opinion

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by eric2006, Sep 10, 2008.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    1987 FOUR WINNS 17 - 1987 Four Winns, 17' - FIX 'ER UPPER - Motor runs. Boat needs deck. No trailer. 110HP
    Sorry it won't let me add the pics on here, but from what i can tell from the pics, the interior(Seats) and exterior looks good.
    The asking price is $500..this is kind of telling me that its maybe gonna costs a little to fix this boat
    I have'nt ever fixed a boat up, so im not sure how much a deck would cost..
    Any opinions would be great.

Thanks

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure on the boat type or what it looks like, but boats can be expensive
    B reak
    O ut
    A nother
    T housand :wink:

It's like most projects - it costs more to do it with materials that will last and that are made for the job, less to take shortcuts. And it's not just the deck, remember, but it's a trailer and possibly motor work as well.

How much it's going to cost you also depends on how you're set up for tools, your skill level, and your determination to finish it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but just some things to consider. Good luck with whatever you wind up doing!

Branden

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i did a search on your description and came up with what i assume is the boat your looking at. From the pics the boat looks to be in pretty good shape, seams to be an awfully low price, I would get as much information from them as possible about the condition of the hull, outboard etc. The deck is a pita to replace but absolutely doable even for a person with moderate skills. Heck if the outboard is in good shape it is worth more than the asking price.

Attached Files:

4. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    If those are the pics of the boat, and assuming the engine is not seized up, I would probably buy it. If you have to put another 1000 to 1500 into it you will still be in good shape.

5. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yeah thats the oat i was talking about..

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Eric there is one thing that you should consider over and above the price of repairs. Do you have the patience and aptitude for tinkering and repairing things? Do you have the will to get the job done? If not you might get discouraged in the process of repairing the boat. Personally there is not much that I cannot do. I have been blessed with being good with my hands and can do about anything that I decide to do. I however get bored and lose interest fast and rarely finish a project. I have come to accept this flaw in my character so I make boat payments. :smile2: