optimax vs 4 strokes

Discussion in 'Boating' started by WaterHog, Apr 19, 2008.

1. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm powering up my 2070 roughneck and would like to hear from any of you with experience with these motors in the 90 to 115 hp range. I've heard pros and cons for both. I don't trust the dealers I've been dealing with. They seem to be pushing the opti's.

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota

There probably pushing the optimax cause they are trouble free and they have fewer issues with them.
    I have a 200hp optimax inboard jet and am pleased with it. It's quiet (for a v6 2 stroke) and very efficient on fuel.

3. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave, I had forgotten about my son being allergic to exhaust/oil smoke. He gets choked up anytime were near pontoons on our lake that run opti's. I don't think they will work for me. The reason I was looking at them is because they're considerably less expensive. I don't think I can justify a 90 4 stroke right now. I could go with a 60 hp though. Since you have a 2070, how do you think mine would run with that 60? I fish light, rarely taking anyone other than my son. All lake fishing. Will that motor push my boat 30?

4. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have a 17 ft lund mr pike with a 90 four stroke i am a big guy my side kick bigger over 600 lbs together 30 gallon bait tank my boat will run 42 mph i love mine have had it for 4 years quiet easy on fuel hope this helps robert

5. Reel Tight

Reel Tight New Member

State:
    Va
    Personally I would say get an evinrude or johnson. Two stroke is better hands down in my opinion. Lighter is better. Less parts. No oil changes. I never smell exhaust/oil as im running the river. If you do a bunch of trolling with it you may have problems but its rare I even smell mine and never do once im moving forward. My guess that 60 would do right at 27-33 mph give or take a few mph for gear/people. It probably wont go 35. It takes alot of power to get to 35-40 in most cases. I have an 88 on my boat and top speed with me and gear only is 42. The picture is with a 30 on my boat. With the 30 it would do 22-28 depending on gear/people. I put on a 50 and it did 27-31. Then went to the 88 which does 38-42. My boat is 16'.

[​IMG]

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have not as of yet smelled any 2 stroke oil from the exaust on my motor. They are very efficient on oil also. After all they are california approved.

7. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave, I wonder if there's anything about your 200 opti inboard jet that's fundamentally different that would make it cleaner running than an outboard? The pontoon rentals that are common around here are running with opti's, but they're 3-4 years old as far as I can tell. Maybe the newer opti's runner cleaner. I need to do some more research.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The optimax will not smoke if its right. And when I priced both on my new lund.
    There was only $300 different between them both
    The optimax is more like the 90 E-Tec I have on the Lund. You will think its a 4-stroke. No smoke at all or fumes for that matter.
    Pete

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota

Na, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it is the same power head as an out board.
    It just has a inboard jet lower unit.

10. WaterHog

WaterHog New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the advice all. I'm head down to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can either take a test ride in an opti, or at least watch one run in a tank. Maybe I'll feel more comfortable with my decision if I get a chance to get up close and personal before I buy. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Danny

11. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 2006 115 opti and love it. I agree with everything that has been said about it in this post. You can just about throw everything that you know about conventional 2 strokes out the window when you start talking about direct injected 2 stroke engines.(opti etec & v-max)They don't smoke they start very easy even in freezing temps and are easy on fuel. They also don't foul plugs like older engines. I have mine on a 2072 Seaark and with 30 gallons of fuel and all livewells full (77 gallons) and me it will run 38 mph. When running light me and half tank of fuel it will run about 42 mph. Give it a good test drive I think you will like it!

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I am going with Ryan on this one!!:smile2: I have a 2072 cat-edition tracker with a 2007 115 optimax. I have the same goodies that Ryan does. I just up-graded props to a stainless power-pro 17* pitch. I think me and johnny was pushing a little over 42mph:eek:oooh: Fully loaded ( Johnny packs a lot of stuff too!) Great performance, fuel milage and starts easily. It is a great motor for the money plus Merc is giving a 5year full guarntee on anything right now!!:tounge_out:

13. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have two props one for light loads or for cold water (18 pitch merc vergence) and a small prop for heave loads or summer water (16 pitch vengence) when running light I can still overrev the 18, but when I borrowed a 19 pitch trophy plus I lost 1000 rpm but top speed and hole shot stayed the same. My question is what are your rpms and how is your shot?

14. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Ditto- love my 4-stroke 90 merc and never one problem over 2 years now and alot of use.

Do run a quality fuel filter regardless what ya get.

15. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    these are two different boats, but i just ordered a Lowe fm175 with an opti max for the simple reason the dealers I have spoke to have told me the four stroke is really doggy with my boat.