Opossum Lake and Sheppard Myers Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by SanteeCooperKat, Mar 11, 2007.

1. SanteeCooperKat

SanteeCooperKat New Member

State:
    PA/SC
    When I get back from Charleston in April, I am probably going to fish here, as I have wanted to fish here for the last five years.

I need some advice on catching bullheads and trout in the same trip, as I have never fished at this lake for any species. Also, I would like to know some things about Sheppard Myers Dam, and if there are even some small catfish and trout there.

Again, I'm planning to go there in mid-April, so hopefully there will be a good amount of trout still there by that time.

2. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    well to start worms would be your best bet to catch both, or i would put one pole out with your fav trout bait such as power bait, corn, minnows, or even cast it with a second pole with your fav bullhead bait. fish near the bottom and you should do fine. with the live bait ur gonna catch more then trout and and bullheads though

3. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    The best bait for bullheads at Opossum Lake is a half of a raw medium shrimp. When you break the raw shrimp in half, the cost is actually cheaper than buying nightcrawlers. The only downside to using shrimp at Opossum is that you WILL catch some snapping turtles. I've also caught bass and big gills on shrimp.

For trout - stick with Berkley Power Bait in the dough. Chartreuse, Yellow and Sherbet are my best colors.

I would toss one rod out with the shrimp and the other with power bait. There are a TON of bullheads in Opossum and they are a lot of fun.

4. SanteeCooperKat

State:
    PA/SC
    Thanks for the info. Any information as where on the lake there are good numbers of trout and bullheads; and are there any Brown Trout in the lake? Also, information on Rock Bass and crappie in the lake would greatly be appriciated.

5. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    I've only fished for bullheads in the summer time and with the lake being drawn down so far now, 15 feet, my best area was at the secondary boat ramp in 4 feet of water. They are probably much deeper now and I would try down by the dam.

For crappies, the bank on the opposite side of the lake from the boat ramps has a lot of laydowns and usually holds crappie year round. That is a long walk to fish that side from the bank. Never caught any rock bass there, just bass, gills, crappie, pumpkinseeds, perch, musky and cats.

Your best bet in the next month or two will probably be to park at the upper boat ramp (main boat ramp) and walk the path down to the left, down to the point. That is one of the deeper areas of the lake and should hold trout and cats now.

As for trout, they are only stocking rainbows in the lake and that is what I have caught in the past. I plan to go out on March 23rd when they are stocking the lake so I can help and get a look at these "bigger trout" they are stocking this year.

6. SanteeCooperKat

State:
    PA/SC
    Does anyone know how long I can expect to catch a trout in Opossum Creek Lake? I want to go back in mid-may, but I do not know if there will be any of them there by then. I would also appriciate advice on Doubling Gap Lake, Laurel Lake, Fuller Lake, and Lake Marburg trout fishing.

7. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    There probably won't be many trout left in May but you might find a couple. They just stocked it this past Friday for the last time this year. Sat and Sun I got my limit on a combination of small ultra light Strike King crankbaits and a 2 inch white twister tail. The crappies were biting good on Saturday but I couldn't find them on Sunday. Lots of catfish were caught over the weekend too.