Optimax or Honda

Discussion in 'Boating' started by last chance, Jan 11, 2008.

1. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Looking at 2 new boats, either 17'DV Fisher with Optimax 90hp or Triton DV with 90hp Honda. Any ideas or opinions would be welcome. Thank for your help.

2. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    well i wish i could tell you for sure, i hope the honda wins because my boat is in the shop right now getting a honda 90 four stroke installed. i think they are both good motors, should be ok no matter what you decide

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    if the honda is a 4 stroke that would be my choice. i have a 4 stroke suzuki and love it ill never own a 2 stroke again. thats my 2 cents:smile2:

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i have a 115 yamaha four stroke and i love it

5. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    i just put a 90 4 stroke yamaha on my 18 ft carolina skiff. i will never go back to a 2 stroke again.

6. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Not sure about the Fisher boat, but I'd go with the Optimax. The Honda would be quieter than the Opti, but the performance of the Opti is much better than the Honda. It really depends on what you are looking for in an outboard. A few years ago 4-strokes were the answer to all of the EPA guidelines, that has since changed with the Optimax and E-TEC.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I currently own a mecury motor, and it will be my last. The honda motors are good, but very heavy for their size. My next motor will be a Suzuki 4 stroker, they are the best 4 strokes on the market period.

If I was you I'd take a long hard look at a boat with a Suzuki

8. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Brad ,I agree the susuki is a great motor, but the reason for the 2 choices was that both are very much alike in style and both are new 2006 closeout models at a price that gonna be hard to pass up like the Fisher with 90 optimax , trailer and everything complete for about 13.5K trol motor.depth finder, spare and ss prop are also included.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Got the Honda 90 on my NorthRiver 18' "SeaHawk"...... almost too quiet.... sounds like a "race horse" pissing.... with the water out of the pee tube...

Here is a pic of the "winter boat" configuration

Pushes my "heavy duty" boat real nice.....

Bayrunner Ray

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have a 150 HP Honda four stroke on my Sundance skiff. I fish five days a week and my Honda has 900 plus hours on it. No major problem to date. Knock on wood.

11. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Triton is definitely a better boat. I would like to get a Triton deep v but I will get a 4 stroke Yamaha on it. I would get a 4 stroke but Hondas are too heavy. Get what you want now even if it costs more so you will be satisfied with it in the future.

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I can't give an opinion on the Honda as I've never owned one. But I currently have a 200hp Optimax & I love it.

J

13. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    I'm on my second Honda 4 stroke. I bought both of them used and they have both been very reliable. The first was a 50 HP on an 18' pontoon and the second was a 90 HP on a 17' v-hull. Both engines always run quitely and get much better gas mileage than the 2 stroke engines I've had on other boats. Bottom line, there are lots of good engines on the market, but my next boat will also have a 4 stroke on it!

14. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I've been on boats with almost everything on them 2 and 4 strokes. I bought my SeaArk River Cat last year and I put a 115 Evinrude E-TEC on it and love it. It is almost as quiet as a 4-stroke and I get incredible fuel economy with it. I am totally sold on them and since I got it in Jan of last year I got a free 4 year extended warranty for a grand total of a 7 year warranty...how can you beat that. Also, I have only used about 2 gal of oil since Apr 07...I filled up the 1.8 gal oil tank twice and I still have 1/2 a tank left on the 2nd fill-up. It pushes my 20 ft about 45 mph gps.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

Ditto.

Honda or Opti?

Neither.

16. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well fellas its a long story but here goes. I've had this 20' seaark bay fisher that happens to have 115 hp susuki on it but I had super liner bed liner material sprayed inside and out last april and to keep this story from being too long I'll just tell you that after two different co. worked on it, the material on the outside delamenated big time and so I had to decide weather to sue, commit murder or just take it back down to the bare aluminum myself and prime and paint it. Needless to say there is a lot of time involved taking all of that material off so I work on it on and off. It's almost ready to paint. I was so disgusted with it that I thought that buying a new boat would slove my problem but I came to my senses and decided what I really needed to do was just bear down and finish this project and try and forget all the things that have happend with it. I know all this is confusing and I apologize for that but if there are any questions I'll be glad to answer them. Thanks for all the comments and advice ya'll gave and it played a big part in my senseable descision.

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Must be why boats are always smooth on the outside. :roll_eyes:

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i like the 4 stroke:wink: