Orange bouys

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by nathan king, May 22, 2007.

1. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    Sorry to sound like a dummy, BUTT i was reading some of your posts and here in Texas we dont have big rivers and i came across some posts talking about those oarnge bouys and something about loosing your anchor and some words about DANGER and loosing your anchor,,,,, BOY!! if and when i ever come out there to fish that awsome river i sure dont want to get killed so can someone please elaborate on this for me, boy do i have alot of questions because i'd like to come out pretty soon but would like to leave with a good experience not in a casket if they find me lol. anyway any advice would be apreciated, i'm an experinced boater and have fished the arkansas and potomac rivers but never the mighty miss nor have i ever heard of these bouys. thanks all.:crazy::0a17:

2. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I'm not an expert but I've fished and duck hunted the ole Muddy from Iowa to Louisiana for the last 15 years and never seen an orange buoy. Maybe it's a red one faded out?

Otherwise, stay in the channel when the river is up, avoid the barges at least 1/4 mile in front/ sides and 1/2 to 1 mile behind (nasty boat-eating 6-10 foot wakes!), and beware of rock dikes. They can stretch several hundred yards into the river and make for a real bad trip quick. But, the dikes can also hold the best fishing. If the river is on the rise alot of trash and debris starts floating so beware of that too. This river is the love of my life but it'll get ya too. Safety, safety, safety!

3. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I should elaborate a little. Stay in channel when traveling with any speed to avoid the rock dikes and sandbars. Most of the fishing will be around islands, near shores away from main channel, and the rock dikes. If you can, get a map of the river section your going to fish and find the rock dikes. You should really concentrate your fishing around those!

4. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Nathan, The "anchor bouys" are an important tool on any river for more than one reason. We attach the bouys to the end of the anchor rope and at any time can un-tie from the boat and throw bouy. This allows the boat to be moved in a "matter of seconds" to get out of the way of big trees coming down river, barges (ask three rivers about barges almost running him over) or if you get that big ol cat on and he's headed down river with all your line. You don't have time to pull anchor, just throw bouy and go get him. When you finally get that 100lber landed or get out of the way of danger just motor back over to your bouy and tie back up to your anchor and go back to fishing.

<< CAUTION VERY IMPORTANT >> If the bouy is not tied right on the end of your anchor rope then come in at an angle (off to the side) of your bouy when motoring back up or you will get your prop tangled in the end of your rope that's floating on top of the water down stream of the bouy. Then you have got real problems. The boat will flip around and then your anchored backwards in the current with the chance of water coming over the back of your boat and pulling you under. No way to cut the line really because it's tangled on the bottom of the motor. Hope this helps.

5. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    thanks alot that helps i guess i need to think about etting one when i come up and then i hope i can get all my poles reeled in fast enough. now is this an everyday accorance or something that might never happen,,, dodging trees that is? i'll be up around tunica are you familare with that area?

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    ArkansasCat is definitely right about not wanting to run over your anchor rope. Just after moving back to Arkansas in 1983, a friend and I were bank fishing below the powerhouse at Dardanelle, on the Arkansas River. Two old guys (probably my current age) were trying to pull an anchor. The guy running the boat was trying a little too hard to help the guy pulling in the anchor, and ran over the rope. That killed the motor. The boat switched ends. Water started pouring over one corner of the transom. The boat filled & rolled over. All in less than 10 seconds. Fortunately, both guys were wearing their PFDs, and with everyone on shore yelling, we were able to get the attention of another boat, which picked up both men, unhurt.

If you aren't letting out all your anchor rope, and you're going to use this quick-release system, you need to make sure that you neatly coil all your excess anchor line and tie it into a secure bundle so you won't have a bunch of loose line in the water if you have to throw it overboard.

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'll second (or third) the notion about not running over the anchor rope. That happened to me on the Arkansas River at Wilbur Mills. The boat spun around and the stern dropped. I had about one inch of clearance between the water and the top of the boat. That's the most scared I have ever been on the river. It took over an hour for me to quit shaking. That experience taught me to always wear a life jacket when there is any potential of going in the water. Always when the motor is running and any time I'm working the anchor in or out.

I've had a 5 gallon plastic gas can in my boat as a buoy but I've never used it. I wouldn't say that collision courses with trees are an every day occurrence but with the water high and/or rising, there is a good chance that you'll see a lot of debris in the water. Unfortunately, I've also never had to throw the anchor to chase down a monster fish either. :sad2:

8. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    well if things go right i should be there on the 14, 15th of june if anyone is close and knows the river then maybe we can hook up and load up some hogs, have boat will travel lol ive got a 19 ft lund pretty good boat but not quite big enough once i get all my gear in.

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Joe, I thought for sure we were going to have to toss the anchor when you were here last time :big_smile: He nearly had you spooled didn't you?:eek:oooh:

10. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Well Shane, I will admit, it was a purty big goo!

Next time maybe you'll show me some of your catfishin spots..? :0a28:

11. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Joe, I bet you will never forget that day huh? I can still see the look on Tim's face way up in the front of the boat. I never saw someone put on a life jacket so fast in all my life.

12. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Nope, never forget that day. It could have gotten very serious very fast! I guess the Good Lord was lookin out for us!

You still fishin ol man? Or has it gotten too hot for you? :0a14: I heard that the redfish are tearing it up down there...:big_smile:

13. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My last trip was last weekend Joe. The weather was in the 50's so I could not pass that up. Me and Tabitha went and ended up with 51 cats, one 30 pound Redfish and two Black drum in the 30 pound range. We let the Red and the Drum go to fight another day. I told the Redfish to keep a eye on you being you are coming to Louisiana :tounge_out:. No Reds will be safe :wink:. Talk to you later.

14. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    Thank you all for the info that ya'll have provided, it is greatly appreciated. I hope to see some of ya'll on the water some day maybe even pretty soon like next month if the weather is good. Who knoes maybe i can find a hog in that big ol river lol.:cool2:

15. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    well upon further research of the bouys i was trying to buy one online are they refeard to as anchor retrieval bouys? if so the i found them but i wanted to make sure before i purchased on, or if someone has a link to one please post asap please. thanks.

16. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Hey Nathan,I got my anchor retrieval system from www.ironwoodpacific.com

I chose the 16" bouy and it works great for pulling up the anchor. if your just wanting the bouy they probly sell them seperate.

I know you mentioned being over in the Tunica area sometime soon. Let me know when you come over and we may hook up and wet a line. I live about 100 miles from the river but drive over often and fish mostly the Tunica area of the river.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Brad, have you ever used the launching ramp across from Tunica on the Arkansas side?

18. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Yes Jerry, I've launched there many times.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Great! Kareokecatfish noticed it when he was on a boat on the Mississippi, and we found it on a map, but none of us know anything about it. What's the launching ramp like? Is there any kind of flat spot there where I could park a small motor home? I don't require any kind of hookups---just somewhere to get the thing more or less level. Any problems with vandalism? Anything you can tell me about it will be greatly appreciated. :0a31:

20. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    i appreciate it i'll look it up. as far as fishing i'm ready just pm me.