Opinions on Boat Speed

Discussion in 'Boating' started by DJH1, Jun 1, 2008.

1. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been thinking about a 17 or 18 foot jon boat with a tiller handle motor for fishing and duck hunting. I've considered a 1760 with a 40 or 50hp tiller motor or an 1860 with a 50hp tiller. Anybody have a rig like this or have and idea what kind of performance to expect with this kind of setup?

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    you should do well with either setup. I am gonna tell ya though. Tiller steer that big will get ya wore out pretty fast. Not usually much more to get the basic console. my 2c.

to answer your question though, I would say 25-30 either way.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    But.... see next post..

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BUT...... you sacrifice lots of fishin'/huntin' space with a console.
    Bill in SC

5. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kinda what I was thinkin, but just want to make sure I've got enough power without breaking my bank account.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We had a 16 with 50 hp merc on tiller. It was handy in the woods but ya better hang on to it if ya bump a snag. All in all, i loved it for a hunting boat.

7. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 16 foot flat bottom jon boat, with a console. I really do like it. Only problem is that I only have 1 small storage box on it, and a small live well. Other than that, I dont have much room. When theres 2 of us in the boat, with poles, and tackle, and everything else, there sure isnt much room...

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Tillers don't have to be beasts.

ShilohRed runs a 90 hp E-Tec tiller...you might pm him, and get his views.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have run tillers and manual starters where possible all of my life on my boats for room and simplicity.Less maintenance with less to go wrong.Also for shallow water running,you are there where you can watch your prop and water outlet.This lets you run shallower and safer at all speeds.Props and water pumps last longer because of this.Some have no need of such.Some do.

Consoles,electric start,bells and whistles let a lot of old cripples like me fish longer.Manual start on some of the old big motors would test your manhood.It was best to have a Gorilla along for a fishing pardoner.Now a dead battery on a electric was usually worse.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.Where and how you fish is everything in the decision

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Good point, Peewee.

I have a 28hp jet, with a 40hp powerhead, that I haven't used in years. The manual start was just too much for me.

I wouldn't even think of a manual start on anything over 20hp, or so. No way, no how.

11. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 15/48 Legend Craft with a 07 Yamaha 2 stroke 50hp tiller handle w/power, tilt and trim and it also has trim tabs on the back of the boat and this set-up will run over 30mph with gear and 2 people and is VERY controllable! The only reason I bought a big bay boat was for the room.:wink:I love my tiller handle for in tight timber or shallow fishing!:big_smile:

12. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    my dad bought his first boat when I was about 14 it was a 16' with a 100hp mercury 6 cyl outboard electric start and also with a MANUAL PULL START ROPE!! we had to use it several times while on the water:crazy:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Tillers don't have to be beasts.>

Absolutely correct! If you have your trim tab adjusted correctly, they are every bit as comfortable as console steering. I LOVE tiller engines, and the open space with NO console.

Bill in SC

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to duck hunt out of a wide bottom 16. Had 50 merc with tiller and gets around in flooded timber 100 times better than console. Be careful though, hit something and it's hard to hang onto.

15. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ive used the tiller for years and got around just fine, but found the consoul looked much more comfortable I just bought one today well my girlfriend and i did. and a 17' boat 84 inches wide, i think the tiller wouldnt give you the visual as well as being towrd the middle or front. bought ours used, and will let you know when the ice melts:sad2: good luck our consoule doesnt take up much room the seat is a cooler with a butt seat attached to the top. thought that was good idea, utilizing space