Opinion/Mini Poll

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bacardipr05, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I normally target channels this year I have made the transition on catching flats. I'm still a channel man at heart just wanting to experience/learn something different. My question especially for the spinning reel crowd but open to anyone.
    (i dont use braided line by the way)

A.Is it better to use a lighter line and run the risk of a break off. :angry:

B.Or use a heavier line and run the risk of getting spooled. :eek:oooh:

I just wanted to see what some people thoughts since I have been pondering this question in my noggin for a bit.

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    On small reels I use 20# test. On my penn reels I use 40# test.I fish the Arkansas river most of the time. If I hook it I want to get to the boat.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Angel, the thing is larger line reduces the risk of being spooled better than lighter line, for two reasons. One is it is stronger than a smaller diameter line allowing you to put more pressure on the fish and turn him. And two because it is heavier you can adjust the drag with more tension and slow the amount of drag running off the reel vs the smaller diameter peeling off rather quickly. Either line can catch big fish if the drag and fisherman do their part, but personally I prefer to lose a bit of casting distance for the bigger lines. The bigger lines usually will give the fisherman a better advantage over smaller lines, 9 out of 10 times. Vern

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You guys need to listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about. Vern won't steer you wrong!!!

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use 20# big game on all my reels, spinning and casting.Set your drag right and it will land most any catfish. As for getting spooled with 400 yards of line it would take a BIG fish .A 50# flathead or blue can't where I fish.

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'd go with heavier line that way you can excert more pressure to turn a big fish thus reducing the chances of a bigger fish breaking you off and dragging your rig around the river behind it. jmho

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    No doubt, use the bigger line. Vern pretty much said it all. A 30 or 40 lb. test high quality mono will allow you to set your drag a lot higher than with a smaller line, keeping you from being spooled. Actually, if you were to tighten your drag too tight, the pole might break before the line. I use 40 lb. mono and the stuff is hard to break even when you try (like when you're hung). Just check your knots and use a stronger leader and you can turn about any fish, then you can ease up on the drag when the fish is away from snags or close to the boat. Good luck fishin'.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    All very good points thanks for the inputs. When I went to the Sporting goods store and was buying line for my mid-size spinning reels I stood there with two lines in my hand. One was 17lb test the other was 20lb test.(mono) I remembered that my one reel held only 120 yard of 20lb test. Then i thought to myself hmmm is that enough. If one day when the stars are all aligned I will possibly have a run in with a 30lb+ flathead. Which i am pretty sure it will take me for a nice run. Needles to say I went with the 17lb test at that time. But when i got home the question remained in my little head. Is 17lb test strong enough. Went back to store and picked up the 20lb mono and spooled the spare spool with it. :wink: Just wanted some inputs from the fellow BOC members as I am sure someone else at one point had to make the same decision.........

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Im with Verne too Bigger line is better! I use the big game also and have never had a problem with getting spooled. I prefer the green to the clear.:wink:

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you need a bigger reel. 20# test is at the low end of the spectrum for battling flatheads. i assume you are fishing from the bank? you say you are using spinning gear. why don't you check out cabelas salt striker reels. i bought one this year (can't remember the model number) that will hold 400 yards of 20# test and i gave right around $50 for it. its a great reel. it has 10 ball bearings in it and is a smooth as silk.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    In the near future i will be getting another reel. Just haven't decided on which one yet. Tie between Spheros a 4500 Baitrunner and looking at some others. Thanks for the input....

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Angel, I'll tell ya what, I don't have much experiance with large fish, but dafin does. I take what he says about catching very seriously because not only does he have years of practice, he also catches large fish frequently and is a force to be reconed with in the BOC fish offs. *(when his water ain't floodin)*

13. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i used to use 20# test but when you break it off fighting a nice flat you will step it up a notch. i use 30# berkly big game can't cast it as far but as far as i need to. i like the heavier line alot better.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always use 20# test mono and have never had a big cat break my line.I wont say it wont ever happen,but not so far.Also big is in the eye of the beholder,whats big to one might not be to someone else.

15. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I use 17-20# test on all my catfish rigs.I've got several nice flatties in the 40# and up range. My PB is 55# and it was caught on 17# Cajun Red mono, so far I've had no trouble landing the big cats with "smaller" mono. It's all about your drag if you ask me.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with vern, bigger line is the way to go. just make sure you loosen the drag while poles are in the rod holder(bank fishing) or you mite loose your rig!

17. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    So it seems like heavier line is at the front running. I still can cast twenty pound test pretty far wonder about 25lb.

18. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Zayes;
    I too am in agreement with Brother Parrish about using the heavier lines.
    I have two spinning reels I use for Serious Trophy Catfishing and I have spare spools loaded with different lines, and different tests, so that I can use the spool that I think works best for the conditions.
    Also, I DO use braided lines too so I have a spool of each reel loaded with a braid.
    That is one of the things I like about my Spinning Reels, you can have as many spools as you want filled with all different kinds of lines!:big_smile: Also, I use Saltwater Sized Spinning Reels such as my Fin-Nor 9500 and Penn 9500 too although they are not made anymore by Penn and have been changed, {for the worse in my humble opinion} and now are called a 950SSm I believe, if memory serves. But you wont see me buying one! Penn really screwed up a good thing when they messed with the design back in 2005!!:sad2:
    My Fin-Nor holds 600 yards of 100# test Braid and if that is not enough line then I have either hooked into a large Whale or am doing something really WRONG!!:crazy:
    Hope this helps ya out some. But to strictly answer your question, I prefer the heavier lines for my Trophy Blue Catfishing. At least until I get the world record! Then I will probably go to the other extreme and go Ultralight for a record that way!:roll_eyes::big_smile:
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of PM]]]]]

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'm guessing you already have a rod in hand or mind. for a reel how about an okuma epixor eb-80 its a saltwater grade reel that i have a lot of experience with. retails for 90 dollars and they have great customer service. now for another 40 dollars you can load it with 500 yds of 50lb test power pro and you're ready for battle.

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have been looking at a few reels its just the Okuma leaves a bad tastes in my mouth. After buying an Avenger that lasted a total of 4 trips before the side plate that holds the bail mechanism popped out then the bail went. Also have been hearing good things about the Okuma Salina. The rod will be either my Glow stick or a ten plus year old Shimano rod. I have been researching and hopefully I make a good decision was thinking about going with the new Stradics but I don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much money on a reel...... I just wan't something that can hold up if and when I get to tangle with a 30lb+ flathead.