Orange cl rocket

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Aug 7, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    are them orange cl rockets any good heard they sucked are they anything like a prorocket

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have an abu 6600 Rocket and I love it. It is the burnt orange color.

3. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I have both. The orange CL is a good reel, whereas the Pro Rocket is a great reel. I use my CL for catfishing a lot of the time. It has a higher retreival rate the the Pro Rocket. The Pro Rocket will wayyy out throw it.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is the orange roket beter than the c3

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The orange CL uses a bushing instead of a bearing, so I think most would say that the C3 is a little better. Personally, I've got several of each, and I don't notice much difference between the bearing and bushing models

6. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    My C3 is smooth as silk. I can't say that about my orange CL.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's nothing to change the bushings to bearings. If you can get a good deal on the CL Rocket, then get it. They seem to be good reels. I haven't noticed any difference in fighting fish with the higher retrieve rate, you just have to fight the fish with the rod, and reel in the slack with the reel. If you replace the bushings with bearings, then you'll have a c3. The bushings and the spool release mechanism are the only big differences in the two reels.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    u sure know ur reels xringer how many abues do u own

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    LOL! I've got a few. I work on them and build some from scratch too. I just built a 5600 with the orange 6600 endplates. I've basically got a 5600 CL Rocket with a clicker and made it a C4. I've got it mounted on an 8 1/2 foot steelhead rod for sand bass and hybrids. It'll sling a 3/8 oz. Kastmaster about 40 to 50 yards. I picked it up as a new hobby, and am getting over run with them, might have to start selling them now and then, LOL.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have one of them red 6500s xringer , and the drag will pull out at ten pounds tightend all the way down is this normal on that model

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Usually you can get a little more drag on them than that. If it's worn, then maybe not. You didn't say how much the reel has been used. If you store them with the drag tight, then the drag washers will not last as long. When you finish fishing, loosen up your drag so they will last longer. They can be replaced pretty easily but when you do, I'd get the carbontec or smoothie washers. They're not very expensive, about 8 to 10 bucks depending on where you get them.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont understand how u can fish with the drad loose when u go to set the hook wouldent it slip , i use straght gammas, with a tight drag cliker on then engage the reel and then set the hook, i nturn the cliker off first

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You tighten the drag back down at the beginning of each fishing trip. Just loosen the drag when you're going to store the reel for very long.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have a Abu 5600CL Rocket but I use it for bass fishing.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ohh i thought u fished like some of theses other guys , they lossen their drad and then turn on the cliker instead of puting it in freespool , i cant see how that would work , i would think the fish would fell the tention ang drop it

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, what I meant was just to loosen the tension on the drag between fishing trips to extend the life of the drag washers and to tighten them up while fishing. If I fished a loose drag the way I set the hook, then I'd probably backlash setting the hook!LOL.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how long do u usaly let flatheads run with ur line xringer , i have missed alot of fish by engaging to soon

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havn't really been into the flatheads much. I'm mostly a blue cat man myself. My wife likes the flathead meat the best, so I'm gonna have to target them some before hunting season. I think they're easier to get by boat and with the water up and running so much, I've taken the summer to tear the interior out and remodel it. It's almost finished and the water's almost down. Hope to get it on the water soon and give them flatties a try.

Of the ones I've caught though, I usually use "J" hooks and let the rod load up good, then set the hook. I've not had as good of luck on flatties with the kahles. But, then again, like I said, I'm not the flathead expert. I like blues and sandies. You might ask one of the guys that have more flathead experience than me. I myself would like to go out with someone who knows flatheads better than me to learn a few things myself.

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I just bought one at my last trip to berkley. I found out through some digging that they are nothing like a pro rocket, obviously the price tag is smaller so something is different. It looks like a regular c3 with a higher gear ratio and a thumb bar to me. It has spool bearings just like a c3, I took them out and oiled them. I also read somewhere that they (the orange "rockets") are just made for walmart. It is a good time to buy one. The last of the cheaper "made in sweden" reels are being sold from what I have heard. I think this one was a sweden one, but I'm not 100% on that. It works fine but the thumb bar takes a bit of getting used to.