Ordered a 'test' reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Colsrob, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I had plans to order a couple of new Ambassaduer reels. I found what I wanted, and at a real good price. Howver, recently I learned about another reel, that looked real nice and was priced even better.

The company is Ming Yang. I know a lot of members do not like the idea of Chinese made products, and i'm not usually fond myself. But, I did some research and was intrigued by what I read. I know it looked pretty good, the price was very good, but the info that I found was not bad at all. Actually, the biggest contributer of information was quite pleased with his Mings.

Well, after contacting the North American Distributer( Stingray Tackle ) and correcting an issue that I had, I placed an order for 1 Ming CLL60( http://www.stingraytackle.com/baitcastingreelcl-60.aspx ). The second L in the item no. is for left hand.

I plan on giving it workout and seeing what results I come up with. If it passes the test, I plan on ordering a 2nd one. The CL seems to be the 'heavier duty' line of their reels, but it's not overly huge and bulky. At less than $40 delivered, I think it's worth taking a look at. A serious look. If I was willing to go with the right hand version, I found a guy on Ebay with the model I was looking at, for less than $30, shipped.

If others are interested/intrigued as I was, I will try to follow up on this thread with my findings and conclusions.

Oh, my issue that had to be correct was in Stingrays pricing. I thought it was just too high, for what was supposed to be a strong point for that reel brand. They did me right by lowering the price. They dropped it about $15 from what they had it listed for originally. I call that great customer service. My arguement was that I could get an Ambassaduer for about $20 more, and given the choice, I would select Garcia everytime, over the Mings. They did me right. Now I get to find out if it was all worth it.:big_smile:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Rob i have gave these reels a look in the past myself but was afrade to try one i would love it if you would wright a reveiw on the reel after you have time to give it a work out

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I went the rought of looking at some of the off brand names "pelagic:angry:" to see if any or them where any good and was totaly disapointed with the quality,,, "not this brand" so I hope you have better luck than me with it,,, now I just go with the popular brands, abu and shamano in the long run with quality and price I make out better...:big_smile:
    Good luck and Thanks for shairing
    I would definently be interested in you findings...
    Puddle

4. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It will be interesting if they stand the test of time. May cast and perform fine out-of-the-box, a couple hundred casts and some drag spinning cats should let you know what it's made of.

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Oh, I too am not disappointed with my Ambassaduers, and usually stick with what I know and trust. The only reason i'm even willing to attempt this is, because of price. Plus, they do look real nice and the reports have not been bad at all. If I could find something that passes all the requirements of the majority of members on this board, and can save them money in the process, it's a good thing in the long run. Time will tell though.:wink:

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yeah, that's one of the things that will make it difficult to sell others on. Then again, it shouldn't take long to reach a couple a hundred casts for the testing process.:big_smile:

I'm not sure yet when it will arrive, but I will post on here as soon as I get it.

Oh, one of the things that I did see when doing my online research, was the good response about the drags on these reels. Nothing special on the design, but a guy who did extensive testing and reports on his findings, thought they were quite impressive. Especially for a reel in this price range. The same guy for the most part uses high end reels for his fishing. I think pretty much salt water only fishing is what he does. He spoke very highly of the performance of his Ming reels.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Those are my plans Dallas. I am just hoping I can get enough good response to be able to help out others on the board. I currently have 2 C4 Ambassaduer's, so I know what a good reel is like. I have a good standard to judge these Mings with. If they perform remotely close to the Ambassaduers, they would easily be worth the money spent. Which in turn, would be good for everyone.

8. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Puddle Jumper which reel did you try? Do you remember the size and line specs on it?

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Rob, I didnt mean to sound like you making a mistake or anything just shairing how it worked out for me...I really didnt like the Okuma at first but they have turned out to be good reels...I hope the ming's are also...:big_smile:

Cuda ,
    Sure do, its sitting on the shelf in my workshop...
    This is the one I got,,,sounded really good on paper...:sad2:
    It was as smooth as a coffee grinder, and when you would cast it out it would lock up on you for no reason and send your rig flying after the line snaps,,,:confused2: It would crank a fish in but it was nothing but problems to fish with...and its nothing like my shamano's:eek:oooh: "see add"
    Now this is the only one I have ever tried, or will try, the rest of them might be the best on the market, but not mine...
    Puddle

