Opinion on diiachi circle-chunk lite

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by dklark, Jul 19, 2006.

1. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    anybody have opinion on these hooks? been using them for 3 years with excellent hook-up ratio,almost 100%(tightlining,rod in holder with drag firm but slightly loose with clicker on) these hooks are not true circles but closer to a kahle design in my opinion

2. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    just one question,
    do you fish with the spool engaged and the clicker on?

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    diiachi makes good sharp hook thats for sure

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have seen them in action on the James many times as they are used by one of the top guides, and in my opinion they are they best circle hooks :smile2: They have a much larger gap than most circles and you are exactly right they are more like Kahles than circles.I use Kahles but if I wanted to go with circles these would be the ones.I have had years of experience With Daichi hooks when tieing flies and I can attest they are an excellent product.:big_smile: :smile2:

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I have found that they hook up very well. They are too expensive for me though (3.95 for 3 hooks here) so I cant use them as much as I would like.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've had a lot of trouble with foul-hooking small fish using the Circle Chunk Light hooks - about half the fish I've caught this year while drifting were hooked under the bottom lip, not anywhere in the mouth. I can't explain it, but that's what I've seen. I also use Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks and haven't had that problem with them.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They are my favorite hooks, but their cost drives me to use Eagle Claws most of the time. I save the Daiichis for when the blues are hitting good.

And I've used them both ways, freespool with clicker, and also with the reel engaged. For blues I've had roughly the same success each way, with flatheads it's worked better in freespool.

Lately I've been using Eagle Claw King Kahles for most everything, at 25 cents each it's a lot less painfull to lose one.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Marty, On the outside of the mouth? It seems like that should be pretty hard to do, but I've it happen a couple of times also. It's by far the exception rather than the rule, but it sure leaves me scratching my head when it does happen.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I caught a flathead this year in the tail with a circle hook while drifting down the river. I thought that was really weird. I've never caught any fish besides in the mouth with a circle, except this time.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I had that happen earlier this year...what I decided happened was the cat picked up the bait up to the hook and as it turned to swim away it piveted the point into the side of its mouth. Granted everything would have to be just right for it to happen but thats the only thing I could think of.

11. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I just started useing them and have had good luck with them. Hook up rate is 90%

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have had great success on them also, rate them right up there at the top.

13. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    yes,I have the spool engaged,but with the drag firm,but loose enough for a good sized fish to pull line and I put the clicker on.I let the rod load till the tip goes down good,but if its a big fish it useally just slams down and peels drag.
    That clicker squalling really wakes you up if you are nodding off at 1:00 a.m.!!!!

14. Catfish_John1979

Catfish_John1979 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    I almost exclusively use them... before i was using gama circles and we were getting alot of gut hooked.. and the points bent real easily.. so we switched to the Diachi and our hook up ratio sky rocketed... i love em.. well worth the 3 bucks for 3 they seem to stay super sharp

john