Opening weekend in Kansas

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by brad kilpatrick, Nov 3, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm off to Mankato Ks. for the Pheasent opener!!!! see Ya all sunday night

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Good luck and take some pics for us....

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brad,
    Good Luck!!! Let us know how you did, when you get back!!

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Good luck to ya Brad. Hope y'all get a bunch of em.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Well, for those of us that missed the first opening weekend in 12 years, how was it?

6. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Well guys I made it back and have recovered from opening weekend. Moving the opening weekend of pheasent season up one week has a lot of peoples feathers ruffled here in Kansas. So I'll cover this first. 1st off The farmers are ticked because the opener is now in the middle of the harvest season. Many farmers choose to protest by not letting anyone hunt opening weekend. The merchants of these small towns are upset because now the Kansas opener is the same weekend as the Missouri and Nebraska openers. Tradionaly MO & NE open the weekend before Ks and We see a lot of hunters from these states. Now they are hunting their home States, instead of coming to Kansas for the opener, and its hurting these small buisnesses that rely on making a lot of income on opening weekend. I also noticed a lot less property enrolled in the Walk in hunting area (WIHA) program from last year. I would gather this was another form of protest from the farmers. Those unfamiler with WIHA it is explained here http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/other_services/private_landowner_assistance/wildlife/walk_in_hunting
    The hunters don't like the new opener because its just to darned warm to hunt birds on the second saturday in nov. much less the first.

All in all it wasn't a terrrible weekend, if I could shoot worth a darn I could have limited out opening day, but instead ended up with two birds. THe second day I got another one. My little english pointer Shelby put on an absolute clinic on the birds that decided to sit still. (temps in the mid 60's) Honestly I think Shelby pointed 90% of the birds that got shot By our group over the weekend. We saw a lot of birds getting up way ahead of us, the hunting should be much better when the weather cools down a bit.

7. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Born and raised there-
    I have a lifetime hunting license and lot of ground to hunt in Central Kansas but will pass until the weather cools off.
    My hunting buddies and large landowners watch the birds and know where ,they are only got 4 opening day.
    Either they got up way out of range or they walked over them.
    Too warm to hunt, I like a little snow cover.
    Mark

8. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Guys please post any negative or positive thoughts about the New Kansas opener date in this thread. I'm planning on sending the KDWP a e-mail to state My concerns about the new opener date, if this thread get good response I'll include a link so they can read this stuff too.

Thanks in advance,
    Brad

9. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    Well I don't hunt them but i have a lot of family that does hunt pheasants pretty hard. From talking to them they didnt really notice much of a difference. Yet I believe they should move it back to the second weekend again. I can understand why they want to get more hunters in Kansas and all, but I say go back to the old way. The farmers are out there trying to make a living and the state changing the dates on them I don't think is right.

10. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    The biggest thing about this year was the late freeze that put harvest off until later. I've been in the field when bird season opened before they moved it. But when their are standing crops nobody wants you in there knocking corn and milo over. Had 1 guy give me permission to hunt 1 standing corn field just so he knew where to hunt. Birds everywhere but the only shots were made by blockers because of the height of the corn.
    I still dont like the idea of them moving the season. It screwed up the mixed bag (pheasants and quail) for the eastern part of the state. Not as many hunters around this year either.

11. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Missouri opener is 01Nov, thereby making opening weekend the first weekend of Nov. Iowa and Neb. open the last Saturday of Oct. I believe South Dakota also changed their opener this year, I know they moved up legal shooting hours from noon to 10:00am this year.
    The decision to move KS to first weekend is obviously financial. The split between pheasant and quail could be viewed as positive for quail. For many years the state has watched quail number rise in the western areas of the state. I hope they continue to increase, but don't believe for one minute that the change in season openers was to benefit quail.
    I do not believe that hunters, merchants, or farmers benefitted from the change in seasons. If our presence is a nuisance or disturbs harvest time, without the help of farmers all we have are pen-raised "chickens" at game farms. I don't believe that the opener should be based on, or ever will coincide, with weather. Remember 2005 it was 70+ degrees the second weekend of Nov, and many western area hunters left the first day.
    The decision to move opening weekend for the profitable sport of pheasant hunting was strictly based on out-of-state licenses. If the number of out-of-state licenses was up, the season opener will remain the samer. If it was down, then the state will fabricate some excuse for changing it back without loosing face. Remember beauracrats never make a wrong decision, it must be someone elses fault. Simply a matter of dollars and lack of sense.

12. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Some of my uncles farm along with my dad and they were stuck in the field this year. Wasn't really a good year. Maybe next year things will be different. Kansas had a good thing going, why change?