Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

opinion on if this is a good price on this gun

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  223reload 
#1 ·
found a remington 700 ADL in .222 remington. the guy wants $395 for it. is that a good price? its blued, plain wood stock and no scope. it has the notched rear sight and a shroud over the beaded front sight. any opinions would be appreciated.

#4 ·
If the rifle is in good shape and the barrel is not shot out then it is a good price on the gun. The triple duce though is a round that has been outclassed by the .223. Had the US Army used it instead of the developed .223 it would be more available with more offerings. It is a fine round and not a barrel burner like the .220. Look at being able to get ammo and cost and then have fun.

#5 ·
just doing a google search the rifle sells around 6 to 700 average so I would say yea. Is it the .222 or .222 mag?
its the .222 and sorry about posting this here and not in the guns section. when the site finally came back on last night i could not find the guns section on here. he is gonna let me look at the barrel through the bore scope to check it out and if its good i'm going to put some money down on it. you don't see many guns with that small bolt face and even less in the .222. the guy said he would let me pay it off a little at a time so thats a good thing. the rifle will be for my dad as he has always wanted a .222

#7 ·
Not a deal. I think it's fairly priced though.
The ADL you describe isn't worth any more then that compared to what they are selling for.
There are 700 dollar ADLs, but it aint that ADL.

You can pick up used BDLs 550ish , especially certain times of the year people tend to NEED money.

In my opinion if you can wait and are willing to spend more I know you would be happier with a BDL.
Better resale value and I got to have the floor plate myself. I hate a rifle you got to rack a shell to unload it.
With a floor plate, they'll fall right out the bottom.
You can get an ADL to BDL conversion for around 150 bucks not installed but I would rather take that 150 and add to what I already had on hand for buying a rifle.

My personal preference in a rifle. The 700 in synthetic and stainless.
Since I got one I'm sold on stainless and synthetic especially if you hunt.
Bought a 700 VS SF in .308 15 years ago. Still looks like it did the day it came out of the box.
It's been through the woods and up a many tree. Hunted with it in pouring down rain, sleet, and snow.

There is only a few rifles I would buy today that weren't stainless and synthetic and I consider those specialty firearms.
I still want a Henry or two and I'd love to have the discontinued Remington Peerless.

#8 ·
Remington 700 ADL, good-very good condition depending on the year. $395 is a good retail value, if bluing looks good, very few scratches/blemishes/discoloration in the stock, and clean bore with no pits. Being .222, it is a bit more collectible, so at the right auction, with the right people bidding on it, it could bring maybe $500 or a little over, even. Being able to pay on it bit by bit, without any interest/added charges, you'd have a good deal. If it comes with a decent scope you can add about $10-$75 extra, sling, add about $20 extra to the value.

Generally, in order to get a more accurate idea of gun values, it is a good idea to include Serial Number, date of manufacture, and a few pics wouldn't do any harm, either.

#9 ·
its the .222 and sorry about posting this here and not in the guns section. when the site finally came back on last night i could not find the guns section on here. he is gonna let me look at the barrel through the bore scope to check it out and if its good i'm going to put some money down on it. you don't see many guns with that small bolt face and even less in the .222. the guy said he would let me pay it off a little at a time so thats a good thing. the rifle will be for my dad as he has always wanted a .222
update: the gun shop owner that said i can pay it off a little at a time is starting to be an azz about it. he said it was fine to do so and said take as long as you need. i've been putting money on it since then. took him some the other day and he starts on when are you going to pay it off?, i could have had this gun sold 9 times over already, blah,blah, blah. told him if it was going to be a problem then why did you let me do it this way and say it would be fine? and if you could have sold it 9 times over already then why was it sitting in the rack for as long as it was? no answer then he started back pedaling on his statements. told him whatever bud and i'll get it 2 weeks from now. never had a problem with him before until now and like i said if he didn't want to do it this way why did he say it was fine? i have a hunch someone came in and said they would have given him more than what he wanted for the gun. he gets quite a few people that come in there that have a lot of money in their pocket to buy guns on the spot. whatever the reason once i get the gun and give it to dad it will be a long time before he gets any more of my buisness. i send a lot of folks his way and i know he has let others that do a lot less for him pay the same way as me and there was no problem. why he's giving me grief i don't know but thats not how you run a small shop like his. there was another shop that used to be do big buisness around here until they started pulling crap like this and they went under. you would think that he would know better as his father in law worked there and even told this guy when he opened to treat your regulars right or the buisness will go under. oh well sorry for the rant. guess i needed to vent a little.

