generator current and if you're fishing from the bank cast over toward the island where the current sweeps along it you can get a lot of smaller cats doing that. the bigger cats would turn on at night and be at your feet feeding on all the discarded shad in the shallows. saw one once that was an estimated 40lbs in water so shallow it almost beached itself.