Opinions on red line and red hooks wanted.

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Bream baiter, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    People say red is one of the first colors to disappear in the water so using red line is good. If that's true, then why does red on lures attract fish? Does anybody think using Cajun red line is better than clear line?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The Cajun Red line is semi-transparent and the hooks are not. Light will not pass threw the hooks. Also, those red hooks are designed to catch fishermen, not fish, LOL!!!

3. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    beats me?:tounge_out: LOL

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If the fish can see the red on your hook you need a bigger piece of bait. lol. I don't think a hungry cat cares what color line and hook you are using.

5. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I start out with a red hook whenever I put a new one on. I usually get some ultra sharp circle type hooks that are red and cost probably 5 times what they are worth. By the end of a good fishing day, the red is for the most part worn off by fish. I haven't noticed any difference in bite effectiveness between a new one and and old one. I think the earlier message is right in that if you see much of the hook, you need more bait. Big bait...big fish....?:eek:oooh: The color (or lack of it) does tell me that I need to check the sharpness and the remainder of the rigging since that eventually wears out.

6. gowens

gowens New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    All I know is that Cajun is some tough line. Makes a good leader.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    but I thought catfish have bad vision???

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its not so much the vision is bad, but that the sense of smell is so good. Also, catfish will inhabit waters that are pretty low in visibility.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you can catch cats on juglines / trotlines with the staging 1/8" to 3/16" in diameter, I think you pretty much have dispelled the myth that the color of the line makes a difference. The bait may well make a difference but I believe the color or diameter of the line is of little importance - unless you hook Moby Dick, then you probably don't have the right stuff to land him anyhow.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I often wonder the same thing. I mean just look at all the bass lures that have red on them. Basicly for the same purpose. To act like a wounded bait fish. All I know is I dislike the cajun line. It's just don't seem to go on a reel like other brands do.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't know about that...I've caught quite a few blues on bare hooks on an unbaited trotline in water so muddy, i couldn't see the bottom in 3" of water. They were lip hooked, and it has happened often enough to rule out accidental hooking. The fish were striking the hooks.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    As stated in my earlier post, solid un-transparent objects such as hooks and other things like lures, reflect light making them visible. Line such as Cajun Red and other monofilement lines are transparent and light passes through them.

13. kansas bluecatter

kansas bluecatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use red hooks but don't believe they help with the bite. I tried Cajun and did not like it at all. For the most part the manufacturers of red line and red hooks are just trying to find an angle to get you to buy their products. Where I usually fish (Missouri River) color of hook and line is unimportant because the water is so muddy the fish are not able to see anything. I do know of some very good anglers that believe red hooks or bait dyed red helps. If it helps your confidence than I would say the color red does help. John

14. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    This is an open subject, often studied by "experts." You have to consider this animal has one of the highest developed sensory receptor systems on earth. This fish feeds in the darkest of nights at depths light doesn't penetrate on a sunny day, water so muddy you can't see the tip of your fingers with your hand submerged to the wrist and some "experts" think COLOR is a factor[??]. In extrememly clear water color may make a difference, but in the average catfish habitat ?? Last fall one of my vendors gave me a couple of spools of "yellow" line. We rigged several lines, some red, yellow, green and clear. We caught about the same number of fish on each color over a three week period, Hmmmmmmmmmmm. The main thing is if you like the way the line works use it. I wonder how we ever caught fish before all this high tech equipment came along? :smile2:

15. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was a Cajun fool, however I have found it has to much stretch for good hook sets, however if you do get a good hook set he's coming to the boat!

16. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I've been thinking about this alot lately, particularly in regards to b@$$ fishing. First, I think AwShucks makes an excellent observation regarding cats and thick and bright colored line on trotlines and jugs.

Color is the wavelength of light reflected off an object. All other colors are absorbed by the object. Black objects appear black because they absorb all colors of light. Since water attenuates red light more than other, shorter wavelength colors, I think a red object will look black below the attenuation depth. Since black stands out against any background (except a very dark one) it would probably be very visible underwater.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    When my cousin first started fishing tournaments with me he spooled his reels with cajun red and it was terrible. Some people swear by it but he swore at it.
    As for the red hooks I've tried them and the only time I can tell a difference is on the sabiki rigs and jig heads fishing for skip's. Then the bleeding bait hooks seem to make a difference and will produce more strikes. On catfish hooks I can't tell it helps or hurts.Red hooks I've tried are the 7/0 circles and #5 - 2/0 trebbles.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think red hooks or red line help you catch fish.

19. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have no input on usin red line, ie cajun red...never tried it.

I do pour a lot of jigs and on many of them i use red gama's. I can not say that they are more productive, but i will say i have caught a LOT of fish on the jigs i've made with the red gamas. I think the red hooks on a small to medium jig provide contrast...jmo.

cyas
    robert

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Maybe I'm missing something, but when did Cajun Red become transparent? You sure can't see through it. I've seen nothing about transparency in the ads, just that it disappears under water.