Oriental Grass

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Tala, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Tala

Tala Guest

I want a garden full of different oriental grasses. I don't know anything at all about these plants. I just love the unique look and all of the varieties. How do I purchase these? Will I have to plant several together, to make one plant look full? Any information on this will be helpful. Thanks!

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Holley,
    I don't know much about the subject but it reminded me of a story;
    A friend of mine that I use to work with went out to find a a few strange plants growing in his garden and when he asked his teenage son if he knew anything about them he told his dad that they were his Japannees tomato plants.
    speaking about oriental grass:roll_eyes: :big_smile:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The only oriental grass I know of could be purchased for about $10 an ounce back in 1968. LOL!

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Holly,
    I had never heard of oriental grass, so I googled it. I can only seem to find one variety of it, called oriental fountain grass. They have a few on ebay, but I would assume that a plant nursery in your area might carry some. I know there are all kinds of different ornamental grasses, maybe you might like some of them too :smile2:. Can't tell you much about how to plant or care for 'em, but if it were me I would just ask the advice of the staff wherever you decide to purchase some.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    George, you just couldnt leave that one alone could you. LOL

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    my spidey sense tells me its "ornamental" grasses youre lookin for and not "oriental". foxtail, fountain, smoke, zebra, pampas, on and on and on.

try a google search for ornamental grass and im sure a lot will come up.

larger specimens like the pampas do best off by themselves where they can grow large and take up space as an accent piece in the back of a landscape. some of the smaller fountain grasses and foxtails are okay in flower beds planted in single clumps like you would any small shrub. planted en masse i dont suggest as over time it will end up an unruly patch and the ornamental-ness (is that a word?) of the grass is lost.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    google "ornamental grass" and click then click the google "images" button,
    tons of them come up.

8. Tala

Tala Guest

Thanks for the information. It was very useful. Your right, it is called ornamental grasses. I believe "oriental" is just the common name. Either way, you can do a search on both names and it will still bring up the same beautiful plants. Maybe the Pampas will be the better choice for what I am wanting. I'd like to plant these as sort of a decrative privacy fence. Although, I do like all of the varieties. I will probably use these smaller ones throughout my yard. Thanks again for the suggestions!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Never heard of oriental grass? it must be a new lawn?

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    pampas will work for a privacy hedge okay however there are a few things to keep in mind. if youve got kids around be sure they stay away from it, the edges of the grass blades can be razor sharp and can give a nasty cut. chasing after a soccer ball can leave them looking like they lost a fight with an alley cat. it doesnt need much maintenance unless it gets nipped by freeze but does need frozen parts cut back. if true privacy is a concern a row of them may not be ideal as you will have to cut them back to about two feet if they get a nasty freeze burn. (if you have to cut a couple why not cut them all?) will grow back in summer. they need room... six feet apart minimum tho eight can work in time. envision each plant taking up an eight foot diameter circle when fully mature. oh yhea... cut them back with gas or electric hedge trimmers instead of setting them on fire. the char looks like crap for the rest of the winter.

11. Tala

Tala Guest

Thanks alot. I appreciate all this information.

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    or $145 a lb.:cool2: :tounge_out:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    TALA, what are ya looking for. i have two koi ponds in the yard and have many to thin. i have pampas grass (14' tall with seed heads) maiden grass (6'tall with red seed heads) and fountain grass (small fox tail seed heads) 3' tall. i have tons of shoots. viragated striped grass and yellow zebra grass,6-7'. i can ship ya many starters, no charge. pm me. if ya want to pay $6-7 for the 2-3 day shipping i can send many starters. within 2-3 seasons most reach full height. i will label them. shoot me a pm and in the next few weeks when growth shows i can get then ready. will save ya a ton of cash. otherwise they will be rounduped. i can ge ya enough shoots or plants to fill a big garden. the pampas gets 8' in diam and 14-17' tall.

14. Tala

Tala Guest

Thanks Jeremy! Your offer is very kind and I gladly accept! I can't wait to get my garden started.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    wont be long i see some green shoots on one already.

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, now we all have a connection for the finest oriental grass. you have any other exotic brands ??:lol:

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chad that is great information on grasses. One thing for sure, the larger varieties do best in a 6 to 8 foot circle out in the open. And usually the only maintenance required is mowing around the perimeter to keep it contained. Or, maybe cutting it back to the ground in early spring, so it can shoot new growth getting rid of any winter killed foliage. Some of the smaller varieties might work in a bed, but my guess would be they are too agrressive to keep contained without high maintenance. The grasses are very attractive and they are so many varieties that you can do a whole garden based on them for sure. Vern

18. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    not far from the house here a developer has built block beds of pampas. ranging in size from say 1000 up to about 3000 sq ft. with each specimen planted at about five feet. in the summer the plants in each bed grow together as one large mass and it does look somewhat attractive but each winter they cut them down with hedge trimmers into two foot by two foot cubes that look terrible and at present with them just waking up for spring they appear just plain ridiculous.

some of them are better at behaving than others. one of the small ones which i know as blood grass. (reddish tint to it, gets about two feet high by one ft. dia. ) is real good about staying put and doesnt spread. i planted them as accent pieces in smaller designs. some REALLY red annuals like begonias or red petunias look good in front of it as do yellow pansies in the winter.

19. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    I have to agree with the "old" man. Some of the grasses are way too aggressive for a flower bed. They almost drove me nuts trying to keep them under control. I finally dug them up. I wouldn't mind having some that grow in the yard and just mow around them. That's one thing that Vernon and I have learned over the years---Go for the easier to control plants. We use to spend FOREVER in the garden, weeding and mulching. I finally got tired and layed down plastic and pebble. NO more mulching and it cut down on weeding time and has made a very pretty accent to our flowers. The grasses are very pretty, just make sure to do your homework and avoid the aggressive ones. Lots of luck.

20. Tala

Tala Guest

I have yet to find a local Nursery that sells ornamental grasses. I even went to Lowes and Walmart, thinking they may have a small selection. There was none.