Ophelia; A storm that just won't go away

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bobpaul, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's a class 1 hurricane again churning in the Atlantic. The center of the storm is supposed to skirt the east coast of N carolina, if it ever gets moving again.

Two days ago we watched the outer bands of the storm pass by. Yesterday it finally got close enough to produce some gusting winds and drop some tropical rains, and it's become progressively worse. It's due to pass by late this afternoon.

From the radar pics, It's showing the eye wall just about to brush land about 15 miles to the east of me.

Just a few moments ago, we experienced some wind gusts to near 50 mph.

It's raining so hard at the moment, I saw a 20# flathead swim by seeking shelter under my front porch.

This storm is just a puppy in comparison to Katrina.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    All I hope is that it doesnt flood out the cape fear area for the gathering, I hope it just gets moving out to sea. Good luck to everyone thats being effected by this storm.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I recommend a 4-6inch live brim for the flathead.Looks live its moving 4-5 mph north right now.The base has been prepped since yesterday and everything is shut down.Lots of rain so far and medium winds but nothing destructive as yet.Hopefully it will get on by with out to much trouble.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    That would be good if it went right by, but the only problem is that I still worry about my wife who is there and I am out in California training right now. We live 8 miles from the beach, I hope it doesnt flood too bad.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Bob you know ya'll had a out and a couple of free meals also...LOL Brother ya'll keep us informed of how you are doing.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The beaches north of me have yet to get anything severe. The storm's been moving north slowly, but at least it's moving.

The cloud movement and wind direction of this storm have changed from coming in from the NE to the NW. It's sure giving the trees a work out. I'm looking forward to a SW movement.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Radar now shows the NW eye wall brushing the coast of Southport NC. That's the furthest eastern point at the southern most part of NC. 15 miles east of me.

Winds seem to have picked up some and the gusts are stronger.

That flat head swam off to a safer place. :p

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    At your age you should be lookin forward to any kind of movement. LOL! Stay low and keep your head down. I'll be thinkin of ya.

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Just take care, and be safe.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It looks like now it is strengthening but it is also starting to turn NNE, so hopefully it will just brush by the coast and be gone.

11. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Hope yall stay safe out there on that coast, If you have been in NC for awhile you have seen some monsters this one isent to bad looks like its gonna brush us and move on.I dont think its gonna effect us to much with the gathering the river is so low right now this is the best thing that could happen. I mean rain wise.Yall stay safe hopefully there will be some good fishing comeing from this rain :cross:

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    So far because it's moving so slow, we've got from 6.1" to 6.8" of rain. I expect this thing to keep affecting this area well into tonight. The possability of 12" is not unreasonable

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hang in there, Bobpaul. It hasn't rained here since early morning, although the winds are still gusty, but only 15-20. She is a slow-mover, for sure. Yesterday, I got tired of watching weather reports and rode over to Basspro for some shopping. It was a lot nastier in Myrtle Beach than here at home, but nothing like you are getting today.
    By the way, are you sure about the size of that catfish? Sometimes water beads up on the windows and magnifies things, you know, LOL.

14. crlail41

crlail41 New Member

State:
    Hickory NC
    Stay safe, Bob. Hope you don't have much trouble out of this storm. You sure that was a flathead?

15. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Bobpaul, glad you got something from the rain storm. I had to go into work early today for ? all we got was a little rain and some gusts to maby? 30.
    at least it did scare a few tourists! :D
    seriously tho, I hope you don't have any damage!
    with water wings I'm sure you'll float! LOL

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It finally settled down about 4:30. Right now I can see stars in the sky.

I think i'll wait until daylight before I go to work, just in case there's any surprises in the roads.

17. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Glad to hear that you made it through the storm.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Our highest winds were about dusk this evening. Got the yard covered in leaves from the Birch trees.
    About 2 inches of rain so far.

Even though this one isnt packing the really high winds when they move slow they promote flooding and lots of rain.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well I'm on the base and we are surveying the damage but it doesnt seem to be very much.The usual tree and limb debris but nothing of note.Jacksonville lost some power last night but most areas remained on.The beach took a good pounding though.Our pier is mostly gone and will have to be rebuilt.Lots of erosion/All in all the USMC came through alright.Young man out in California training don't worry everything is ok it wasn't much by hurricane standards just slow moving with lots of rain.The Outer Banks will take a good pounding again I imagine.If you talk to your wife and she is in Jacksonville and needs help have her call the base emergency numbers.Train hard and dont worry we will take care of her if she needs help.

20. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Hope evryone faired ok.We had alot of wind and ALOT of rain here in Pender county.I hate those hurricanes!!!!!