Opinion on new outboard motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dave53, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    This question is to Bob and any brothers who have purchased new outboards lately.. by March or April I should have enough money set aside to buy a new 25 horse outboard motor.. I have really been looking hard at the new 4 stroke motors but that would mean I would have to wait several more months to buy one.. I have looked at several shops and have found new merc's starting at 2,300. I have a Johnson 9.9 now and I want to go to a 25 or 30 horse but nothing bigger.. Any suggestions?? I have a 16' jon boat and I'm trying to trade for a 18' wide bottom.. 25 should be plenty of motor to push it I believe and the gas wont kill me..Anyone with any recommendations would be appriciated.. thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have not had one but I do have a friend with one.

Johnson E-tec

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think you may find yourself wanting more than a 25 hp on an 18 foot boat. Personally, I believe in maxing a boat's horspeower out.

That said, I've heard the Mercury tiller motors can be a pain to keep running. The reason is Mercury has seen fit to incorporate the gear shifter into the throttle, and that means you can't let the motor idle much at all without throwing it into gear. Unfortunately, with a cold motor, throwing it immediately into gear causes it to die, so you end up repeating the starting procedure several times at the ramp. This seems to be a common problem with duck hunters who use their boats during the coldest months of the year.

Alsom several websites sell "camp" motors that have been used for one season. These motors can be bought at a significant savings and they carry a warranty as well. They are definately worth looking into.

If I were buying a new 25 hp motor today, I'd strongly consider a Yamaha.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bought a new Mer 60 HP 4 stroke two years ago. I already had a Yamaha 85 HP 2 stroke, that I bought new 11 years ago. Never touched the Yamaha other than a few lower oil changes.

But I will say there is NO comparison in the two, for the 4 stroke is far superior in cold starting, quietness, and fuel economy.
    Also the Mer came with a 5 year factory warranty.

Have owned a couple more brands that I wouldn't recommend.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If I was buying a new motor, I'd save my money and get a 4-stroke.

(Actually, I guess I already did that, as I got a Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke on my new Xpress HD18SC...)

I looked long and hard when trying to figure out what boat to buy, and wrestled with the 2 vs 4 stroke options. Ended up deciding I wanted a 4 stroke for several reasons:
    * Better fuel economy, at least in the smaller HP models. When you get up over 100hp or so, I don't think there's much difference in the two. But around 50hp, the economy is something like 2 to 3 times better in the 4-stroke.
    * No need to mix oil or worry about the oil injector going south. Cheaper operating cost also.
    * Quiet as a church mouse. When I start my Yamaha, I have to look for the tell-tale water stream to know whether it's running or not. Really.
    * Better warranty by far. Mercury offers a 1 year warranty on their small 2 stroke engines. They offer a 3 year warranty on the 4 strokes. Yamaha offers a 3 year warranty on the 4 strokes and gives a free 3 year extended warranty as a promotion. Suzuki is doing the same thing. This was one of the major selling points for me - 6 years of warranty vs 1? That's a no-brainer.
    * Easy starting in all kinds of weather. The Yamaha has a computer that's a lot smarter than I am; simply turn the key and it starts. Every time. No priming, no choking, none of that garbage.
    * Newer technology that pollutes a lot less. Makes you feel better about running it on the water -- you don't leave that lovely rainbow oil slick on the water behind you anymore.

The only drawback that I know of is that a 4 stroke engine doesn't have the same low-end torque that a 2-stroke does -- they tell me it takes more HP in a 4 stroke to get the same hole shot as a 2 stroke. Whatever - I'm not out there to break any speed records an I'm not a B@$$ fisherman so I don't spend my day running at top speed to a spot, casting twice and blasting off for the next one.

