Opinion on motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by WHISKER BENDER, Aug 24, 2006.

1. WHISKER BENDER

WHISKER BENDER New Member

State:
    n.c.
    I'm looking at a 06 Honda 4 stroke 15 hp(used). What's some things i should know before making a decision?:roll_eyes:

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Ask about thier maintenance on it also start it up to shouldnt be much of anything wrong with a 06 model engine but there are some that dont take care of anything also check the oil on it see how it looks. main thing is to start it see how easy it starts how well the waterpump is pumping etc.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How much you have available. Those things are expensive. LOL And it only gets worse.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Has it been used at a fish camp? If so, it probably has hundreds of hours on it already, even being brand new. At very least, I'd want to know fairly accurately how many hours are on the engine.

Find out the history of the motor - any damage or abuse? Make sure the factory warranty will transfer to a new owner and inquire whether an extended warranty was purchased with the motor - you can usually transfer the extended warranty for a fee.

Has it had regular maintenance? Oil changes? Lower unit too?

If there's any obvious signs of abuse on the lower unit beyond the normal scrapes and scratches, I'd be leary.

5. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Water pump output, check for good pressure out the tell-tale. Also check for water in the lower unit. Check for water in the crankcase oil. Does it start and run ok? Should be no blue smoke out the exhaust. Look for damage, cracks, around the lower unit skeg. Is the prop all beat up? These things help tell the story of the motors life.

If that motor has a computer on it to control fuel injection, etc. The dealer may be able to connect his service computer to it and find out how many hours are on it.

Good luck. 4-strokes make great trolling motors.