Opinion needed!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Feb 12, 2009.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    OK guys I am having a horrible time filling out my schedule for next school year. I need everyone's opinion.
    So I am thinking about taking this course called Gifted Apprenticeship. Basically to take this class I would opt out of all my electives and receive 3.0 credits per semester. In the class, I would be able to drive around with a Game & Fish Officer or any other career of my choice for 15 hours per week. The other time I would be working from home online. So guys what do you think I should do? Take that course or take Biology II, Geology and Astronomy as my electives.

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Would help if I knew what your major was and what career you are pursuing if it is in fact being a game fish officer, ie.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't limit yourself Lad.

What you want to do today you may not want to do tomorrrow. That course in Biology may open your mind to many other things. Same with any other course you could take. It is like dating only one girl in your life, there are a lot of girls out there.

Don't opt out of knowledge Lad.

4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    that sounds like a pretty good option, although those other coarses may be applied by wildife personel. that also depends on what you plan on doing after graduation, those other coarses may fit your field better . education ,thats pretty important

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    This would be an excellent thing to do to gain experience in the field of your choice. What are your career goals? If you could do this with the Agency that you want to eventually work for then go for it. If you did this then treat it like a job interview. Bad or good experiences with any agency could hurt or help you in landing a job with that agency. Good Luck.

6. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I have been planning on entering the Game & Fish for some time now. I want to start out as a warden and eventually go back to college and get a masters in some type of Biology.

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    My opinion then is don't stop schoolin to go to work, get what you're gonna get and go from there. Will open alot more doors for you career wise, Now I know some are not in it for the money, look at me, I wasn't,but alot of positions like that don't pull in many bucks... Usually when you stop to go to work you don't go back. Too much gets in the way, and the progress halts. Keep investigating the options and stay with the sciences if that is truly what interests you is my advice. I think it's a noble pursuit, and I hope you stay in the bio/chem field....they don't find people like that just walking the streets, you can go a lot of different directions with it, and there will always be a need for those disciplines in many areas...business, medical, environmental, etc... :)

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    What an opportunity........Follow your heart. What does your heart tell you?

9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you want to be a Game Warden and have a chance to work with one and get college credit then you need to go for it. This will give you a chance to talk about experiences during an interview that not all of the applicants can. It would give you a perspective of the job that you don't already have. The internship could even let you know if you really want to be a Game Warden or something else. Education is extremely important. This internship is exactly that. Education with real life experience that you can talk about in an interview. Plus the fact that you could really get to know the individuals personally that can help you land the job you want. To me there is nothing else to consider. I would go for the internship.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a tough one,Seth. I think our state still has the questionare on the point system. This would be a big plus when you get out of school and apply. I lost out of a state parks job by a few points way back,Because one applicant had a summer job at a park.

11. MOVINON

MOVINON New Member

State:
    Glenwood Iowa
    Is it possible you can do the apprenticeship during the summer? You would be wise to take biology and see if they have a marine biology course you can take. Geology would be good too.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I'll try here, but I don't know your goals. In Mn a decent job with DNR requires a college degree. For that, stay in school. If you can do the internship in the summer or on weekends, go that route. Experience is real important, but it seems education weighs pretty heavy too. It is good background info and helps get more outa the experience. Experience helps understand the things they teach in school. I'd say stay in school graduate, then get some experience. To be good at what you do ya gotta love it. High school is mostly boring, but ya need that background for the interesting stuff in college. Maybe ya can ride along with a game warden on weekends while going to school. Might open your eyes to the job a lot. That will help too. Like others said once you get a job, its hard to go back to school. Whatever your decision I hope it works out for ya.

13. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    This is just my 0.2 cents, but here it is....

If your goal is to get a Masters in Biology, but you are interested in being a game warden and work for the Game and Fish Commission, I would tend to lean towards taking the electives and try and work out some other way to get the on the job experience with a warden. If Biology is your goal (and a good one it is) then load up on the biology classes as much as possible, as well as the other sciences. Chemistry would be useful as well. When you go to apply for the Master's program, you will most likely need a decent number of prerequisites in Biology, Chemistry and you want to make sure you have those to get into the program. It also depends on what field in Biology you want to go for. I would suggest looking at some Masters programs now and getting a feel for what they require in order to get in. You will have to take the GRE's, at least the general one, and maybe a subject one in Biology to gain entrance into a Master's program. Your course background will greatly help you in getting good scores on these exams and getting into a good program. You want to be able to have choices and not just have to go where you get in. I have been through a number of graduate schools myself and I know how competitive some of these programs and schools can be.

I am in the camp of waiting on getting the job and trying to go through all the schooling you want first. There are a lot of ways to get on-the-job experience without actually working the job---through volunteering, arranging independent internships, special internship programs other than school, ect. Although, school is expensive and you may need to work first, if there is anyway to avoid it I would. Other things may get in the way of reaching your education goals once you enter the job market and I think schools would look more favorably on a solid academic background (though this may depend on what field in Biology you are planning to enter). As John Lennon says, "Life is what happens when you are making other plans."

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Oh, one more thing...do you have an academic advisor that you could talk to about these issues (one you can trust)? They should be able to help you best reach your goals.

14. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Guys I am going to be doing the internship during the summer for 1 month. I am not going to take the normal classes, however. I will be attending the community college for the 3 electives. I like it better because I get 1.0 credits per semester in high school. I guess I will take Wildlife Biology, Range Managing, and Microbiology.