Optimax vs. E-Tec

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by TeamCatHazzard, Feb 19, 2006.

1. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What do you all think is a better motor? I think they are both really nicely made and powerful motors. I have an Optimax but am thinking of trading the boat off next fall for a new one and actually tought about the E-Tec. Really good power, low emissions, and you dont have to mess with oil changes for a year or two or something like that. Which Im not sure if that is a good thing or not. Supposedly more power, holeshot, etc. Just curious to see what you all thought and see if anyone has experience with the E-tec.

2. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Anybody have either one or have any opinions either way?

3. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    what I have read about the e-tec it sounds like a really good motor. There was a few guy on the tournament trail that ran them last year and those guys really liked them. I fished with a guy that has one and the thing I liked about it, was how quit they run. but again you cant go wrong with a merc.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I went to an E-tec seminar last year and was very impressed with the results of comparison tests.

These tests were supposedly done by an independant group.

The E-tec out performed all 4 strokes in emission tests and because of it's lighter weight than a 4 stroke, was able to out perform them in the power catagory too.

Nothing Merc has can compare to it in any of the tersts performed.

All this info can be found on the web.

5. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bobpaul, yea most of the results that I found were comparing the E-Tec to the Verado which is comparing a 2stroke to a 4stroke but I dont know I am kind of leaning towards trying one but am in love with my optimax. I wonder if merc will try and counter the e-tec with something anytime soon

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The people I have talked with that has them. TAlk about how high the E-Tec oil is. And if you run the standard 2 stroke oil its uses just as much oil as a old motor will. Aloso the motor has to be adjusted to switch between the 2 oils. So if you do get one. Make sure to keep the E-tec oil handy in case you run low and theres not any near you.
    Pete

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's an infomercial for the ETec running on the Outdoor Channel right now. And if you believe them, the ETec is the best thing since sliced bread.

Only thing is, I don't believe them.

They showed an "unbiased side by side" test of the 225 HP ETec vs. a 225 HP Yamaha 4-stroke on a dual-engine ocean boat of some sort. Both engines mounted at the same time, switching between one or the other in the water and the other raised up out of the water.

The results were predictably in Evinrude's favor: The Yammy could only get the boat up to about 14 mph on the GPS while the ETec topped out at a whopping 37 mph.

Same horsepower, same boat, but one engine goes more than 2.5 times faster than the other one? Right. And I've got some great ocean front swamp land to sell you...

You don't suppose maybe they intentionally put the wrong prop on the Yamaha, do you? If not, Yamaha better get out of the business now...

8. TeamCatHazzard

State:
    Illinois
    Good point T I have not seen that infomercial yet but I will have to keep an eye out for it. Yea that makes sense obviously then are going to be biased towards their product and make it look as best they can but like you said there is no way they will go twice the speed.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I own an Optimax and my Navy boat crew here at Camp Lejeune is switching over to E-Tecs simply because all the controls are Evinrude.The optimaxs can be digital with all digital gauges and more importantly they will be available wit electronic shift and controls which vastly improves the overall performance and response.You just have to try the electronic controls to appreciate what a differance that makes.I dont think the E-Tecs have that capability.The E-Tec is a strong reponse by Bombardier to overcome all the bad press generated by the Ficht engines of previous years.So far we have had very good luck with them but only time will tell.:)

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I talked to my boat store owner/mechanic, he is also a johnson dealer, and he said they have not really gotten all of the bugs out yet. He claimed he had enough motor updates to fill a large trash can. I don't know if this is true or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask someone, anyway he didn't want me to buy one.

11. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    some guys around here were having trouble with the powerheads on the e-tech. they had to have them replaced.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have a uncle that works as a mech. at dealership that sells them. he told me last week that they had sold 4 of them and he had to rebuild two of them. ithink i would give them a little more time before i bought one and let them work the bugs out first.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would rather just buy a proven engine such as a yamaha or a merc, than to buy a brand new engine that hasnt been proven yet. Maybe in five years if they are still running strong with no problems I would consider an etec.

14. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i fwould definitely go for the e-tec

15. Tee

Tee New Member

State:
    TN
    Well there aren't making Johnsons anymore, and Evinrudes are going overseas. All that will be marketed in the US will be the E-Tec brand.

16. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I got an '06 Optimax with a Smartcraft tach hooked up. It's like having 6 or 7 gauges in one. Plus should the motor ever set off the buzzer alarm, there's no guessing what it means. It displays it right on the screen. Been real happy with it so far.

17. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I have a 90hp 2003 TLDI Direct Injection 2-Stroke. It is a sweet motor dude. The thing is the most reliable engine I have ever seen. I trailer my boat all over the country dude. You have the lighter weight attributes of a 2-stroke, the power of a 2-stroke, but the clean emissions and fuel efficency of a 4-stroke. Nissan / Tohatsu are the same. Check them out and do your homework. Most people are like sheep, and they all buy what everyone else has. I am so glad I bought my engine, best investment I have ever made.

18. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Got A 2004 75 Hp E-tec On My Jon Boat. It Has Been A Very Good Motor For Me. I Got The Seven Year Warranty To Be Safe. I Would Buy Another E-tec In A Second. The Oil Is $30.00 Per Gallon. That Will Run You 50 Hours. Which Is A Normal Boating Season For Most People. I Use My Rig For Hunting As Well As Fishing In The Winter Months So I Use About $60.00 Of Oil Per Year. You Can Run The Cheap Oil Or The Synthetic With Out Being Programed. I Went Ahead And Had My Motor Programed To Run The Synthetic Because I Using My Boat In Freezing Weather. I Have Had No Trouble With My Oil Not Flowing In Cold Weather.

19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe the e teck is a 2 stroke and therefore that commerical means nothing as they are comparing it to 4 strokes. it will not out performe the new opti max. this company has had many problem motors in the past and is now trying to buy a reputation.

Danny

20. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I purchased an e-tec this May 2007. I have been running it like I stole it and am impressed everytime I take it out. Grizzly 2072 with added floor and the motor is a 50 hp with a tiller arm. Super performance, quiet and 10 mpg.
    Honest. No problems even with E-10 Gas. 32 mph with 4 people. Nice boat and motor combination. I've had it on the Chesapeake Bay (MD), St. Johns River (Fla), James and Rappahannock (VA), and Behind Ocracoke Island (NC). I've crabbed and fished. The only problem is at idle with this hull I troll at 3.4 mph. A little to fast for Stripped Bass and crabs in the Chesapeake. I have Aluminum Plates that I Clamp to the Transom to slow it down. I've had boats for 40 years and this is the nicest combination I've owned.