Optimax or e-tec

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by FishMan, Mar 15, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For everyone that seems so impresed with the new e-tec commerical keep this in mind. In the commerical they are comparing the e-tec 2 stroke with others 4 strokes. Below is e-tec 2 stroke compared to optimax 2 stroke.

I did not read all the post in here so I hope this is not posted. I have seen several post about the e-tec since the commerical started running and that spot is so misleading it makes me mad.

you are about to get a "RUDE" awakening. Here are the real stats from a 3rd party test, done by bass and walleye.

Mercury Opti 225 Pro XS 6.2mpg E-tec 225 Ho 5.0mpg

Mercury Opti 90 7.7mpg E-tec 90 6.7mpg

Mercury Opti 200 5.8mpg E-tec 200 HO 4.4mpg

Carbon Monoxide Emmissions Mercury Opti 78.8 E-tec 84.9

Top Speed Mercury Opti 225 Pro XS 90.0mph E-tec 225 HO 84.2mph

Mercury Opti 90 42.6mph E-tec 90 41.5

Hole Shot 0-30mph (Seconds) Mercury Opti 200 7.6 sec E-tec 200 HO 8.2 sec

Midrange 40-60mph (Seconds) Mercury Opti 200 6.8sec E-tec 200 HO 7.6sec

Weight Mercury Opti 225 Pro XS 520 lbs E-tec 225 HO 564 lbs

PRICE Mercury Opti 225 Pro XS $16,664 E-tec 225 HO $20,421

Enough Said, Optimax is the best value on the water. Remember these testing numbers were done by a third party totally non bias with no skin in the game. Numbers don't lie. Evinrude should have done some studies before sending out the misleading statements they did. Talk about egg on their face. Also remember they didn't even try to compare their 4 stroke to another 4stroke!!!! They took their 2stroke against a 4 stroke. C'mon

Danny

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    My 2 cents is that you can't go wrong with a Merc.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont have an optimax but I do have a 2005 Mercury 4 stroke. Mercury makes one heck of an engine, and in my opinion they are top of the line.

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Speak the truth FishMan. I believe it. I love mine.:thumbsup:

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Like I always said mrec is the top motor out there. I have my 50 for 20 years and it starts every time and has for 20 years. I run a 2006 90/65 jet on my new boat and it will walk up the river with the rest of them.

6. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I am ordering a RiverPro boat but I have not selected the SportJet motor yet. This is the Merc inboard jet that uses the same power head as their outboards. I think it boils down to three options:
    175 two stroke
    200 Opti
    240 EFI

I am leaning toward the 200 Opti for best fuel economy and good speed. I've heard the Opti's are a bit on the loud side. Anyone have experience comparing regular Merc two strokes Vs. the Opti?

Thanks,
    Tom

7. chris369145

chris369145 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    Optimax has never let me down

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    if it aint black take it back!

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Tom,
    My buddy has a new 2005 2 stroke 50 Merc and I'd say my 2006 Opti 115 is definately no louder at WOT than his 50 is. In fact at idle, I think the Opti is quieter. But that growl that a Merc carbed 2 stroke has still sounds good to me. The Opti's have a completely different sound.

10. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Dave,

Thanks for the info. I had a 175 Merc SportJet so I know that level of noise. I guess the Opti will be about the same or louder.

Tom

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The new optimax they say is almost as quit as the new 4 strokes. I am not sure but I think it is the optimax that they race that is loud.

Danny