#10 ·
just thought i'd add that if this gun didn't mean so much to my dad i'd tell this guy to stick it up his hind end and pull the trigger. but dad has always wanted one like this and i know he'll love it. so i'll deal with the guy til i get it.

#11 ·
Contract Law 101:

In order for a contract to be a legal contract, there needs to be a few elements involved:

1. Offer. The seller made an offer to sell the rifle, and from what I've read, the seller also made the conditions of the sale known.

2. Acceptance. The Buyer accepted the offer, including the conditions (making payments without interest until paid off) that the Seller placed on his offer.

3. Consideration. The Consideration in a contract is the mutual benefits derived or promised to be derived by entering into the contract. In this case, the Consideration is the exchange of time payments without interest (monetary value total sum of $395) for the buyer to receive the product (rifle).

If during the "arms-length" negotiations there were no misrepresentations of material facts, and the parties to the contract were considered as being competent parties at the time of the contract being executed, then the contract is in force. Pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), a verbal agreement which is for less than 12 months is a binding contract. Moreover, any subsequent changes to a contract after the initial effectuation thereof, necessitates agreement by the parties to the contract in order for any amendment to the contract to exist. Any unilateral amendment to the initial agreement is otherwise a breach of contract within itself.

Hope this helps.

Capt. Leonardo Ortiz, JD • DD • MsD (not a lawyer, but emeritus law professor)

#12 ·
Every time I have laid a rifle away it was 120 days to pay it off and no interest.
No timely payments required. You just had a certain amount of time to get er done.

There should be no additional cost in that arrangement because you aren't borrowing money and have not taken possession of the rifle.

#13 ·
Every time I have laid a rifle away it was 120 days to pay it off and no interest.
No timely payments required. You just had a certain amount of time to get er done.

There should be no additional cost in that arrangement because you aren't borrowing money and have not taken possession of the rifle.
The time element is set by the individual store but must be expressed during the negotiations and prior to entering into the contract. Some stores require timely payments. Some stores don't.

Likewise, the arrangements are up to the seller and buyer. Some places have and do charge additional fees for lay-a-ways.

However, once a contract has been entered into, it cannot be unilaterally changed by either party.

#14 ·
The time element is set by the individual store but must be expressed during the negotiations and prior to entering into the contract. Some stores require timely payments. Some stores don't.

Likewise, the arrangements are up to the seller and buyer. Some places have and do charge additional fees for lay-a-ways.

However, once a contract has been entered into, it cannot be unilaterally changed by either party.
Maybe a signed contract.
I've never signed a contract on a lay away.
The store posts the lay away policy on the sales floor.
Either you get it or you don't.

No way in hell would I deal with a business that charges interest on money that WASN'T borrowed.
I won't do business with someone that offers a lay away plan and charges for it.
There are too many businesses out there that don't.

#15 ·
pekin gun/surplus shop here does 120 days. you put at least 20% down. you have 120 days to pay. you could put 20% down and pay it off on the 120th day without a payment in between. doesnt charge a dime for the plan either. and i would walk away from anyone who began adding hidden charges to a gun i was buying . ive got several guns from him like that.

if he agreed and someone offered to buy it out right or for more cash than he had on it its nobodys fault but his own. after you get the gun tell him to stick it up his rear and you will take you buisness elsewhere. then tell him why.

#16 ·
Maybe a signed contract.
I've never signed a contract on a lay away.
The store posts the lay away policy on the sales floor.
Either you get it or you don't.

No way in hell would I deal with a business that charges interest on money that WASN'T borrowed.
I won't do business with someone that offers a lay away plan and charges for it.
There are too many businesses out there that don't.
For a few years, some of the big box discount retailers started charging a $5 fee for lay-a-way. This included Wally and Kmart

#17 ·
My dad had a .222, and a friend had a .222 Mag, I couldn't tell the difference as far as performance, and I always figured I 'd get a .222, but then the .223 came out, I got one figurin on using it to hunt deer, but couldn't. I traded it, but the point is for a Rem 700 its a fair price I think. The .222 has been overtaken by the .223 but its still a pretty good round. If it will make your dad happy, then thats what is important.

I'm sure there are other rifles out there, and if in the meantime ya find one you could just walk in and say ya gonna let him sell it to someone else, and take ur business elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.