Ordered HDS-7 today

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Wabash River Bear, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good news,,,I ordered my Lowrance HDS-7 sonar with Insite USA gps and a 2 gig sd mem card from Cabela's today.
    Bad news,,,its on back order, expected shipping date 1 to 2 weeks. CRAP!!! :sad2:
    Oh well, hopefully it will turn out like the old proverb, "good things come to those who wait". When I get it, rig it up, and get some time with it on the water, I'll write up a review for ya all.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Try and get some pics. of it in action. I am weighing my options to get the HDS8 this fall or next spring.

Chris

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I thought about jumping off the Humminbird ship hard, but stayed.

Give us some good reports on the unit.

If its 1/10th the unit as advertised, it will be an awesome system.

4. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Finally got to use mine for a week on lake Barkley. Going to take me a while to learn to tweak it. This thing blows away my old HB. Wish I had saved some screen shots for Ya.
    Steve

5. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
  6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    They limit the $50.00 rebate to the HDS-5 units only, and it appears that in order to get the $100.00 rebate you have to purchase an HDS-7, 8 , or 10, and another approved accessory. They list the Structure Scan Side-veiwing Sounder as one of the options, probably what I'll end up getting, hopefully it hits the market before the rebate ends so I can at least take advantage of it.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I bought the HDS7 with insight USA about a month ago and I love it. The screen resolution is cristal clear and the mapping system is the best detail I have ever seen. The screen size is ideal for using the split screen. The broadband sonar is top notch with very clear structure and fish. I think the SI will be able to be added to this unit but Im not sure. If so I may upgrade it later. That rebate sucks cause I bouth mine about 3 weeks before the rebate was offered oh well.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've been looking at the new HD models. played around with a display model at gander Mountain last weekend. Gotta say I'm liking it. If it turns out to be everything I've been hearing might have to take the leap. one thing that does come to mind is, if the structure enhancement turns out to be a good addition. It might be better viewed on the HD8 or HD10. Having that bigger screen sure would come in handy vs, the smaller screens. Thats where I'll be doing the most of my head scratching, if I want to spend the extra on the bigger screen. Decisions, Decisions!!!:eek:oooh::confused2:

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    It came down to the 5 or 7 for me and I chose the 7 for the same reason you're looking ahead to the 8 and 10. Another difference between those two groups is the number of card slots. 8's have 2 card slots I think vs. the 1 slot the 5 and 7 has... not sure about the 10 (I really didn't even look much at it :eek:oooh:)...

10. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I got the HDS5 and I love it. Hard to beat the clarity and set up options. I haven't got it yet but the Sirius weather option is cool. For the average fisherman keeping up with radar on the water has never been an option. I haven't heard about the SI yet. Hope they have it as an upgrade for mine. I couldn't afford the larger ones.

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I just bought my lms last year, I'm sure the wifew won't let me upgrade so soo, but congrats to all, i imagine it's an awsome unit. as far as the radar, $5 a month and I get it on my cell phone and it is severall minutes more current than noaa . gov.

12. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Did it come in yet Bear? Looking forward to your review.

Got home early enough last night to install the transducer, run the wire to the console, and install the bracket. Hopefully home early enough tonight to run the power and it'll be ready for fri/sat. I'm excited. I've only used the cheapy $50 rig that came with the boat.

Some of the tunnels to feed the wire through I couldn't get apart so I tied some braided nylon to the old wire, pulled it out, tied the nylon to the new wire and pulled it back through.

The back of my boat doesn't match the pictures in the install guide. They show a V and a flat bottom. My transom is flat across the bottom, but a few inches under the boat, it drops down in a shallow V shape. So, I wasn't sure if I should center it on the transom corner or the one a little ways under the boat. I ended up using the same holes the old bracket was mounted in and put the new 'ducer in close to the same place. I dropped in down maybe a quarter of an inch thinking it might help some to get down below that V part. Here's a pic of the original. I'll try to get some of the new one this evening if I get home in time.

[​IMG]

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/19JwpkH3ukhyIbHvEywHuA?feat=directlink

13. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Yup, it finally arrived on Monday afternoon. I spent most of the week reading the ops guide and installation guide. Wow, info overload! :smile2: I got a Ram swing arm mount to go with it. I am hoping, weather permitting, to get started mounting it and wiring it up this weekend.

14. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    you will love the ram mount i just mmounted my hds5 on 1 and you can face the screen anyway i want!! very good products