Operation Catch Fish-Bagdad, Iraq

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by GMC FishHauler, Mar 6, 2009.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have the pleasure to help out with Operation Catch Fish. This is a "tournament" where folks go out and fish the local lakes on base. The goals are pretty simple, catch the biggest, most, and or smallest fish of the day.
    I will post more details after the tournament and some pics as well.
    I do want to put out an official thanks to Shimano. One of the pros that is here had shimano donate over 250 rods and reels. Also Berkley donated alot of powerbait as well.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats brother, glad you are getting a chance to do some fishing

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Well, I was gonna fish. But when I called and asked a few questions they told me they were short on help. I volunteered to come help out when I was not tied up.
    They were also short on folks to work during the tournament so I volunteered for that as well. I will be handing out the rods and reels to soldiers that do not have their own.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats the spirit James, make sure and hand out plenty of good advice too! lol :wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Reps to you for the great job you are doing. The soldiers will not forget your kindness.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for serving your country,and thank you for helping the soldiers to be able to fish.:smile2:

7. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Where is this being held at? Im normally at Liberty but im at FOB Hammer for a couple of week. I wouldnt mind helping.

8. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    It is on Slayer. I went to the volunteers meeting tonight and alot of folks either had a change of heart and want to work tomorrow or their bosses told them they have too. Either way one of the pro's that showed up is gonna take me out and give me some tips. I really want to pick his brain about stateside stuff instead of Iraqi fish, but we'll see.
    I guess it is a good thing that alot of the Sergent Majors love to fish, because now alot of their "joes" are helping out. I think they were "volun-told" that they had to but either way we have enough help.
    THanks guys for all the support on here.
    I might start chatting with Paul about getting some sponsors of the BOC to send a few small items to the Bagdad Fishing Club here on base. After helping them assemble all the rods and spooling all the reels I learned what all they are short on.
    The really cool thing is that I get to fish with a pro and it is televised. :smile2: This is the first time in my military carreer where volunteering has turned out to be a good thing. The pro is Captian Eric Mannino from Florida. He hosts a fishing show on ESPN called "Inshore Fishing Techniques." I met him tonight and he seems like a really nice guy. I will keep ya'll posted and send some pics after it is said and done.

9. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Oh, ya'll should have seen his face when I told him I fish for catfish. He asked "why, they won't even pull drag." So I am going to invite him to Texas to take a little trip with me. I guess he has never messed with an angry blue or flathead.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Reps to you brother for all your hard work and dedication.:cool2:

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    James what your doing is great ..Way to go buddy.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Way to go James, great job, just a word of caution! If the pro starts showing you and the fellows up, try not to throw the grenade to close to the boat!:eek:oooh:

13. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well Operation Catch Fish was a success.
    Over 300 troops showed up to fish. Everyone walked away with atleast a T-shirt. The female e-8 that was fishing with the pro's and I won second in the women's division. I caught a couple fish but biggest was about a pound. It was a tough day for everyone and the biggest fish was a 13lb common carp. Second biggest was a 4lb 10oz carp. Third was 4lb 9oz carp. Only about 20 fish were weighted. It was a good experience and the pro (Eric Mannino) caught a 8lb carp but was not fishing the tourny. The female pro (Sandra Rankin) caught a 7lb and 3lb fish but was also not entered. I have to say that these two were extremely competitive. Sandra is a sweet girl and fishes for bass in tournaments back home. Extremely good fisherwoman. She gave me some insight on how to pick up sponsers for fishing.
    My camera was not present but am getting pics from several of the Army photographers as well as the production crew that was filming and taking pics. I will post as soon as I can.

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    sounds awesome. reps to you man. glad you could do something like that for the troops.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    WTG James. Nice stuff there. Can't wait to see your pics when you post em. Thanks for the work you put into our troops:wink:

16. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Had a great time fishing this tournament. I took 5th place and my bud Brandon took 2nd. We both caught our fish ( Asps) over grass beds in about 5 feet of water with 3/8 ounce curly tail jigs. Fishing is kind of slow right now in these lakes because they are spawning but they are starting to pick up a bit. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

17. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Thanks Jay,
    Drop me a line sometime and we can link up and do some fishing. I know where the 150lb Mangar lives, just have not been able to put the time in to go catch him.

18. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Sounds like a plan! I'm over on Slayer in P23. When I get 10 posts I'll shoot you a PM and we can set something up. I'd love a crack at that big one. I don't know if its the same one you are talking about but we saw something awfully big crash a school of carp in that area on the corner across from the barber shop on Slayer the other day. This fish was easily in the 6-7 foot range. I've seen some big ones here but this one was HUGE. We definitely have to link up sometime!

19. bcollins

bcollins New Member

State:
    Texas
    Carp bite is starting to pick up at Slayer Lake. The Asp are hungry as ever. Still waiting to nail that huge Mangar, though...Jay nailed a 20+ lb carp the other day that made me a bit jealous...

20. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Hey guys, keep up the great work. I'm really proud that you are able to get tournaments going for the soldiers, and thanks to all the sponsors who donated. If we would have had a man like you back in 03, and or 05 when I was in Iraq, I would have been estatic. I know for a fact that the soldiers are truly appreciative, as I am. You guys be safe over there and god's speed. I always knew there were carp in all of the ponds and lakes there, one of my soldiers would go out at night and snag them with his fishing pole that he had mailed to him. When you guys say Asp, is that similar to a pike, or sturgeon. I remember seeing some weird looking fish there.