Operation Dry Water

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kuigy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    Looks like COs will be out in force this weekend looking for drunks in boats. The story is at http://tristateoutdoors.com/ Indiana and Kentucky are at about the halfway point down the page.

Does anybody know what the rules are for the Ohio River? I know that being .08% is illegal, but I've heard that you're not even allowed to have a beer open in the boat. Is that just in the Kentucky water or Indiana as well?

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    id like to know that myself...

everywhere ive been.. ive been told not to get hammered, and dont make it obvious im drinking alcohol, and i would be ok.. is this just a certain co's opinion, or will it stand anywhere?

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I don't know! I've heard that in some places that open containers is illegal for the driver but not for the passengers. I think that the laws should be the same since it's so easy to pass the bottle.

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i dont know what the rules are .... but there are way to many boats and crazy aholes out there for me to even think about fishing. i guess im gonna stick to dry land or go up above the dam this week ... less boaters up there and some good fishin.

5. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    I don't drink on the water anyways. I prefer to drink where when I fall off my stool, I don't have to swim back to it :tounge_out:

You put in at Yankeetown to fish the other side of the dam Dave? I've never gone East of the Newburgh dam.

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    [

You put in at Yankeetown to fish the other side of the dam Dave? I've never gone East of the Newburgh dam.[/QUOTE]

yep sure do

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    My fishing partner and I are in a boat all the time when we fish, and we prefer not to drink when on the water, because you never know whats going to happen out there, I've heard too many horror storys about drunken boaters to risk my life for a few beers!

8. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    @bigcatfish64 - Yeah, me too. Especially when I'm fishing the dam. But sometimes people will go with me who want to drink a beer.

I talked to the Commodore of a local boat club and he told me that the rule is no open containers. It's OK to go onto the bank and drink a beer, but not to have an empty can in the boat. I think that is only for the Kentucky waters though.

Also the legal limit is .08%, although it's officer discretion between .04% and .08%.

So to be on the safe side of the law, if somebody in my boat wants to drink a beer we'll beach the boat and hop out. Of course that leaves the question of what to do with the can. Littering is wrong but if it's in the boat it's an open container. Maybe just no beer on the boat is a better plan.