6. lakerat

lakerat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I strongly advise getting an optimax from Merc. The fuel economy is a little better than a four-stroke. it is oil injected(no mixing).If you buy before April 15th you get a free extended warranty. The only thing is it's a little louder than a four-stroke. I may be partial due to the fact I sell them.:)

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    As stated above, think hard about getting more power than you think you'll need. You don't have to use it but it's good to have it. I have a Yamaha 4 stroke and love it but I am very impressed by everything I hear about the ETec. The most important issue, I believe, is get the motor with the best dealer support. When you need to take it in you want someone who knows what they are doing. Ask around and get a feel for the better service guys.
    2 or 4 stroke, Yamaha or Suzuki, Merc or E Tec is really secondary to who can take the best care of you. The promotions are helpful whether in the purchase price or things like the extended warranty but if the people helping you to keep it running don't know their stuff it can get miserable. Good luck with your decision...W

8. lakerat

lakerat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Metalman has a real good point about service.I would take his advice! Service may not be an issue for a few years but you never know. You need a dealer that will back the product. I work with a dealership that pushes our service dept. We have a great service man and we back what we sell but not everyone is that way sadly. Some people only care about the sell.

9. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dave i have a 16 foot widebottom and i just purchased a Yamaha 25 4 stroke in jan of 2005. It had a 25 2 stroke on it when i bought the boat and it did well but the motor was kinda old and gave a few problems from time to time . I have had no problems what so ever with the 4 stroke , it run great it quite and its good on gas . I do recomend you get a lil more horsepower if your going to a 18 ft tho . the 25 4 stroke pushes mine ok but it could use just a lil more if ya ask me . thats just my opinion !!!! I do all kinds of fishing from my boat and depending on what kind im doing i may have more than 2 people in the boat more weight etc...... if i were you i would go with a lil more if your goin to 18 ft . again just my opinion

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Tiller fishing motors...The book that comes along with the motor,is not for emergency toilet paper.If they read it,they might be able to start the motor in cold weather,and keep it running.I have used small OMC & Merc.motors for over 50 years,From south Florida to Maine,summer and winter.The two things that brought me to Mercury tiller motors was,no shear pins and ONE HAND motor control,through the tiller handle.There is a knob on the front that controls your choke,idle,and trolling speeds(read the book).A regular thermostat will keep it running down south.Mecury sells kits for their motors,that lets them run till the water freezes over.I have fished in a aluminum boat,with the ice from rain still in it,after fishing all day.The mecury started and ran fine.OMC also ran fine in the cold,while the salt spray froze to my boat.2 vs 4 cycle,only time will tell.2 cycle is simpleThe extended warranty for 4 cycle,is to sell higher priced motors.What is the warrenty and maint.with each,going to cost you,over time.Are they going to last 10,20,30,40,and 50 years?My 20 year old 2 cycles run just as good as my 2 year old.I am 60.People my age will not live long enough to see all the answers.Now,I am going to hurt some feelings with a OPINION."Any one who starts and runs a internal combustion engine of any type,without properly warming it up,is abusing the engine."4 cycles are here to stay,like the microwave oven.BUT,like the microwave oven was going to cook from the inside out,Oh,well.peewee-williams

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just bought a 17' 2005 Triton duck boat with a 75hp 4 stroke mercury, it has a 22p SS prop and will run about 44mph wide open. It is good on gas and it has yet to miss a beat. It is very quiet and has lots of power. I beat my friends boat out of the hole shot and to top speed and he has a 90hp 2 stroke on his 18' boat. So far I have 73 hours on this engine and the only thing I have done to it was change the oil. Good luck with your decision.

12. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you're after speed, buy a Mercury. If you're after reliablity buy a Yamaha, Johnson, or Evinrude. In my 24 years, my dad has owned 2 motors, one 1980 Evinrude 15 HP that ran reliably for almost 25 years until we finally broke the motor mount trailering it once after an idiot relative dumped concrete at the base of our boat ramp. Dad followed up and bought an 1987 Evinrude 20 HP which has been quite reliable as well. It is a little cold blooded, but it's been a good motor. You won't win any speed competitions with them though. My grandpa's always owned Mercury's and he blows us away with his 25 HP Merc... and it's not just the extra 5 HP, that thing flies. However, he's been through 3 25 horse Merc's in the time we had the one 15 Evinrude. We run in a deeper medium-sized river that's full of snags and rocks though. So all these motors took their share of abuse. So, my point is that if you run in water with a lot of hazards, especially in smaller rivers, Mercury's are a black anchor. Also, as some previous posts alluded to, the total tiller control on Mercury's is an engineering nightmare. There is so much to go wrong with this design. My uncle also owns a Mercury and has had this aspect of his motor serviced a few tmes. I personally have always had better luck with OMC products (although Johnson and Evinrude were bought out by Bombardier a few years back). I'm also high on Yamaha's as I've run them up in Canada in some pretty adverse conditions. Whatever motor you choose, tight lines to you!

