Opinion about zebco fishing reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by longbow310, Jul 10, 2008.

do you think zebco reels are good quailty reels?

1. yes

2. no

3. some what

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. longbow310

longbow310 New Member

State:
    sc
    Do you think zebco makes good quailty reels?

2. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I believe Zebco makes one quality reel, that being the Hawg Seeker. Zebco makes Quantum and they have excellent reels, in my opinion.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Zach,
    When I think of Zebco I think of spincast reels. Many love them, I hate them.
    I would not have one if it was free...W

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    there have been a lot of fish caught on the zebco 33. There are a lot of people that are not professionals :smile2: ...LMAO like us, that will catch a lot more fish on one. I think it is all a matter of what you are fishing for, where and how much fishing you are going to do. My grandparents were avid panfishing people and would not fish with anything but 33s. I'm just saying..... trophey cats, no .....bait, yes.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Quality isn't the issue...design limitations is.

They are slow, and somehow manage to lack power at the same time. The drags are primitive, as are the line pickups. They don't hold much line. They have a maddening tendency to fail to pick up the line after the cast, requiring you to pull line from the reel while simultaneously cranking the handle. I could go on, but I won't. I agree with Winston.

6. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    I have great memories of when I used my zebco 33 when I was a little kid, I still think that zebco is going down hill,:embarassed:

7. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    While Zebco may not be the best reel out there, I would have to say that they are pretty good. I dont know any person that fishes that hasnt used a good ol Zebco 33 at least once. I love the 33s. They are dependable and they are easy to use and rebuild. They are great reels for the kids too, and anyone that is learning. So like said above I would have to agree that if your going for a trophy cat, no a zebco is prolly not what you are gonna use. But if you are looking for something for the kids to use or to use yourself for bait or pansize fish, a 33 is really hard to beat.

Just my .02 worth.

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    A toy made for kids:big_smile:

9. j wynn

j wynn New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have used zebco 33s since I was a kid and they are a good for the money reel. I now use a Zebco Omega and it is one awesome reel in my opinion but it is also $50 not $15 like 33s. the omega is great for bass and crappie fishing, don't really think it would ever be considered a catfish reel. you could pull in 10 pound or less with it ok but for the big cats no way.

10. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have several of the old thirty threes. When i say old I mean the ones with steel inside and baitclickers you can hear and know what it is. I hve pulled in a lot of fish all the way up to about 15 lbs with them. I wouldnt trust a new one to do that, no way.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Wouldnt leave home without my 33........ when catching bait:wink:.

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dangit Brandon. you stole my thunder.. :smile2:Thats what I was gonna say. I think they're great reels in thier respective place. I use them to baitfish. But any serious fisherman has learned the hard way how to throw a rod in a plastic reel. I had one literally melt down and blow apart one time when messing around with a huge ball of strawberry carp bait. It was funny though.....

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I perfer a 808 0ver a 202:smile2:, but I mean they are fairly good!

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I still have the zebco 33 I got when I was around 11 yrs. old. I'm 42 now so that reel would beeeeeeee,well it's pretty old.I still use it for channel cats. I used to even grinnel fish with it. Thinkin about gettin one of those hawg seeker combos.

15. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    I love to fish for trout,crappie,gills with my 33,I have caught carp that was 20LBS,I caught cats up to 12LBS,I collect the 33,have over 30 of them,Have the first series made with box and papers,But I also know that a big cat is not like a pond carp,when I go for cats I use my zebco to catch some bait,then I drag out the big catfish rods:wink:

16. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Back in the 60's I started my collection of Abu Garcia's. Some years later I was going fishing and had all my gear in the back of my station wagon and I had to stop at the courthouse and run into the tax collectors office to pay my taxes. Now, I in the parking area next to the Sheriffs office and when I came back out someone had stolen all my fishing gear. No insurance, I could not afford it at that time.

So, I had to start over and I started over with the 33's for bass, bream, crappie, channel cats, etc. Then when I started camping on Lake Norman in the 80's I purchased two 808's with 20 pound test line. I used the 808's for stripers, the largest caught on it were several in the 18 to 19 pound range. This was back when the 808's had a metal casing, not plastic as they are now. The 33's and the 808's will do what they are designed to do and nothing more. The 33's are the perfect started reel for a young person or for bait fishing. I still have my 808's and 33's and use them off and on. Just recently I purchased two 11's and they are something else, again, only good for catching perch and bream/gills.

Zepco Co. acquired Quantum, but they do not make the reel. It is like most everything these days, they are manufactured by others.

17. DMFW_5

DMFW_5 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got a hog seeker combo for $36 and its not a bad reel if you keep it clean, its good for anything under 20#. I still prefer my ambassador over any reel.

18. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Zebco used to be affordable and reliable. Then they went to outsourcing, then they bought another manufacturer, then they went high end prices I live in Oklahoma and will not buy or use their products, does that tell you anything?

Keep fishing and remember its only my opinion

19. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Don't seem to be the same quality today. I still have one or two around but all I use them for is getting bait anymore.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In my opinion,Todays zebco's are junk. I used to use 808s and 909s for my channelcats as well as crappie. Back in the 60s and early 70s they were made with PRIDE,and steel. The last one I bought for my daughter greatly dissapointed me with it's quality.