OPINION! Is Trotline/Limbline cheating compared to rod & reel?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mavmannate, Aug 19, 2009.

Is trotline/limbline/jugline cheating compared to the traditional rod and real in your opinion? Expl

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Cast your vote!

My opinion is that it isn't. BUT! If you have a nice catch on a limb/trot line you should specify the method of catch!

I prefer oldfashion rod and reel though.

What do you think?

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I much prefer R&R for sport, but in the late fall of the year I will run limb lines to stock the freezer with eaters for those long winter months when I'm in front of the fireplace with Sweet Pea and the dogs:smile2::smile2: To each his own and it's a case of whatever floats your boat. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's not cheating if it's legal. It's legal here in GA, but any method other than rod and reel isn't considered sportfishing here, thus not eligible to be a state record. So, the 103 lb. flathead caught here on a jug won't be the new state record even though it's 20 lbs. bigger. Someone made a pretty good analogy in that thread, it's kinda like trappin' vs. huntin'. Trotlines, limblines, and jugs are more like trapping, and Rod-n-reel fishin' is more like pullin' the trigger yourself. A great catch is a great catch no matter how you catch it, but I prefer to set the hook and wear 'em down myself.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No, it's not cheating in the same way that winning the lottery isn't cheating. :wink:

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fine i guess ill be the first one to say it. I honestly kinda think its cheating. The main reason i think its cheating vs rod and reel is because you can run a lot more of them whereas with a rod and reel you can only have two. With that many more baits and hooks your chances are astronomically better!

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I enjoy rod & reel fishing, but i'm also looking forward to it getting colder here so there are not so many critters in the bushes.Then i will run some limb lines an some jugs .As i enjoy doing that also i will be r&r fishing while my lines fish

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Here in Arkansas you can have as many in the water as you can handle, I have fished up to 6 before.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Never done trotlines or limblines. but I'd say they are not cheating.to each their own.

9. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I agree from both ends.

Rod and Rell is the sport.
    Trotlines/Limblines/Juglines are a completly different sport. Isn't cheating, but if you caught a 100 lbs catfish on a trotline, well this pretty amazing, but not uncommon when you have 50 baited hooks consistantly out for a whole day.

No shame in trotlines, but there is pride and glory in rod n reel.

10. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its cheating? :eek:oooh:

Man...... For the people who think it is its harder then hell i mean the way we run them we never need more then 2 lines 15 hooks.

Try running one by your self in a river with current .. sinking the line puting on floats & rebating keepin the bait off the bottom ect its a pan in the butt all in all its worth it if your having a fish fry coming up and need some fish.

Its not like you throw out the line and catch your limit.. you gotta work the area see what kinda bait.Then be able to get it out there and make it stay and hope the fish didn't move and that you wont have 15 soft shell turtles when you get back and someone didint cut your line and get your hooks ect ..

thats like saying deer hunters are cheating cause the deer dont have guns...

White tale deer are the hardist damn animal in the world to get.... when you get a deer every year you can call your self a damn good hunter ... (Bow hunting that is ... LOL i dont hunt by the way):wink:

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I see it as a old school method of catchin fish to eat.Man has done this for thousands of years.Not cheating.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In the past....I've run my share of limb-lines, trot-lines, and caught many nice fish over the years, but all of my biggest fish have come on rod & reel fishing live baits & cut baits. I caught more numbers on the limb/trot lines, but the biggest ones have come from rod & reel. I am 100% rod & reel guy now for the last 20 years.

I dont consider the alternative methods to be cheating....there much more work than just casting out about 6 rods with bluegills and sitting back in my chair and fishing the night away. Anyone who thinks limb lines and trot-lines is cheating.....should get out there and try it for a while. I've still got one of my old trot-lines in the garage with 99 hooks on it. It hasnt been in the water in almost 20 years.:crazy: Maybe I've just gotten lazy over the years....but I really enjoy the rod & reel and the rest and relaxation of bank fishing for big cats!:wink:

13. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't think that trotlines are cheating, but they aren't much for sport either. Just my opionion and nothing more.

14. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish with rod & reel and use trotline/limbline (as well as jugs and other legal methods). I enjoy them all. When I'm enjoying the beautiful outdoors, just being 'on the water', doing any of these activities, the word 'cheating' never crosses my mind. If I wasn't outside enjoying the woods or the water in some fashion, I'd only be 'cheating' myself.

If it's legal, get out there and enjoy the beauty that is all around us. Just keep it clean so others can enjoy it also. Whether it's hiking, fishing (all kinds), looking for a good piece of wood to make a walking stick, photography or 'you name it', just be thankful that you have the health to enjoy it.

Ralph

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    trot lines are to rod and reel as guided hunts on game preserves are to deer hunting..it aint cheating but its a hell of a lot easier to get a biggun.
    i love trotlines, but i agree its a totally differant thing than rod and reel and i think shouldnt be compared..hell..whats the differance in settin a limb line and waiting to run it and setting a rod out and goign to sleep waitin for a clicker..dont use that clicker and its the same thing to me...just you end up with no pole when ya wake up and a fish doing some backwards trolling somewhere up or down river... i think a lot of people are too worried about what everybody else is doing and voicing their own opinions way too loud. nothing against the bitchin about unattended lines...i hate that crap as much as i hate piles of mono on the bank. no matter what kind fo fishing we are doing we as a whole need to be more responsible with our waste, i believe is what it boils down to. of course we have to consider..if everybody was as smart as all of us :wink: there wouldnt be any more cats left in the water..thank God for idiot fisherman who dont know how to fish lol:smile2:

16. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

That is very true. Nothing is cheating, but r and r is more for sport I think.

Anyone ever use shrip on a line?

17. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    This is funny and strictly just my opinion. I voted it as cheating but its not cheating. 2 Problems with what people have said so far. (1) People say they use them to catch eaters ha ha LMAO. So because you want eaters you go out, catch bait, line up 15 hooks and complain la da da about how much work it is to weight them, throw them, let them sit for 12 hours over night, when you can grab 2 rods,a cooler and a chair and catch 30 within that same 12 hour period at the lake. Nobody is lacking that much talent that they cant catch eaters, come on now eaters with a rod and reel. (2) The old saying people have been doing it since the beginning of time, ha ha ha So the next time the wife says hunny what do you want for dinner? Are you gonna go put some underwear on made of leaves, rub dirt on your body, let your hair down grab your tribal stick of choice and go stab a cow for food also. Maybe we should all live in caves and ride donkeys instead of a nice house, apartment, etc or drive cars. Let the 1800's go and get with 2009.

Naw I'm joking everybody, fish the way you like, I just wanted to keep the arguing going, I dont agree with jugline, trotline, limbline but I can have an intelligent discussion about it without wanting to kill somebody because their opinion is different from mine. Hell keep doing it, thats less people I have to worry about in my favorite spot ruining my weekend fishing, the current is too strong where I fish and plus I have friends who really dont like it and they cut the lines when they see them anyway :crazy:

We all have things in life going on that someone will not agree with, just have clean discussions about it and voice your opinion but dont look at people differently due to their opinion, but I'm really quite sure any fish caught with those methods couldnt possibly be more fun than catching the same one on Rod & Reel, drinking a beer, conversating and teaching a kid how to put that worm on the hook or how to reel line on a pole, etc

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it is cheating...In Ohio you can fish a trotline with 50 hooks, but you are only allowed to use 2 rods.

19. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I prefer the rod and reel, but must admit that I do find it fun to grab the trot line and feel the pulsing of a cat that has yet to be seen. Normally I run only one trot-line early in the spring and then only work it about two weeks. It helps fill a depleted freezer after a long winter.

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    PUT 50 HOOKS ON EACH ROD LMAO