Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Drawout, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have two of the eagle 320's and while they work and do OK they are a little short on the power end. I believe they have 1500 watts and in deeper water you want 3000 or more. If your fishing farm ponds and smaller lakes with depths about 50 feet I guess it's OK. Might want to check out the fishing equip. for sale on the BOC there are a couple fish finders for sale there. I don't know how good or what power but in the same price range, used they should be a better unit. You will do OK with the eagle but depth is an issue. Hope this helps.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I luv my 320. The key is learnin how to use your electrnics. This requires that ya go out on the water with no rods and nothin but the manual for the finder. This way ya won't be tempted to fish and ya will use the time on the water wisely.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thanks for the replies guys,The lakes i fish are 50 ft max so i guess power isnt a issue.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    katfshn50 is right but I've never been able to do that. If the boat goes fishing stuff goes along. I've learned enough to be dangerous with one but I think I need a better one to confuse me more and then I would really have an excuse on not knowing how to use it. lol

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I know it will be hard to see all the fish and not be able to fish for em lol,but i know its worth it.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Bumping to the top.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Drawout I have owned Eagle,Lowrance,Garmin and Humminbird. They all have their good and bad points but without a doubt the Humminbird is the easiest to learn to use. I currently have 2 Humminbirds and highly recommend them.
    Also they are the only depthfinders mostly still made in the USA.

Cheez

9. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
  10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I qualified on sonar on submarines.I think that you are being told right.I started out with the old flasher.It will tell you anything any other kind will all things being equal.It just does not draw you a picture of a cone shaped piece of the water and bottom that changes size from the size of your transducer to how big a area it is seeing on the bottom.What you see on screen is not exactly like what is down there.You have to be able to relate and interpretate it.I believe that most do not learn to do this as they look at and interpret it like a TV screen.I am fortunate in having access to a clear water Barrow Pit with several large limestone rocks and clear water to 35 feet.In the middle of a summer day you have plenty of time to relate your screen to what you can actually see down there.I always checked out all 3 new dept finders as I bought them.I have learned to even locate pan fish beds and the fish if on them.I have also learned that they are not worth taking along in certain shallow waters with peat bog type bottoms.I like the newer 640 x 320 pixel display,dual beam and 4000 watts of power in my Humminbird Matrix 27.Unless you are going to take the many hours and a few days to really learn to interpret what it is seeing,you will just have a glorified depth finder that will show you a few logs if you have it set right.I have seen two that people had been using quite a while,yet were being run in the display mode when the owner was fishing.They complained about their unit being no good.I tried nicely to explain to the first.He got highly offended and insisted that I was accusing him of being stupid.I never said a word to the second.When ever the fish ain;t biting is a good time to learn some more about your unit.It is just like your rod and reel.It is no better than you are.I really believe that most people waste their money by buying one.They are not going to take the time to learn it.Everyone should really think each and every time that they are considering one.Each model is different and has new things to learn.I don;t care how good you are or how long you have been using one.A different model with be different with new things to learn.It is a computer with different programs.You can do it,but will you?I got to go.My Crawfish pie my wife was baking is done.I got to eat it while it is hot.I wish you the best of luck,I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thanks for the post peewee,I cant guarantee you ythat i will learn everything about it but i Can guarantee you that i am gonna try,I have the Eagle 480 fishmark and i run it on manual mode and adjust settings depending on type/depth of water.Im getting better but i still have a ways to go.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Your unit has a great reputation.I still have a old Eagle Z 6000 that was a great unit until I was talked into loaning it.Never worked again after it came back.No one ever learns it all,but you can get real good if you never quit trying.Best of luck,I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee