Opinion on rod misuse.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by peewee williams, Oct 19, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Due to a handicap,I have found that I like to use a spinning reel with a conventional rod at times.At times I seem to be able to use different reels such as Casting,Trolling,spinning,under spin,and spin cast best due to sizes,fish species and my constantly changing conditions.A bag of different reels and lines is easier to carry and swap out than a bunch of combos.I can not cast,so this is no issue.What I wonder is if this type of use is or could damage the rods,as they are not made to use this way.With the x-tra guides could I be stressing the rods some how?I fish for smaller fish,but there is always the chance of my catch being used for bait by bigger fish.I see no harm,but I could be missing something.peewee-williams

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Peewee since casting is not an issue and you are catching "smaller" fish you should be fine with using a bag of reels and conventional poles. I have to say that as long as your fishing and able to do so you do it. With all the experience that you bring to the table for other members you have earned not only my respect but my friendship as well and I say do what you want anyway you can.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its no problem for the rod and won't hurt it. The only problem I see is that the guides on a spinning reel are set up in such a way to funnel the line back on the reel spool, small to large. You may get more line twist, but maybe not since you are not casting.

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    benji could not have said it any better!!

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks.I ain;t the brightest bulb around.At my age,I know that what you don;t know can cost you.I would hate to damage a rod because of some thing I did not think of.What works best and is easiest for me and or the person that I go with is what counts.I am use to the strange looks at my odd rigs.Not often,but at times I get pretty close to normal for a while.I am in a constant change mode much of the time and that is aggravating to keep adjusted to.I still enjoy watching people fish,breeze on the water and I doze when I am tired.Taking me is like taking the baby along.It's 1:47am.and I am enjoying a bowl of "Crowder Peas with Ham".Hanging around waiting gets plumb boring at times.Mind you,I ain;t complaining or in a hurry.peewee-williams

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    peewee williams, You are a ROCK and the fact that you want to continue our sport under your physical conditions is an admirable Quality! I applaud your ingenuity and hope to someday meet you and have the privilege of fishing along side of you. The rods are constructed to perform a task and may have multiple variations to support this. It should not hinder or destroy the rods under normal conditions to interchange. The fact that you are catching smaller fish by percentage make this a mute point in the first place. Good Luck and Keep It UP!!!!

HOPPY4

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Gator would have the best input on what kind of rods would be best for you

Aaron
    TA2D