operation mudcat, was the fines stiff enough????

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 6, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To me this is no deterent at all, they got a slap on the wrist.

OPERATION MUDCAT” NETS 45 INDIVIDUALS FOR ILLEGAL SELLING AND TAKING OF OHIO GAME FISH
    Ninety citations issued in 13 southern and western Ohio counties

COLUMBUS, OH - Forty-five individuals in 13 counties were cited on Saturday for the illegal taking and selling of game fish, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. State wildlife investigators may file additional charges.

“The illegal taking and selling of game fish exploits a public resource,” said Mike Budzik chief of ODNR's Division of Wildlife. “We cannot allow a public resource to be abused for personal gain.”

Wildlife officers charge the individuals involved were illegally removing game fish, most of which were catfish, from Ohio streams and illegally selling them to commercial, recreational fishing operations.

Ninety citations have been filed for violations including the purchase of game fish, selling of game fish, selling bait without a bait dealer license, aiding an offender, possession over the limit and illegal method of taking game fish. Investigators expect to file as many as 100 additional charges once the seized records are examined and follow-up interviews are conducted.

Wildlife officers have been building the case they dubbed "Operation Mudcat " for several years. Most of the charges are fourth degree misdemeanors and concern the illegal sale and purchase of game fish. Penalties for illegally taking and selling game fish include a $250 fine, 30 days in jail and loss of fishing privileges. The investigation covered 13 counties including Brown, Butler, Clark, Clermont, Hamilton, Highland, Jackson, Lawrence, Montgomery, Pike, Preble, Scioto and Warren.

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    At least it is a start in th right direction

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think they got by pretty easy but hopefully it catches peoples attention and deters others from doing it. I do like the name though, Operation Mudcat. Just sounds cool.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if they got the 30 dyas then I would say yes it probably is a deterent, but I wonder how mnay had those days suspended?

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i bet a few of them,if not almost or all get suspended,which is a bad thing.i hope they decide to give it to em with the additional charges they may be handing out.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    another thing, dont get me wrong I am glad they got busted.

But the sting took several years, I imagine many fish were sold to these pay operations in that time frame.

Garry is a fomer wildlife officer, maybe he will weigh in on why it took so long?

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    yeah,its a shame it takes so long to get whats needed to bust these guys.i would say,though,it sucks more for the officers who have been getting all the evidence together,then have to see them get slapped on the wrist for what they have been doing,i know i wouldn't be very happy.

btw,do you have a link for this?

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    need a judge that likes to fish and maybe they will get what they deserve

9. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I bet that fine is per offence, same as walleye up here in maumee river in the spring. 90 charges so far and possible 100 more, thats a lot of money and time. That's possibly $47,500 and and 15.6 years total. Each fish is an offence not each person so I'm sure some will nailed hard, as they should. The dnr has taken a pretty hard stance on selling fish in recent years and when they take that long to get em they got it pretty airtight.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    that could of been

11. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    If they would list the names and city of th offenders on the dnr website. I feel that everyone would really be watching them and thier friends to make sure it will not happen again. TURN IN POACHERS! Sorry just the way I feel about this!:angry:

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    welcome to the boc

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Okay guys ... let me see if I can help a wee bit ... Joe is correct is the per fish and not just per person ... in some cases the restituion can be much more costly than the fine and if these were large fish ... it probably will be.

Now, in cases like this ... they probably worked to get one or more persons on the "Inside" and maybe at both ends of the deal, i.e., sellers and buyers. Then they will have to observe the catching, the transporting and the actual sale and the releasing of the fish into "Pay Lakes" or where ever they were released. All of this has to be documented in detail ... search warrants gotten and served ... and arrests made ... I think two years is about right since were are very seasonal in Ohio and not much fishing done during parts of the year .... Hope this helps.... Garry-

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if the part about loss of fishing priviges are for ever i can buy that.

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Most of the time that penalty is for only a couple of years .... but they may have seized boats/motors, cars, trucks and any other equipment that was used in the taking, or transporting the fish. Unless things have changed (and they may have) we could seize items used in the violation of an offence, but only the courts could confiscate them or order them forfieted. Garry-

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Maybe we all complained enough they finally listened.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Ok, this is pathetic and it will not change anything simply because it is not going to get any pulicity. The people doing it obviously don't care about the laws and will just pick up where they left off. JOKE

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So Shane, should they do nothing then?

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It may well change things for the people that were caught, and word will spread through the grapevine. Some of the ones caught will not care and will continue what they were doing, but knowing that they are being watched will hopefully deter most.

It would be even more pathetic for ODNR to turn a blind eye and do nothing.

20. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Thank goodness that they have done something. And hopefully the fines will be quite severe, sounds like from some of the replies that they could really add up!