Opinions on importance of turkey decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by beeheck, Feb 12, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have used a couple different types of turkey decoys over the years and am looking to get some new ones. I have used the hard bodied type and had good luck with them and then went to the blow up type that are great for transporting but I think I'm not seeing as many turkeys and I used to with the older style. Any thoughts on what type to get and do you think these blow up type are worth a hoot? I think I want a Jake and hen that can be set in a feeding type set-up or put into a breeding stance or do I need to just use my blow up decoys. The blow up ones look good but I'm not sure how they look to a Tom. In another thread I mentioned that I have a doghouse blind that shines like a mirror but I got a private message and they wondered if it was the blind or my decoys? Good thought. Any input?

2. sharpshooter

sharpshooter New Member

State:
    wharton, TX
    I use the feather flex decoys and they work pretty good. They are light and can be folded up and put in a bag. U can get a hen jake or tom. I don't use decoys that much where i hunt, because it is pretty thick but if you hunt in open woods or more open spaces, a decoy would be a good bet.

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    There are times when decoys are the ticket, like an open field set up, but for the most part I don't use decoys that much. I would avoid the blow up style decoys, simply because I'm hard on equipment. LOL!!!!!!!!! The best decoy would be to shoot a hen in the fall and mount her yourself. Would cost you probably around $30 or so to do it yourself. God bless.

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    I wouldt use those blow up ones mosty cuz they will get holes and things in them while walking through the woods and things like that. I use feather flex and they have been good to me, the only thing is the color on the head flakes off so i need to repaint them but o well cuz it gives me something to do. I like to use decoys early in the season, but i dont use the breeding position early in the season like some guys do. I just get a nice little flock kinda spread out, no jakes on top of hens or anything just a nice normal flock spaced out. Because the hens will see this and go to em and so your gobblers will follow the hens. Early season is a good time to use the single jake decoy, if you were to only get one decoy make it a jake. Yet sometimes the oldest toms wont come in to the jake because they dont want to fight so they just walk the other way. Yet when a little younger more dominate birds will run to them. Later in the season is a great time to use that single hen cuz them toms havnt seen there girls in a while and want to breed, so i would use a single hen, and sometimes that breading position gets em later on too. Decoys are a great tool to use while hunting and doing it correct will bring birds in, but i have had times when they wouldnt come into them, dont know if it was because they have been hunted a lot or didnt like the setup. So the best thing to do is get out and try them.

5. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    thanks for the tips brian know i can get a turkey

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Are you guy's telling me that you use those turkey decoys for turkey season TOO??? Never tried that, but I sure use them for deer season. I set out 4 hens and a couple of jakes out in a field I hunt the edge of. Evening hunt has does out in that field nearly every day. They feel safe seeing them decoys out there and don't hesitate coming out before dark. Throughout the season, I store them in my ground blind between hunts. I wouldn't advise that unless your on private ground as I am.

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate them. We hunt mostly on the edges of fields and some times I use my decoys and other times I don't. I like the idea of the decoy as it gives the Tom something to understand why a hen is clucking. I always feel when I don't have a decoy out and am calling, the birds have nothing to associate the sound to. Seeing a decoy lets them feel like they see a bird and hear a cluck, must be OK. Have to look in to featherlite decoys.

8. DuckHunterChuck

DuckHunterChuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i just use decoys. turkey arent that bright. i jus grab some dekes, and set them up. jus in a random spread. i dont really put them on top of one another or anything like that.sometimes i hunt without decoys. it works just fine. but i have onlt killed 2 turkey in my life, so i dont know everything, but that was my first season too.:)

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I knew you were crazy but thats just sick!!How would you hold the gun?:cool:

10. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Bill,
    I use the feather flex decoys in a trio.When season is hot I use a jake mounting set up.Another thing I do when in cover is use a invisable hen.Just walk to a spot you have a clear view of, and tie a cord to a short shrub about six inches high with branches reaching the ground.Between calls give the string a couple of short pulls so it sounds like a turkey scratching for bugs.The tom will home in on the sound and give you a better shot.

BILL

11. TimberTalker

TimberTalker New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    haha now that is funny

12. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    And plain ol' wrong. LOL!!!!!!!!! God bless.