Opinions on the Remington 870?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Addicted2Cats, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I'm trying real hard to get my dad to buy me a Remming 870 Express in 12GA. Where I live in Ohio its mostly heavy brush so I don't know if I even need to get the slug bbl. I want to get it soon so I have the summer to test the accuracy on slugs. MY question is if anybody here uses the 870 for deer, how they like it, and what slugs shoot best? :0a36: Thanks.

2. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I use in for deer and regular shotgunning. There is no stronger design out there. (In either mechanical design or 'strong' as in having a large following, which means parts and upgrades are unlimited) Some will say that the Mossberg 500 is its equal...but if anyone tries to tell you the 500 is better than the 870...or vice versa, they're morons. Both will take a half-dozen lifetimes to wear out. I've not found any slug that shoot as well as I'd like from my hastings rifled barrel, so just take your pick. "as well as I like" means better than a 4" inch group at 75yards, a lot of guys can get a little better. My advice is to buy slugs now while they're out of season (if you can find them) because alot of places will have them up to 50% off after the season passes...and once they're out you'll have to pay full price and have virtually no selection. That's the way it is in my area, and I live in a no-rifle state...so everyone uses shotties or Muzzleloaders. I'd bit the bullet and spend the extra money on the best recoil pad you can find since you're gonna be shooting slugs. No, you won't feel it when you're hunting, but you sure will when you're practicing and sighting in...and thats the perfect place to develop a horrible flinch.

Make sure that magazine cap is screwed down TIGHT when you're shooting slugs, or you won't get groups at all. It'll feel tight, but you can always get a few more clicks out of it.

If you're gonna shoot slugs out of the smooth barrel I suggest brennek's and the mod. choke, that gave the best results in my 12ga. But try the IC choke also. Don't even try sabot slugs, waste of money in a smooth barrel...yeah, they'll shoot alright...sometimes...but they cost more and give NO advantage out of the smooth barrel.

If I were to buy a rifled barrel I wouldn't spend the extra money on a scope again. Rifle sights are all you need at shotgun ranges and fast handling is usually at a premium in the brush areas.

3. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ive got an 870 as I dont shoot it much I hunt small game with a .410 the 12 guage 870 is the perfect work horse they can do it all its the one gun everyone should own it all you really need from bear to deer to squirrels

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have a 20ga. 870 that's about 50 years old. It's had one firing pin replaced and has been reblued once and the stock refinished and it's still as good as new. My father bought it used from a man for $30.00 when I was about 10-12 years old. I'm 56 now. I killed my first deer with it.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I dont think you could go wrong with an 870. They are top of the line in my opinion. I used to sell a lot of them. They kick like a missouri mule with slugs, but they are still accurate. Will you be able to clover leaf your shots, no; but you will be able to put 3 in a pie plate and that will fill a freezer.

6. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have an 870 Express combo. I have killed a lot of deer with it. I used to love it, now I hate it. Can't seem to any thing with it. It does kick like a mule. I am going to buy a 20 gauge with a rifled barrel. I am not real sure what brand yet.

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    870 is the best shotgun you can buy. I have one in 20 and 12 guage and they both shoot well. Me, my dad, and my brother have 12 guage Browning GOld Hunters and every single one of them jams up and won't eject the shell (birdshot or buckshot). I got them clean as a whistle and they still won't eject worth a sh*&! But the 870 as long as you clean it it will work fine. Love mine.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Get the 870. I have a couple of 870's and wont trade them for anything had them for years no problems with them ever.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am a benelli man myself, but I would have to say a good ole 870 is hard to beat! They are reliable and go through just about anything. I have one and that was my first gun actually. Its a great gun to start on and they will always be there and last forever! I would recommend them!

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please check with the manufacture about shooting slugs in any modern smooth bore before buying.Most have been back or over bored for many years now and do not shoot slugs well.The bore is too big.A older used gun with the old standard bore may fit your needs better.Some of the older guns seem to be more versatile,with just a single barrel to do it all.A new gun may need that special barrel for accuracy.This is the reason that I bought a Browning 500G as the Golds came out.It had a steel receiver,the old standard barrel diameter,and I bought a rifled choke for slugs.I have turned down some deals on Remington shotguns.I think that they are great firearms,but they feel awkward and do not seem to point naturally for me.It is me,not the gun.Too many people love the feel of them.It may be that I was raised with single barrel and bolt action shotguns,or could it be the void between my ears? NCCater-My Browning 500G has performed flawlessly so far.Believe me,I have tried to fool it by putting any and all types of shells in it in any order.All of my life,the guns had to be changed or adjusted to shoot different loads.Many of us old timers did not believe it would work in a auto.That 500G proved me wrong.I have read of the Gold being used on South American Dove hunts,where hundreds of rounds a day,and thousands of rounds a trip are fired.Something ain;t right,be it shells or gun.I am sure that Browning would love to hear of it,and try to solve the problem.They sure ain;t any good the way it is.The cheapest of autos work better than that,and a working single barrel is better than a jammed auto.Good luck to all,and let us know how you come out.peewee-williams

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would recommend the the 870 super express it can take 3 1/2's be sure to get the combo it has the slug barrel which is all right but since i got my rifled barrelle i am spoiled the 870 is one of the baddest guns around it is so verisatil (SPELL CHECK) hardy i beat my reg 870 to death i cracked the fore stock i mean just beat it up all i did was replace the wood stock with a syc stock and the gun still shoots true

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    one of the best guns ever built. john browning knew what he was doing.

13. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    great gun, they have about a million different barrells, stocks, and choke tubes available for them

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I would get the combo with smooth barrel and rifled barrel. I didnt and Im still looking for a cheap rifled barrel. Ive had my 870 for years and its never let me down. I dont use it for deer hunting but Ive used it for squirrels, doves, clays, and will use it for turkeys this year. Last dove hunt I went on a couple guys guns got jammed or overheated or whatever. My 870 shot more shells, killed more birds, and kept on shooting. Hard to beat an 870.

15. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    870 Remingtons are one of the best, I have two 870 Wingmasters that I
    have had for 30 years, the guality is first class. My 870 express is rifled
    and I have a 3 power wide view scope. I use remington sabots, groups of
    2 inches or lesser at 100 yds are impressive for a slug gun. The sabots are
    devastating on hogs and deer.

16. el_pescador

el_pescador New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have to agree with these fellas. OMG, i can't believe i was one of the suckers that bought one of the 500's. My beads flew off at the range:crying: I no longer own an 870, but they are the best pump shotgun ever made imo, maybe the most reliable out of all the shotguns.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sounds like a word that a 8-12 year old would use to me.I am 60.I have heard them use it all my life.It is sometimes used by "extremely intelligent" people to describe any one stupid enough to disagree with them.I think that it is a very useful word as you instantly know what and where they stand,and what they think of disagreeable people."Bit strong" yea,but you cannot but admire anyone that lets you know right off the bat,that if you disagree with them,you are a moran.You have to admire honesty.The man ain;t lying to you to keep from hurting your feelings.peewee-williams

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The 870 is a classic shotgun that has been around forever, great 12 gauge!

19. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I've got an 870 express that I use for turkey hunting, bird hunting and other game. I have had nothing go wrong with the gun even in sub zero temps.

chris

20. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I've had a wingmaster for 45 years...got it used. I've replaced a firing pin in it during all these years. I never killed but one deer with it. I was shooting 000 buckshot thru a 30" full choke barrell. The next year Dad got me a used 30-30 Win. I killed deer much farther and with less shots lol. Guess I'll hang on to it too. I never liked slugs or had a slug barrell