Optics question: What would you do?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by jlingle, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got a Remington 700 7mm mag rifle, with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x50 on it right now. I've killed a truckload of pigs, coyotes, and deer with this rifle. I recently bought a Burris FFII 4.5-14X42 with the ballistic plex reticle for a new AR-15 that I'd got & I absolutely love that scope. If it were you, would you leave the Burris on the new AR, or swap it with the Leupold and put it on my go-to deer killing weapon?

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I'd keep it like you've got it now. The Leupold has better eye relief and more forgiving eye placement than the Fullfield does. It'd probably suit you better on the 7 Mag.

I'm going to guess that your AR is a .223/5.56. Chances are you're going to shoot it much more often and at different targets/distances than you would with the 7mm. The upper range on the Burris will help with small targets (varminting) and precision range work, along with the adjustable objective to eliminate parallax at all distances.

3. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm with Chris on this, also if it is not broke don't fix it, if you are hitting everything your shooting at don't mess with it. Just my opinion. I had rather have more magnification on the AR for the critters.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well I believe I'll leave well enough alone. The gun and scope combination have been more than sufficient for a long time, and I don't really see any reason to switch things up now. I believe I'll get the AR settled in and make a critter killing machine out of it. I still can't believe I've waited until i was 35 years old to buy an AR. That gun is so much fun....:wink:

5. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    What kind of AR did you get?

Man, I really like the Rock River Arms various models, but I can't talk myself into putting out the cash for one. I used to shoot quite a bit, but with ammo costs being what they are, and just the fact that I have so little time with the rest of life going on, I really can't justify having one right now.

I'd like to have one in 6.8SPC or 7.62x39 to use on bigger stuff, maybe one of the .308's too. Ok, fine, I want about 4 of them, in different cartridges! :cool2:

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    My best friend's brother got sent to Afghanistan with the national guard. Those guys have some sort of deal where they can purchase guns through the government at the gov't cost. Sweet. As a group, I think we ordered 14 rifles. They all came with his national guard group's insignia printed on the lower too, which I thought was really cool. We got dpms rifles, but you don't really have a choice which ones you receive, you're just up to the mercy of whatever supplier is providing the gov't the guns at that particular time. There's no way to beat the price though. Everybody paid just a little extra, so his brother could have a free one when he got home. Everybody ordered .223 rifles except one guy, he got a .308. I kinda wish I'd bought a .308 too, but sure like the cheap 223 ammo. I've got a 7 year old son who absolutely loves to shoot the gun too. It's a lot of fun. Soon no coyote, cat, pig, or prairie dog will be safe. We've been salivating at the thought of catching a herd of pigs in the wide open when we had our new AR's. :smile2:

7. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Heck yeah! That's a sweet deal. It was cool for eveyone to pitch in a little extra for the free gun too. :cool2::cool2:

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Update: I bloodied the new AR rifle for the first time yesterday. A friend called and they were picking cotton yesterday & he said there were pigs everywhere in the cotton field, just running around in front of the pickers. We got there at about 4pm and rode on top of the cabs of the pickers. While I was there, we killed 7 pigs and I believe they got 6 more after I left. I don't recommend doing that to just anyone, it wasn't the safest thing in the world...... but man was it fun!!!:smile2:

9. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    [ I don't recommend doing that to just anyone, it wasn't the safest thing in the world...... but man was it fun!!!:smile2:[/QUOTE]
    Not only was it fun it worked. When I was a kid we hunted at night. We rode on the front fenders of those old pick ups and shot guned the rabbits that jumped up. We had rabbbits back then because we kept the hawks ans owls thined down. Any one remember the old trucks that had a head lights mounted on top of the fender? We sat between the light and the hood. One leg was around the light and one foot was hooked in the bumper. Was it safe? Our dads were watchings out for us. Now Big brother says that is a no-no. You know that we are so dumb that Big Brother must take care of us. Sorry to vent!

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If some of the "save the children" types of folks knew what I'd done as a child & the risks I'd taken, they'd faint. I'm still alive though. I grew up in the country, and we did a lot of silly stuff out of boredom and we could get pretty creative with our mischief at times. There's lots of stories in there that're probably best shared some other time.:confused2:

11. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I agree. A RRA rifle in 6.8 would be awesome! I can't afford one!

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Not only was it fun it worked. When I was a kid we hunted at night. We rode on the front fenders of those old pick ups and shot guned the rabbits that jumped up. We had rabbbits back then because we kept the hawks ans owls thined down. Any one remember the old trucks that had a head lights mounted on top of the fender? We sat between the light and the hood. One leg was around the light and one foot was hooked in the bumper. Was it safe? Our dads were watchings out for us. Now Big brother says that is a no-no. You know that we are so dumb that Big Brother must take care of us. Sorry to vent![/QUOTE]i bet you wish you had that truck right now $$$