Opinions on my catfishig spot? - Share yours!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by river_rat_42, Apr 4, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish a location on the ohio river called saluda. Same place my grandpa used to catfish. Its a section of the river that is way out in the boons no houses for miles. Someone has built a nice dock goin bout' 30- 35 ft. out. There are two creeks coming into the river one on both sides of the dock. (about 250- 300 yrds. apart) There are lots of tree stumps and log jams in the area too. Sounds perfect right. Well me and my buddy fish that dock all the time but have never caught a fish over 9- 10lb's or more than 3 fish in one trip. What kind of advice could yall give me that might change my luck in fishing this area. Locations in which to fish it, what kind of bait, anything that may help. THANKS

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If it was me, I would fish those log jams at night with live bluegill or cut skipjack. this should improve your catch somewhat. That should bring in some nice flatheads for you.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im with JW I would try for flats around those stumps and that. How many times have you fished it? I would just keep trying and maybe when the water warms up you may get into some good flatheads! Sounds like it could be a good spot and produce some fish to me so Id keep hittin it and see what happens. Let us know when you pull out the hawg!:)

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Is this spot in a curve (inside or outside?) or a straight stretch. Plus, how deep is it where you are fishing and are there any significant depth changes in the area (or deeper water in the area up or downstream a bit)? How deep is the water around the stumps and such?

5. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I started fishing the spot late summer last year, maybe 2-4 times a week. So the water was pretty warm then. Keep in mind i dont have a boat yet so its hard to get to the log jams and its also hard to tell how deep the water is. I was told that there was a channel within casting distance of the dock, would you all fish that.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You can't leave out details like not having a boat or no depth finder.:p

Keep in mind that your there and we're not.

Now go JW.