Opinions on mono/braid!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by pr1mo5, Sep 28, 2009.

1. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    What are the pro's of using mono while falthead fishing and what are the con's?

What are the pro's of using braid and what are the con's?

What is the minimum lb test for flats everyone uses?

2. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Both will do a decent job of catching fish. The thing I like about braid is it's much smaller than the same test mono, and there is no memory to it.

If I recall correctly, mono is more abrasion resistant and braid doesn't stretch (and break) the way mono does. I'm sure Rob or some of the others can can provide more details...

I use braid, 80-130lb test depending on the rod/reel...

3. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have 3 poles i use 4 cats. not at sametime. 2 of them have 130lb tuff line and the other has 50lb spiderwire and have not had any problems when i do hook up with a big fish.and like mark said my 130 is the same as 30lb mono.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Two items to remember if fishing with braid. You have no stretch or forgiveness for a mistake. When fishing around rocks it will fray fast.

5. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Ok thanks guys. So this brings another question if you get a rod and reel that the rated line is say 50-80lbs does that mean mono or braid? Because if it says 50-80lb mono then you could put say 120lb braid right?

6. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I think in general, those ratings are for mono. Braid is noticably smaller than mono, so you'd be able to get away with much stronger braid for the same diameter of mono. I look at it as extra insurance. It's more $$ but when I go fishing in alaska braid is all they use, and that's their livelihood...

Rob has told me the reason he uses braid is so he can rip the big cats out of the real heavy cover...

7. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Yeah my rod and reels was only rated at 80lb line max so i put 80lb braid but i think i could have went 120 or more.

8. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use braid so when I get hung up I can just uproot the tree. Eventually with my help, all the lakes in AZ will be tree free!!:smile2:

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    You can put whatever braid you like on that pole. . Braid is definately way more absrasion tolerant than mono. One nick in mono, and the line integrity is severely affected.
    Pole rating is a whole different deal. When a pole is rated 30-80 pound. That means you typically you want to use line in that range. That way the line breaks before your pole breaks. But I use 150 even on poles that are rated for 80 pounds. Just dont crank your pole up in the air when you get snagged. If you have to break 80 pound braid due to a snag. Point your pole directly at the snag, and pull strait backwards, this way it will either come loose, or you will break your line, instead of your rod.

10. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    :smile2: You not the only one on that quest!

11. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Brians qwest is to pull out every Wal-Mart bag that floats by. LoL They always send the bait clickers crazy when they hot your line in fast current, figure a bag of water has to weigh 10 pounds!! I still remember Art," this is it!!!!! Got me a monster!!!"
    Me " well, is it fighting you?"
    Art "Hell yes it is putting up a hell of a fight"
    Me "heck yeah dude lets get him in"
    Art "Brian grab the net"
    Brian "probably a stupid walmart bag"
    ME "nah it looks like his pole is going nuts"
    Art "Walmart bag my butt"
    *****10 minutes later, a walmart bag!!

12. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Im sure its a good explination! lol Im sure its a bag non of us have seen before the wal mart bag that fits there big screen tv's in. :smile2:

13. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    A big walmart bag full of water weighs a ton. You have seen the current we fish in. We have seen walmart bags full of water that probably weigh in at 50 pounds. 1 gallon of water = 8 pounds. It screams your baitclicker.

14. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    lol yeah im sure it would have got me going. Hopefully next time i get out there i dont get one of those wal mart bags. That would get me so excited by the time i get it in and see its a wal mart bag, you guys would see a grown man cry:smile2: