opinion on pawn rod/reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by eric2006, Oct 10, 2008.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    the guy that i work for owns a pawn shop and he just got some rod and reels at of pawn. he has three abu garcia reels, one is a 5600 on a 7' catfish nite stick, a 5000 on a 6' bass rod and the other is a 4600 i think.
    All are in rough shape, scratches, dents etc. He wants $59 for the 5600 combo and $45 for the other two. Whats your opinions on these??
    Im gonna ask him if i can try them out first before buying..

Also there is another combo, not sure of the name, i think it started with master. The rod isnt good but the reels is much larger then the abu 5600 and is asking $39 for it..

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    dont know but some of these boys use them they will be aaround soon

3. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have bought several rod/reel and or reels from pawn shops

watch out try some line on it and take to parking lot and cast it a few times. Try it out b4 buying, most decent dealers will let you try it just to make a sale

ALSO with pawn shops you can deal with them sometimes, I have actually bought a reel priced at 30 for 22-25

I have taken weedeaters out and put a touch of gas in and weedeated their grass b4 buying

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    seems kind of high to me for a rough shape reel. you can find some remanufactured ones on ebay for less id guess.:confused2:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Definitely over priced. Try flea markets and/or garage sales. You'll be happier. I'd hate to think I purchased a rod and reel that was stolen from another fishermen, and, well, with a pawn shop you just don't know.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have gotten some good deals at the pawn shops, I never paid what they were asking. You make them an offer and deal with them. The best thing to do is educate yourself on price and quality on rods and reels. Then shop the pawn shops or ebay, just be careful you don't pay to much. As for what he is asking for his rod and reels I think its to high for the shape there in. I have bought the 6500 c3 and c4 abu garcia reels for less and in really good shape. The best time to shop is the end of fishing season and winter months. I also found the pawn shops better deal with you at the end of the month since they have bills to pay.

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Asking to much for what you descibed in fact i would not even buy those.I take care of my fishing stuff and Garcia makes a reel worth the effort to do so.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It sounds like the reel are over priced if there all banged and dented up thee worth about 15. the rod (cat stick ) 20. new so take a long look before u buy and you Friend is there to make money

9. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks guys. i agree with all of you.

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    WAY TOO MUCH!!! Unless those reels are antique, they were barely worth that much when they were brand new let alone after years of wear and tear...

Definetely test everything before you buy, make offers and come back if not really interested and they don't come down!!! If it is your friend he might cut you a deal, but when it comes to Abu's those are small!

If you are looking to do big game fishing I wouldn't go anything under 5500, but prefer 6500 and 7000!

Good luck

11. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If the side plate of a reel has a dent in it then more than likely the spool won't turn as freely as it should. The dent will actually change the angle of the bushing/bearing and create friction. Like everyone else I think they are over priced. Good luck.

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    you can always log into cabella.com and get some king kat polls there cheap and hard working

13. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Just be careful what you wish for. I dream of cheap rods and reels. Luckily,dreams haven't come true. Just evaluate what you want,price it new, then go from there. Sometimes,cheap prices are a way to disguise junk. Just a thiought