Ordering bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CJ21, Jan 15, 2010.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Have any of you catfisherman order bait from these folks, http://www.dgbait.net/freshwater-bait.html#ch I been using livers but not with much sucess. I am thinking about use more live bream and nightclawers for the bait shop. I have using Live Shinner Minnows with some sucess, but I stop using them because of the cost.

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Charles, I've never ordered from these folks and don't know much about pickled fish and such. You might try picking up a bag of frozen raw shrimp from the grocery store. They work good for me. If your on a budget you may want to try getting some really cheap hotdogs and a can of sardines. Chop up the dogs and use a blender to liquify the sardines (oil & all) mix it all together with some red kool-aid mix and let it set for a day or so.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Use bream or other bait fish you can catch where you fish. I didn't look at the site you posted, but if it is pickled bait I would not spend money on it. If you want to buy bait, check out Team Catfish and Magic Bait Co. They both have dip bait that works real good. JMHO

4. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I agree with this post. I would catch fish out of the water you are fishing to use for bait. The Dip baits mentioned are another great choice. I like Secret 7 or Sonny's.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i agree you cannot go wrong with secret7 or sonnys everything else is a waste of money

6. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Never had much luck with any preserved/pickled bait. Except for magic preserved crayfish, those have been pretty good. I do suggest either S-7 or sonny's for a purchased bait, but your best bet would be to catch some 'gills or bream from the water you fish.
    Just my two cents worth.

7. Cujeaux

Cujeaux New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My uncle was running his trot line the other day near Lake Verret and not having much success, when a commercial guy threw a fish in his boat and said "try this". After cutting the fish up and baiting with it he did quite well. However, he is 74 and has been fishing S. Louisiana his entire life and had never seen one. He's asking me to use the power of the internet to try to identify it and find him some for bait.

I believe I have identified the fish as a skipjack herring based on info I dug up on this site. The only place I was able to find that sells it is DGBait.com. They sell it in frozen 45# bulk, but the freight from OR would kill me. I just ordered him a jar of the pickled skipjack from DG Bait yesterday. I also asked them what their best seller was and they told me it was the pickled squid w/garlic. I think they are just trying to clear out old inventory that doesn't move :') but I ordered him a jar of that too just in case. I'll let you know if he has any luck on them. In the mean time, if someone can let me know where I can find (buy or catch) skipjack near Louisiana I would greatly appreciate it.

8. Cujeaux

Cujeaux New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Surely someone on here knows where I can get some skipjack...help a brutha out! Invite me on a catching mission! Make money by shipping me some!

9. Cujeaux

Cujeaux New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    CJ21 - My uncle called last night and notified me that my order from DG Bait Co. arrived yesterday. He'll be trying the pickled skipjack, pickled squid, and sturgeon candy (skipjack) within the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how he does as soon as he gives me a report.

10. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Best thing for me is to use a piece of worm, catch a fish then cut it up for bait. Smaller pieces in the spring and bigger ones in the fall when they are gorging for the winter.

11. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Nope! Never ordered any bait. I get such a kick out of going down to the hydro plant and catching skipjack when they are running that i would never ever order any. Hubby has that there net LOL that he gets shad with and we have a couple brim holes down from us.....Even have a natural worm bed (which I didnt make) in the back of my property that I borrow and feed for them nightcrawlers....I am a tightwad by natural and with saying that I get a rush out of not spending money and gettn more for the dollar

12. StacyR

StacyR New Member

State:
    Boise, ID
    Saw some of that stuff at Fred Meyer last time I was buying worms. It kind of surprised me, since out here in ID most anglers focus on trout and steelhead and aren't real into catfish. Apparently someone buys it, though. They only wanted $5 and some change for it, so I wouldn't pay the prices on that web site. Freddy's is a western chain, but it's owned by the same company that runs Kroger and I'm told their Kroger Marketplace stores are similar, so you might try there if you have them in your area.