PELAGIC EXTREME PLD15 LEVER DRAG ,

THIS IS A HIGH QUALITY LEVER DRAG REEL.
    IT IS DESIGNED IN JAPAN AND IS MADE
    WITH HIGH QUALITY COMPONENTS THAT EQUAL SHIMANO TLD's.
    NEW PELAGIC PLD15 EXTREME SERIES
    LEVER DRAG GAME Fishing Reel
    Ratio 3:8.1
    4 Sealed Stainless Steel Ball Bearings
    One piece lightweight Graphite frame
    One piece Aluminum Spool
    Single Axle Stainless Steel Anti-Reverse
    CNC machine cut Stainless Steel Gears
    Stainless Steel/Zinc die cast One piece Reel Seat
    Teflon + Stainless Steel Drag Washers
    Lever Drag Control and Preset Drag Feature
    On/Off Loud Ratchet
    Ergonomic Comfortable Combat Handle
    Overhead/Light Game-Trolling Reel
    Attractive Black/Gold Color

Attached Files:

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    John, I never took it the wrong way. I understand completely what you were saying. Hell, I agree with what your saying.:smile2: That's why I only spent very little, and refer to this reel as a "test reel". If I don't care for it, i'm not out much money. I can just throw it away, or give it to someone I know that has something worse, or nothing at all.

In the end, I can't really lose. If this fails, I will be "stuck" with my Ambassaduer's.:big_smile: Poor, poor me!

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have two of them and so far I haven't had any problems. Be sure and check how much lube is on the gears before you start. I had to add some oil. The biggest fish I have caught on 1 is a 6# carp that hit dip bait. I plan on using mine to teach my grandsons to cast a bait caster.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rob,I have been checking them out myself,After Jim made a post about them. Be sure and let us know how they work. I'm seriously considering getting a "test reel" from them myself.

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yeah, your post about your find was the reason I started to check these out. So if it all goes wrong, i'm going to point the blame finger at you!:big_smile:

The must not se too bad, if you think it's something your grandchildren can learn with.

The one I ordered is new. I know you picked up used ones, but I will check it out right away. The biggest question I have, and you should have some insight by now...are they smooth? Or at least smooth enough considering the cost? :wink:

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Will do Richard. I'm just playing the waiting game now.:big_smile:

I have had a couple of back and forth emails with Stingray, one of which said that it would ship today. Being in Fla, and me in Ohio, I figure it should be here in 3-4 days at most.

My conversations have been with, who I presume is a salesman, a gentleman named Ray. He has been extremely nice and very helpful, including responding to my rant about their prices by lowering their listed cost by $15.

Contrary to the what the site has listed right now, when I first checked into the Mings, the CL60 was listed at $45. It now says MSRP is $36.70, but that wasn't the case 2 days ago.:big_smile: Never the less, they did change their prices to something along the lines of what I expected them to cost. So far, I can't complain at all. Now I just hope that things stay that way after I get my reel.

15. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Oh, I forgot to mention, Stingray offered me free shipping if I bought 2 of them, instead of the 1 that I planned on. I probably should have taken them up on the deal, but not knowing what I was getting, I didn't want 2 bad reels.:smile2: If they turn out even halfway decent, I can kick myself then.

If anyone else is interested, even before any updates from my testing, you would probably want to eamil Stingray to see if they would do the free shipping on 2 for you as well. I know it wasn't a site wide deal that they offered me, so it may not be an option for others. I might actually be THAT special!:wink:

16. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    They are pretty smooth. Just take some adjusting and getting use to. I don't think the ones I got were used very much. I am hoping to go to the dam this weekend and if I do I am going to snag with one and see how good they are. Nothing like a 40-50 pound spoonbill to give a reel a work out. The reason I am using this to teach my grandsons is that if they can get this one down they will have no problem with my 7000s.:smile2:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  17. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I bought one last fall. The one I bought was a red one with a wooden handle and looks just like a 6500c3. I took it fishing one time. It is very sloppy and not smooth at all. If you use abu reels you will be disapointed. After a few cast with a 3oz sinker and med. size shad head I would have to work with it to get the release button to come back out, you could turn the crank and nothing would happen. I was going to take it apart and look inside but I haven't. If someone wants it I will give it to them. My review is they are JUNK.

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'll be interested in reading your reviews, from what I"ve seen they seem to be a good, reliable reel, but may have some problems with consistency in the quality. Hope it turns out good for ya.

19. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    The two I have are gold and have a bait clicker. The bait clicker is smooth on both and loud enough I can hear it from 10-20 ft away. We have got a lot of rain here so I may not get to go snag tomorrow. To many gates open. (18 yesterday)

20. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Well, in my defense, it sounds like you didn't get the CL version reel. Not that it can't have issues as well. It's the reason that I only ordered 1 for now, and will get a 2nd if I like what I find. I would imagine, on occasion, some people have issues with new Ambassaduers. Not saying that the Mings are anything close, but problems do occure sometimes...with everything.

Thanks for the insight though. It's something I can target specifically.