OptiMax outboard

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catman from owensboro, Apr 9, 2008.

1. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    does any one have a OptiMax on there boat if so how good are they.thanks

2. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i have a '99 225 opti. i like it so far, had to replace the oil pump on it when i bought it, other then that it's been good. if your's is an older one, make sure you let the engine warm up....either idleing or if you are going to hop up on plain, try not to get much past 3500 for a few minutes. just don't go straight to WOT....it's like a girl, don't go straight for the home run, you might just get a solid kick in the yoowhoo. that's what the 'problem' was with the older optis.

3. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 2006 115 opti and love it. It starts always! Middle of the winter or what ever it always starts and idles with no prblems what so ever. It will idle smooth for as long as you want to burn $3.00+ gallon gas. Mine does seam to do better on Mercury premium plus oil. If I use some thing else it will hicup once in awhile between 2000 an 3500 rpm. It never smokes and is very easy on fuel. If I bought a new boat today I would get another opti (maybe a little bigger!)

Attached Files:

4. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    thanks that helps.it will be 2008 model. thanks again

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have the same year and model and I'd second everything he said. Very happy with mine.

6. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Adam I got a 07' Triton w/150 Opti and just love it. I prefer to run Opti-Max oil in it though. Little more expensive, but well worth it. I'm not saying that plain Mercury motor oil is bad just that Opti oil was designed especially for Opti motors. :wink:

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    or if you don't want to run to a merc dealer for your oil....quicksilvers DFI oil is the same stuff....

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I have a 3 star 115 2007 model....Excellent power & performance as well as gas milage. It pushes my 2072 river cat 40 plus miles per hr..... I do use the factory merc oil ppremium plus semi-synthetic oil:big_smile:

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have operated a 200 Opti since 2000 and have not had to do one single thing to it as far as repairs.Of course I do all my scheduled maintenance on time everytime and treat it like a baby.I do replace the water pump and impeller every two years regardless and ONLY run the Mercury Opitmax oil through it.Starts everytime ,first time and is amazingly economical when run at the optimum midrange rpm.You wont go wrong with an Optimax.:big_smile:

10. catman from owensboro

State:
    ky
    thanks it helps alot when look for a new boat and motor.