Organic Fertilizers

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by elphaba7, May 27, 2006.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    My husband is the one with the green thumb. He uses earth worm castings, blood meal, bone meal, seaweed, and guanos. I don't know what all combinations of stuff.

What organics does everyone else use?

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use worm castings, compost, and chicken, rabbit manure! Had some camel dung last year from a petting zoo, too!

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    carp and lake algae/weed

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have 2 large aquariums; 1-135 gallon & 1-65 gallon. They're hooked to 3 large canister filters. When I clean the filters, which have a sponge foam liner, I pour it all into buckets, wash out the sponges, etc., & pour that over my flowers & tomatoes & pepper plants. They usually "green up" within a day or two after that! Must be good stuff....sure does smell! Fish emulsion--home grown!!

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Garden is looking good, we need to spray with some Neem Oil for the pests that are starting to nibble.:confused2:

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Milk is one of the best things you can use on most plants, nutrients are readily absorbed, quick source of calcium (lime takes weeks or months to work) great to use on weak plants that have been stressed or sick.

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Sam, does the fat percentage matter? I can't see how it would, but does it?

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Wouldn't think so, I think its more all the minerals and protein in it ( the protein will convert to Nitrogen), and the fact that it will be quickly absorbed and used by the plants. Had a guy who sold trees tell me about it, he said anytime he had a tree doing bad he gave it a drink of milk and it saved more than anything else he tried.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sam, Thanks for that. I've not ever heard of that, but when you thing about it, it makes sense. I'll be giving that a try! Milk....it does a (plant)body good!!:0a24: