Opinion Please

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by strictly catfish, May 21, 2008.

1. Brother's,

I am going to purchase my first baitcasting reel. I am aiming at Big Blues.
    Please leave suggestion's on a reel that could handle a 100 ilb. Blue.
    Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
    Strictly Catfish

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu Garcia 7000 c3i is what I would choose...If you were targeting fish a little smaller, say 50-lbs I would go with an abu 6500.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jack's absoultely right on the money! Don't know how many 100lbers you're gonna find. You'll catch alot more under 50 I'd assume till you find that once in a lifetime fish. If you've never thrown a baitcaster, I'd go with the 6500. It's easier to learn to cast a baitcaster with, then move up to the 7000. If you chance into a 100lber with the 6500, as long as you have the right rod and fight him right, it will handle it. If you've got an area were you know there are 100lbers and the chances are good you'll get into them, then I'd definitely go with the 7000.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Pflueger contender G30. best reel ever :wink:

5. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I'd say the 7000 is your best all around trophy reel.Pair it with either an Ugly Stick or Black and Blue custom rod,seven and a half or so feet long.Also,use a high grade line,maybe even a superline.It's thinner,less coil and casts easier with less backlash.I tried to learn baitcasting with cheap line,thinking I'd save money if I had to cut out birdnests.Wrong.Those cheap lines tangle like crazy.Trust me,you get what you pay for.
    Good luck on your quest for a 100 pounder.Remember,the last record came from Lake Texoma,Texas.If Mullinex can do it,so can you.:smile2:

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There are a lot of reels that will handle a 100 lb catfish. I think your decision needs to be based on the type fishing you do. If you fish from a boat you need a reel that will lob a bait and distance casting is not as important. If you bank fish then you will need to look for a reel that is strong and smooth enough to cast a great distance if needed. I would recommend the Abu Garcia 7000c3i for boat or bank. Good luck.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Abu Garcia is my weapon of choice, though there are many other nice brands out there.
    Bill in SC

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    KEVIN,

I WOULD GO WITH THE ABU 6500 c3 BIING THIS IS YOUR FRIST BAITCASTER AND THEN IF YOU LIKE IT MOVE UP TO THE 7000c3 ARE EVEN THE 9000 ANYWAY THE ROD AND THE REEL IS ONLY HALF THE BATTLE THE REST DEPENDS ON YOU WHAT KIND OF FISHERMAN OR YOU:big_smile:

9. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I vote with the majority, for the money, it just doesn't get better than the Garcia 6500 and 7000 reels.

10. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Targeting fish in the triple digits reach for any old Penn. Last year I brought in not a fish but a snapping turtle close to triple digits on my LongBeach 67 a cat that size are really not a problem at all.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Is a reel made for "Bait casting" practical to use for a "Bait fishing" reel in your situation for 100 + lb.fish?

You asked for opinions and suggestions.You have got them.I will include mine.If you will look at where the folk are from,you will see that they are inland freshwater fishermen.I have seen no one who has claimed to have caught a 100 lb.fish answer your question.Percentage wise,there are very few inland fishermen who have caught a 20 lb.fish of any type.Few % wise have caught a 5 lb.fish.Just the facts of life.

Now many older saltwater fishermen have fought and caught many 100+ lb.fish.Most commercial have caught thousands.Most were not by choice mind you.The 20 lb.and under fish we fished for were "bait size" fish for the millions of marauding sharks that we had to deal with to fish.4-7 lb.WHOLE American Shad were a very sought after fish for bait for the Sport Shark Fishermen.A 5 to even 20 lb. whole bait fish was used for large "Jew fish" as we called them.

Penn Reels were used on salt water simply because the others did not hold up as well.I can assure you that the Aba-garcia and such would have been dominate had they held up and been the best for this fishery!

I was a child who's home was on a landing where I-95 crossed Santee Cooper.The guys camped at this landing that caught the first World Record Channel Cat that I ever heard of.They fished with large Penn Reels.It seems as if the record books I later read,read different on it all.A 5 lb. hand lined Crappie I saw also went into the record book.So much for my belief in the wording in the records.I just know that no fisherman could have ever lied about a record or contest for monetary gain.Even the BOC seems to have been involved in a tournament where the largest fish was declared illegal.The fisherman in question claimed politics and dishonesty in the Judging!Sad,but he is the only one who really knows for sure,no matter what all of the evidence looks like.I say this as "polygraphs are not accurate according to thieves who pass them or other irrefutable evidence for some who have failed"!Now I "believe" that the guy was guilty as charged,but I do not "know" this!I only say this to caution those about what you read.

Most folk prefer what they are familiar with and have difficulty with a new thing no matter if it is better.Mature very experienced fishermen with years of experience have claimed that They could never learn to cast a Penn,yet I have seen thousands of small children casting them for 55 years.I have heard "Penn fishermen say the same about other brands.Few want to learn new things.Fewer still wish to admit it and rely on excuses.We all are guilty of this.

Check out the Manufactures and other sites on the internet for "facts?"to find out which reels are consistently listed as catching 100+ lb.fish.The one I have found more than all the rest put together is Penn.Now this is fact as I believe it.I am not a "Brand man".I have 5 different brands of reels made to handle fish in excess of 100 lbs.and I don't even fish for such.They were necessary to keep such from tearing up my rigs when such fed on my catch,and for the guest "Shark Fisherman".Also many of these 100+ lb.saltwater fish swim up to 5 times faster than Catfish,if the speeds I have read are right.

No rig will never be better than the operator.What you can do your best with is the perfect rig for you in my belief.The largest most expensive rig is not much use if you do not "know it".When I say,this,I do not mean that you have to be able to catch a fish with it.I mean "Know it" if you are going to hang into a big fish and catch it.If you can not reel in a 100 lb. log where you fish,you surly can not handle a 100 lb.fighting fish!

Ok,I believe that I can safely say that you will have the best chance of reeling in a 100 lb.fish with a 14/0 Penn and 200 lb.line,BUT,is it practical?If not,what is?

By the way.You might want to check out the 33 lbs.of advertised drag on the Shimano Charter Special 2000 Lever Drag which was designed and tested for 100 miles of full strength drag from what I read in their literature.It is a very fine mono and braid level wind reel reel.I love mine as have all others so far.I also love my Penn Long Beach 68,Penn 145 GTI.,Mitchel 4/0 GL,Okuma Coronado CD90,big Aussie Alvey and Daiwa 7000 reels.

For the ultimate sportsman,Alvey sells Hand reels or "Hand Casters" as they call them.Now you get your big or little fish on these for a thrill!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    any abu reel 6500 and up oughta hold. i dont know much about em but i seen some 60# striped bass caught on the shakespear tidewater t30.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Abu 6000 or 6500 will get the job done.

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Gotta echo Peewee on this one. The larger Penns will handle the 100+ pound fish with ease. Most any Senator, the 209/309, Jigmaster, Squidder, and others will do the job. These reels (Senators not included here...) can be had on Ebay for significantly less than you will pay for the Abu reels new.... My last Squidder was 28.00 delivered, and needed 20.00 more in necessary parts. I have bought mint/near mint Jigmasters, 209's and 309's for 25 to 35.00 dollars. The Senators will cost some dough...

Good luck on getting that 100 pounder!

15. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    To me it depends on how much line you like to put on a reel. 6500 if you don't plan on long runs. 7000c3 if you are fishing in areas that the fish may run.

16. I have pondered the opinion's and have decided to go with an 6500 ambassador and custom Catfish Safari fishing rod.
    I really appreciate the opinion's and the thought's behind them.
    Best of luck out on the water.

Sincerely,
    sTRICTLY Catfish

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree with this post. The Garcia reels are a great investment.

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Abu Garcia 7000 Big Game, Penn 209s or 309s will work also. Just find whatever fits your budget and still gets the job done.

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You made an excellent choice Kevin! Enjoy your new outfit! :cool2:

20. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For smoothness and strength, the Penn reels such as the 320, and 330 GTi, or GT2 reels are heavy hitters as well. I have used the Garcia's, and for medium tackle all of my bait casters are still Garcia's, but I would not trade my Penns for anything. I am not saying the Abu Garcia's won't handle the 100 pound incounter that you seek, they most definately will, I just prefer the Penn reels. The issue that you need to hash out is what price range are you in? If you are looking for a cadilac for the price of a civic you can't go wrong with Abu Garcia, but if your budget allows for a higher sticker price you can get smooter more reliable reels.