OR - Cinci 10/22/09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Had an open seat today so I got to take Pendog ( Nate) out with me, got to the river about 10 this morning, fished until about 5:30. Got bait easily today in place where they were non existant 2 days ago so that was a relief. Water was slightly murky and between 59.5 -61 degrees. Nate wanted to see how we drift and had his heart set on catching a blue so we drifted about 5 miles today, a few spots over and over and about 4-5 hrs were spent with only 1 litle tug on Nates rod, tried some 20-30-40 and up to almost 50 ft water. Since that wasnt working, I knew where we could get into some hannels and maybe a flattie or two so we changed plans and pretty quick, we ended up with 4 channels ( 4,4,5 and 6+ lbs) and a 1 lb flattie between us, oh yeah, I also got about an 8 lb drum, again....(3 trips in a row now :smile2:) all fish came on fresh shad and nothing came on frozen skippies or fresh cut suckers.

Might note that we launched at Schmidt, said they had 30 boats yesterday but only a handful today so as long as folks are coming, they will continue to take everyones money even though they only have the crappy dock in right now. Jason did say that the next time the river gets up about 31 ft or so, they will pull the other ramp and close off the park for the winter, so if anyone notices that has been done, please let us know, thanks

Last point/vent! Bought a new prop about 8 weeks ago and the first time out, hit a small piece of wood and barely bent the tip of one of the flanges so about 2 weeks ago, got this great idea I would use channel locks and bend it back, anyways I hadnt even started to put any pressure on it and it snapped about a 1/2 " by 2 " piece off like it was a cracker, I couldnt believe it as I had bent my past several props back and forth a dozen times with no issues. anyway, still worked out ok, but I felt sick to my somach about that.
    Move ahead to today, I was motoring up at about 15 MPH in about 15-20 Ft of water and all of a sudden I hear a little thump like when you hit a small stick so I throttle down and look back and see a bushy limb on the surface which wasnt there before so thought, ok, no problem and motor off, I did notice coming back upstream the prop didnt seem quite as smooth as it should but went on, get back to the ramp, and while putting on the transom saver realized that about a 3" by 3" chunk is now completely gone off another flange, Holy S%$t !!!! I can t believe this is happening to a brand new F*&%#ng prop!!! The piece of wood I hit was not 1/2 inch in diameter???? so I drove home thinking WTF???? It was a Quicksilver and I wonder if they possibly had a bad batch of steel/alluminum??? This prop is like its made out of balsa wood or something....anyone ever have any simillar issues out there, any recourse available?? ( I doubt it since I did actualy hit something)

I know, its only money but the last $110 didnt come easy and I really hate to throw another batch of money down the drain, plus next time I wont buy cheap and Ill be forced to buy a much nicer one so this doesnt happen again so that will run me about $150-200

Sorry for the rant....

Until Saturday when me and Fishdealer04 get out again:wink:
    Salmonid ( and Pendog66)

2. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Man oh man, sorry about the luck. I know virtually nothing about boats or props. At least you caught some fish. My girlfriend lives pretty close to schmidt fields....if that is what you are talking about. I can let you know when they close down for the year.

Catfish Rob

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Mark, I feel your pain. I have gone through 3 props this season. The one I have on currently is in not great shape, but I kkeep holding off on spending more cash on another. I did some research and have decided that I will probably be going with the Piranha Props.

Didn't exactly want a plastic prop, but I really like how these are designed. All aluminum hub w/ composite blades. The blades are probably more durable than aluminum, and you can purchase them individule. A lot cheaper to replace one blade, as compared to a whole new prop. For my motor the blades are about $23 each. It's more expensive to start with, but should save me money in the long run. Especially if I fish much more on the Muskingum. That place seems to eat my props.

4. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man what ever u do dont run it like that. i ran mine like that and took out the bearings because of the vibration in my lower unit. it is much cheeper to replace the prop in the long run. I use to always run alluminum but after talking to my mechanic I will never run any thing other than stainless again. Yes if you hit something big and solid you are screwed, but atleast when you hit small stuff at least you dont bend it and get all the vibration. I was told the vibration does more damage than any thing. Just be careful around solid stumps and rocks.

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Mark congrats to you and Nate for at least catching some fish. Ive been skumked the last few times out and a couple of dinks would suit me just fine. LOL! About the prop that sucks dude! Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

6. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
  7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear about the prop Mark. But atleast you and Nate caught some fish so congrats on that!:big_smile: rollo

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I never have seen a prop break like that before.I know you have to be careful but now I buy all my props off of fleabay.When I bought my boat I never could get the r.p.m. right.It came with a 17 but the rpm's were to low so I got a 15 from the dealer and my speed dropped but the rpm stayed almost the same.I ended up buying and selling four more props on fleabay still nothing.Finally figured out my new tach was wrong.I then bought a new viper 17 pitch online for 200.00 about 160.00 cheaper than anywhere else.I have seen several ss props sell for less than 100.00.Just another option to look into.Good luck

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark if i were you i would put out the more money and get a stainless prop. they are much more durable and take a lot more beating. ive beat our stainless props off of anything and everything. they really can saw logs. yeah they are more expensive but you have to replace them less often. so in the long run they are worth the money

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, I am leaning on a stainless next time around and for the time being, Ill be putting a slightly used one my boat mechanic buddy gave me a few weeks back, its not in perfect shape but waaaaay better then my present one, Ill get a picture tomorrow if I remember.
    Thanks again for the discussion guys!

BTW, I know several guys will be out early Sunday around Cinci, ( me included to see how this used prop does) anyone interested in trying to meet before launching at Schmidt Ramp around 8:00 am?? If so reply....

Salmonid

11. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    possibly meet up with ya. I'm playing sunday by ear as I don't have a plan as of yet. will be out tomarrow , out of tanners with golden

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was always told, if the stainless prop won't give, something else has to (lower unit bye bye?) :confused2:

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    While that is true, it is also the reason for sear pins. They are supposed to give before the lower unit does.

Plus, while the SS is much stronger, and should last through more abuse, when it does get a good crunch, it's a lot more costly to replace. It's a numbers game, and you hope it works out in the end. If I mainly fished deeper water, a SS would be an easy decision. Seeing that I like to visit Muskingum every now and then, SS is a scary proposition. It can only take so much abuse before it's done. $300-$400 is a lot more than $125.

That's why i'm looking hard at those Pirahana's. $23 is much, much better than the other's.

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

anybody got a open seat???:big_smile:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark are you sure it was Nate, (penndog) you went fishing with and not Paul, (misterwhisker) lol.

16. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    sent you a pm