osage channel cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by lbz19, May 5, 2008.

1. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just got back from osage tonight. I cuaght a 17 lbs channel, and my buddy caught a 19 lbs channel. not to bad for the first time taking the boat out this year.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice fish....What bait did you catch them on?

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What part of the lake?

4. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We were using cut up shad in the north end of the lake. We caught them about 8:00 pm or 8:30 pm.

5. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Great lake for catfish. Bigheck and I went out last night and I landed two 13 pound cats. Just cant wait for the spawn.

6. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sounds like you guys did real well. I've seen some big channel come out of there. Just can't believe the size of some of those fish for being a little lake. Makes for some good fishing.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Osage has produced BIG cats for over 30yrs.
    And it is only getting better after they reduced the limit to two fish."But it still take's some selective harvest to keep them big boys growing and for us to enjoy years to come.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You are right Tom. The lake does have some nice fish in it but it could be overfished very easy with how small it is. I hope the big channels being caught are put back or that lake could be worthless in a couple of years. It has been gettin alot of publicity lately.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice cats. Got any pics?

10. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You are really blessed to have a channel lake like that, I really enjoyed fishing there. Hope it stays that way for a long time. If we all fish it right and put the monsters back im sure it will.:big_smile:

11. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The local bait shop took some pictures and weighed them, and my buddy also got some pictures. I will have him e-mail them to me, and I will try to figure out how to get the pictures on here. Osage has always been good to me when it comes to channels and large mouth bass. I pulled a 22lbs channel out last year and alot of 15 pounders, and queit a few 5 and 6 lbs large mouths. I also pulled a 20 lbs and 25 lbs flat heads out of there last year.

12. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Was you on the west side of the north end or the east? I ran a fish finder out there last year looking for holes and didnt find alot on the north end. I bet that 22lb channel had to been a fun fight. Good luck on your next trip bro.

13. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Nice job Patrick. Welcome to the BOC.

14. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We were fishing the north, east end when we caught the 17 & 19 pounders. We were just trying to catch some perch and had a couple of poles in the water for cats. I had gotten some pretty good bites there before. I don't know if there is a hole there or not, there is so much moss back there. I just think it was being at the right place at the right time. The 22 pounder was caught almost in the same area. I was tied up to the feeder in there in the norh end of the lake , fishing towards the shore. I was sitting in my 12 foot jon boat in a lawn chair half asleep,about 3:00 in the morning when I felt something hit my line. I waited for another hit and yanked on my pole. It about pulled me out of my lawn chair, it scared the crap out of me.

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I would watch what you say about being tied off to the feeder. I have seen people get nailed for being to close to them when fishing I think that you have to be 50 FT away from them when fishing. Not being a had A#$ but it is a nice little fine and you could even come up missing your tackle that way. And any one who was at the gathering there will tell you that the officers are not to far away at anytime.

16. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    last year when the fish and game officer asked for my fishing license, I asked him about being tied to the feeders, he said it was alright. The reason I asked was the city lake I fish at the animal control guy who patrolled the lake was givng everyone a hard time about it. that was before I had a boat. so when the state took the lake over I asked him about it. That is what he told .me I have seen a guy at Osage paddle a inflatable raft out to one of the feeders with a lawn chair and a radio and sit on top of the feeder fishing. Thanks for the heads up on that.

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle and John, you're absolutely right about a lake getting "fished out". Milford Lake, the largest in Kansas, which many folks thought could never have the big Blues fished out, well they have. It's still possible to catch a trophy, but you'll be extremely lucky. 4-5 years ago, I could catch 6 to 7 Catfish, Blues and Channels 15lbs or better, now you're lucky to catch a 10. If the bigguns keep being taken out of Osage, as little a lake as it is, a couple of years all you'll get are eaters, even with their restricted creel limit. It takes those big Cats quite awhile to get that big.

18. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    AAAAAMMMMEEEEENNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah Jim , Wyandotte County Lake is like that now also. There is still some big flatheads in there (mainly because not many people use big live baits) , but your very hard pressed to catch a channel over 10 lbs. In fact, I dont think Ive ever seen a 10+ lb channel come out of there. :angry:

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Patrick I just though I would give you the heads up. I was there last year and a guy was tied off on one and a Fish and Game guy came over to the bank and asked him to come over and talk to him. When the guy did he was nicely given a ticket and then the officer put his fisihing stuff in the back of his truck and then the guy got back in the boat and went to the ramp. I never saw him get his stuff back.. I do know that I have been told one thing from one person and another from someone else. I think Keith had a number to someone in charge out there, he might be able to give you the 100% anwser.