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have a 25HP Merc with the shifter in the throttle and have had zero problems with it starting and staying running. You can use the pull out choke and you can also turn the same choke knob to speed up and slow down the idle. Took some getting used to but I would buy another one without thinking about it. But I would love to have a 4 stroke but can't justify the price.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The exhaust gases out of 4 stroke engines are just as deadly as 2 stroke.Your auto is 4 stroke.They will all kill.The larger the engine,the more that it will put out.peewee-williams

15. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I have heard that if a lake is used for drinking water you will not be able to use a 2 cycle in that lake. I purchased a Honda 4cycle 40 Hp in 2002. It is a good motor. There are some things I do not like about it. One thing about it, it is very cold natured. I keep getting water in fuel. Have plastic fuel tank, not in the rain. Weeds get tangled in prop very easy. Did not have this problem with my Evinrude and traveling the same area. My brother in law has a Yamaha 2cycle, it seems to be a good motor but you have to ware ear plugs when it is above a idle. The people I have talked to that have Evinrude seem not to have any complaints.
    Good luck and good fishing
    Joseph

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Joseph, you need an in-line water separator if your engine doesn't have one already - most of the newer ones already do.

You might also spend some time figuring out where the water in your fuel is coming from -- either there's a leak in your tank and it's getting wet in the rain whether you think so or not, or it could be from condensation - if you typically leave the tank mostly empty when storing the boat, water will condense on the inside of the tank at night and run down into the fuel. Best to store the tank completely full of fuel.

Don't know what to tell you about the weeds though.

Peewee-- you're right that all exhaust is dangerous. But there's a reason 2-cycle engines are mostly not being produced anymore, and that's because the stuff they put out is especially noxious. 4 stroke engines don't put out nearly the same crud in their exhaust.

17. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    You guys are great..thanks so much for the response to my question. Right now I have a 16' jon and I thought a 25 would be enough motor to push it. I like the idea of the tiller .. I think it is a control thing..I feel safer when I have control of that boat and motor.. I really appriciate the input you guys have given me. You have me leaning towards the 25 horse 4 stroke right now even if I do have to wait a couple months. I dont want to outrun anyone on the river..just be able to get out of the way of a bardge or to shore in bad weather..thanks again for all the replies.

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    if you store you tanks in the garage on the floor then the temp difference will add water to the tanks. I thought it was a line of BS, but when I placed my tanks on a 2x12 or a shelf I no longer had water problems. Also never get fuel for anything when the tanker is unloading. I dont care what they say about filters that stuff makes it past. I grew up pumping gas and we always ordered our gas well before opening so the tanks would settle. Good luck and remember to put the plugs in before you get wet. lol

19. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Thanks for the advice on the water. I do have a filter on the motor. Do not know if it would be a water seperator type. I will look for one, that is for sure.
    I will surely change the way I store my tank. I try to keep it full but I still think it is condensation. I can not figure out the differents between my Evinrude and this Honda. The Evinrude had metal tanks and did get water in them, enough to rust the bottoms of the tank but never had a water problem in the carbs. I purchase another plastic tank from Wal mart and it is worst then the one that came with the Honda, about water. Go figure!
    Dave, I would like to give you my two cents worth on the 25 hp, not big enough. Surely it will do the job but a little larger motor would be a lot better. Now, I am NO lover of speed. You will use the extra power. Now a 25 will scare the hell out of you with that boat empty but how many times do you go fishing with a empty boat?
    Good fishing
    Joseph

20. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I agree with you PeeWee. I got my information from my wife's Brother In Law that works for E.P.A. I hope he was B.S ing me but I don't think so.