Opinions on monsoon storms.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by tofish, Jun 30, 2009.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i know i get smart and don't go out. not worth it.
    gary

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you will not catch me on the water if a thunder storm is heading in. i get off the water and take cover asap. heard to many stories and seen the damage lightening can do. growing up the in the deep south taught me t respect thunderstorms

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    For me: Lightning = seek cover fast. I'm glad we have thunder to warn us of the coming danger.

If its raining buckets without bolts, I love to fish, I have a lot of luck in the rain.

I really hate fishing in the wind though.

4. azfisher

azfisher New Member

State:
    arizona
    stay off the water when there is lightning and your fishing pole is a nice lightning rod (graphite is conductive) but right after a monsoon blows by fish coves by washes you'll see a mud line from all the mud and crap the washes wash down into the lakes. fish just on the outside of these mud line with nightcrawlers and you wont beable to rebait fast enuff. I've had my best fishing in az on this pattern.

''

5. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I personally had a very bad experience in a Fast creeping Monsoon. Almost lost a boat. I'll never be on a lake when a monsson hits, But after a storm I've had some good luck.

JD

6. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    We have a client here at work that got blown off her jetski by lightning. It messed her up pretty good she seemed goofy in the head for a long time after that.

7. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Wanna fish the desert during monsoon, eh? Click here for a taste of what you're in for. It's even more "fun" in the dark, on a small boat, with lightning! Got caught out on Bartlett once. Lost my anchor, which was just as well- you couldn't hold bottom with a loaded cement truck on the rope! Water coming over the sides, can only see between lightning flashes, and then you wish you hadn't because it's really ugly to see where the wind is pushing you! Personally, I regard fishing as a sport rather than a suicide pact! :wink:

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    tell us what you think should be done Billy. think common sense now. how fast do these storms move through? usually pretty fast.
    gary

9. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Depends. Avoid moving in heavy rain unless you've got radar! Zero visability is no joke even for a little bit! If you can see it coming, you're reasonbaly close to the dock without a huge body of open water to cross, and your rig is up to rough water and night running. If not, beach it, but do not choose a beach at the mouth of sizeable wash (flash flood potential) and try not to be the highest object out there.

I would feel comfortable in my boat- it's got tall sides, a closed bow, deep V hull , a high windshield, searchlights,automatic bilge pump, and lots of power. I wonder about some of these bass riggs I've seen. Plenty of power but the hull is about as thick as a potato chip! Stable fishing platform but not a good rough water choice I would think. I don't own one so I'd like to hear from the guys that own them. I'm talking about wave action in excess of 3 feet with wicked winds.

10. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I usually throw out an extra anchor, break out the bong and watch the pretty colors. Sometimes all my hairs stand on end and i can feel the charge in the air around me. It can be quite thrilling. :tounge_out:

11. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I do the same, except I get the bluegills and waterdogs stoned too, and blast that Pink Floyd song from the Umma Gumma CD...."several species of small fury animals gathered together in a cave, and grooving with a pic"

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Bill, i asked in seriousness. not to make fun. i'd head to shore, and wait and see if storm is running through. meantime, get in tent or car.
    think the bong was was smart remark. least hope so. a way of smoking dope.
    gary

13. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    You don't need to worry about all the waves, just the ones pouring over the rail. Sea serpents? That's what we're fishing for! :smile2: As for the lightning hitting you- That's up to the Old Man upstairs. Best we can do is try to stay out of the way and keep the graphite rods down. Dark clouds building up? Wind suddenly shifting? Get outta there!

As for the bong thing- Get caught in the mosoon with a bong a you'll forever wonder the Happy Hunting (Fishing?) Ground in darkness!:cool2:

Attached Files:

14. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just a joke. I don't worry about the lightning as much as the water. I've been swamped twice. I just run up river where the water is calm and wait until the storm is done. It'd be hard to sink the boat i have now.
    1. Death is just as random as lightning.
    2. if i got bait in the box, the boats not leaving the water.
    3. i have caught some huge fish and good numbers of fish right after the storm.
    4. if you fish with me in a storm i'll where a tin foil hat just to make you feel better. lol

I'm digging in away from the waves and waiting it out.

15. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    No wonder you catch so many fish. LOL

16. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just trying to be funny. I'm straight edge, do not even drink. I do ocasionally huff the gas fumes coming out of the tank vent though.

17. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Joey... good to see ya out there... are you back in town? Was just down to Yuma last weekend and it rained pretty good driving back thru the sand dunes.....

Actually.. on Easter break I was down on the river and boy did it come in quick... ripped my bimmi top off my boat... one day, and the next day thank God for windshield wipers.... The ole bass boys heading back to Fisher landing sure looked wet...LOL

18. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    If the wind starts picking up and I can hear thunder getting closer I'm at the shoreline as fast as possible. I wait out the storm and then back at it. The fishing can be phenomenal at times after a good storm.

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    I figured the bong was a joke, but he sounded serious asking what it was.
    i will come in though. if full monsoon is coming. those these you never know what is gonna happen out there. then head out again soon as it passes by.
    Ray, joey is still over playing in the sand pit.
    gary

20. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    The waterdogs and bluegills cant hide when they are on marijuana. They are like "Hey look at that flathead, he's so cool, come on Mr Flathead we are cool, this whole predatory thing is overated" J/K I am as clean as they come, i dont smoke anything, or drink beer or booze.